John Farentino

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

John Farentino

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 12:14 am

Hey Folks,

I recently saw the IMS Vol 37 clip featuring comedy magician John Farentino. The video looked like a mid 90's production and is a complete riot. The only thing I could find on the net about John was a blurb about him performing a cruise show in 2002.

His act was like crossing a turbo-charged John Goodman with Aldo Colombini. Anybody know if he is still performing and where?

Thanks

Re: John Farentino

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 1:37 am

John's last name is Ferrentino. I believe he works mainly cruise ships now.

I last saw him perform about 20 years ago. A funny act...

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 8th, 2007, 2:32 am

John Ferrentinos is one of the great acts in show business (and Im ticked off that I didnt add him to my list). He is currently under a (I believe) exclusive contract with Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Dustin

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 8:24 am

Thanks guys.

I googled a couple of versions of his name but not the one provided here. The correction is appreciated. He could probably film his new act, throw in a bit of instruction and I'm sure it would sell very well.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 8:41 am

Now that I have the right spelling, he popped right up. For those of you unfamiliar with him here are a few links:

His homepage
http://www.kindofmagic.net/

Demo of his act
http://www.kindofmagic.net/html/video.html
(much more sophisticated than the act I saw)

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 3:04 pm

Used to talk/communicate with John fairly regularly. I ended up buying a Collector's Workshop "Power Chopper" from him that he had used on a Fox TV special a while back. We discussed several other items, too. He was the originator of the FIRST "[censored] Blendo" (and it was SUPPOSED to look nothing like it did in its final incarnation), and several other cool items. How many people have owned a John Ferrentino "Ring in Dead Frog"? People are paying upwards of $300 for those things, when you can find 'em!

Very entertaining guy.

Steve

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Along with Bob Read and Joe DeLion, John's comedy act killed at the first NY Magic Symposium in '82.

I've done a routine a lot which he published in The Magic Manuscript in the '80s (silk, cane, peanut brittle cans, snake). Good fun!

I think he lives in Florida now.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I watched the promo video (which is faaaar too long) and I guess I don't see what's so distinctive about it.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 6:23 pm

The video demo doesn't do his act justice. That was just for promo purposes. You'd have to see him live or check out the IMS video. That is where he shines.
The toilet plunger on spectator's head was what really killed me.

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2007, 6:33 pm

The Power Chopper is an intense illusion. There is one floating around the net for nearly three grand. Must be nice to have something that good to use in a show.

I'm so poor that when I perform the "Snowstorm in China" I use popcorn just to have something to eat after the show.

:help:

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 7:36 am

I'm so poor that when I perform the "Snowstorm in China" I use popcorn just to have something to eat after the show.
Ba-Dump-Bump

tripster

Postby tripster » April 13th, 2008, 1:48 pm

I have been hunting the net in search of this prop for a comedy card routine. If anybody knows where it is, let me know.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » April 13th, 2008, 5:53 pm

How is it that someone who is "unregistered" gets to post?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 13th, 2008, 6:03 pm

David,
That post was made a year ago, prior to the move to the new forum software. Whoever it was had to have been registered at the time -- I imagine their info never made it over to the new system.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » April 13th, 2008, 11:57 pm

John did many shows at the old Tannen's conventions. At one point I thought he was funnier than Michael Finney, but now I see much deeper into Finney's brilliance.

Return to “General”