invisible quarter

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

invisible quarter

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 9:00 am

i'm not sure of the exact name of this trick, but it's when you make an invisible quarter pass through a glass on to the top of a deck of cards, and the quarter actually appears. it's a gimmick that looks like about 10 or 15 bycicle cards, and you place it top of a deck (the quarter pops up through the gimmick). my question is, what is a good way to get the gimmick on to the deck of cards (you also need to remove about 10 or 15 cards so the deck looks normal size) and then get it off (plus put the 10 to 15 cards back on)? also, i'm having a problem keeping the quarter (and a penny) in the gimmick if i set it up first and keep it in my pocket or elsewehre (the quarter and or penny slips out).

thanks!
liver

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: invisible quarter

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 23rd, 2006, 9:46 am

They used to sell this at Tannen's with a gimmick made for quarters. Derek Dingle had a version using Half Dollars.
It's very difficult to make yourself because of the precision required for the cuts--unless a very good job is done you can clearly see them on the top of the deck.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 4:04 pm

Originally posted by liverlips:
my question is, what is a good way to get the gimmick on to the deck of cards (you also need to remove about 10 or 15 cards so the deck looks normal size) and then get it off (plus put the 10 to 15 cards back on)? also, i'm having a problem keeping the quarter (and a penny) in the gimmick if i set it up first and keep it in my pocket or elsewehre (the quarter and or penny slips out).
The normal thing is to switch the whole deck, not add and subtract the gimmick.

Have a deck with the gimmick in it in a cardbox in your pocket,(which should prevent the falling out problem) do a trick with a regular deck of cards, put the regular cards back in your pocket, and then say "You know, I have one more trick, but this one isn't really a card trick." (This will come as a relief to some people.)

Then pull out the gimmicked deck and do the trick.

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 4:09 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
It's very difficult to make yourself because of the precision required for the cuts--unless a very good job is done you can clearly see them on the top of the deck.
I've seen this version demonstrated repeatedly, and it's always looked good.

And you can hand out the penny to be examined. :)

Return to “General”