A New Card Trick

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

A New Card Trick

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 12:45 pm

Hello everybody.

I have to be honest and say that I have raised the query below already over at the Magic Cafe as that is where my son Tom spends most of his time. However in all candour I have to say that the responses to date make me wonder whether they are all simpletons over there.

Tom has told me that he finds this forum a bit boring but he is young and it may be that he confuses maturity and careful thought with boredom. Anyway here is my Cafe post and I look forward to your responses.

Hello Magic Caf (Obviously this is now Hello Genii)

Please have a look at the new trick that my son Thomas has produced and let me know what you think.

http://media.putfile.com/The-SAS-Card

There is also a close up of the last stage here:

http://media.putfile.com/SAS-Card-Close-Up

This is the first time that I have posted at the caf (Genii) and I am looking for advice as to how best to sell this trick. We are in need of money at the moment as my husbands ( I will refrain from telling you what I think of HIM as bad language has no place on a public forum !!!) self-employed liquor business is struggling as the locals wrecked his still. This follows an unfortunate incident with a neighbours pig and my son Pete (WHO IS IN JAIL HA HA!) for which we did apologise, but for which people will not let bygones be bygones.

My son Thomas (bless him) came up with this trick after seeing the Razors Edge (He only found this trick by accident as he thought that it was something to do with the WWE) and thinking he could do better and I certainly think we could charge a decent amount for this trick. But how to go about selling it?. This is where I would appreciate your help.

Also if there are any of the famous people on here who could help us sell the trick by giving a quote, like people do on the back of books, then this would be great also. My son would be only too pleased to reciprocate when he is rich and famous. This day isnt that far off as we think he will get a million dollars from the JREF foundation when he performs for them. (Perhaps more if the cheapskates are willing to up the ante).

I can think of things like Should go for $400 to keep it in the hands of true professionals and Made from space age materials so please try to be a bit more inventive. Can I ask that only famous people give me quotes as, with all respect, some of you probably dont have that much clout in the magic business.

I have asked my brother Mike to do the demo as Tom is on the way to recovery following an accident walking on red hot coals (the fire brigade say that he used too much petrol, but are they professional magicians I ASK YOU!!!). Mike isnt the best in the world but is at a loose end following some FINANCIAL IRREGULARITIES in England. As another bit of advice can anyone tell me if there is an extradition agreement between the UK and the Appalachians where we are now living. (Mike actually lives in a hollowed out space at the back of the settee but DONT TELL ANYONE !!!).

Anyway I have used up a lot of your time so Ill let you look at the trick and let me know what you think.

Yours sincerely,

Edith

Re: A New Card Trick

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2005, 3:37 pm

What a hoot! I greatly enjoed the videos and the family history.

Having famous magicians use and the review the product, designing the proper packaging and working out contracts with the various magic dealers will take several months.

I believe you should plan the official roll-out date to be April 1, 2006.

Best of luck.

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2005, 12:44 pm

David,

Thank you very much for your post. It is the most optimistic response I have had since I begun talking about my Tom's trick on the net. Frankly I am so glad that I have come over to the Genii forums where people seem inclined to talk sense.

I am embarrassed to say that I only posted on the Cafe in the first instance as I was attracted to that nice Mr Brooks . I have always had a thing for large gentlemen of a certain age that dress as leprechauns.( This due to a mispent youth in Ireland, BUT WE WON'T GO THERE !!!!). Sadly however there seems to be no place for middle-aged ladies on the Cafe and I have been BANNED ! Its strange isn't it that most of the posters on there seem to spend a lot of their time showing their tricks to older ladies, either wives or mothers, but should one try to express ones opinion then that is frowned upon. I shall certainly think twice in future before I let Tom bore me with one of his card tricks. ( I am shamed to say that there is a certain relief in the fact that, since his accident, he no longer performs quite so frequently as the cards tend to stick to his scabs. BUT HE WILL KEEP PICKING THEM !!!)

Anyway, back to the point at hand. You express an opinion that I may start to see income from April 2006, which is fantastic isn't it ? Do you think this is enough for me to try and get an advance from the Social Security. I would try the banks but, since Uncle Mikes problems, I am wary of financial institutions. Could I use your opinion with the Social Security to try and get some money. Are you someone famous in the magic business whose opinion will matter? Do you know anyone famous who you could talk to for me?

Whatever, my darling, I thank you for your best wishes.

Love Edith.

Joe McIntyre

Postby Joe McIntyre » November 21st, 2005, 2:57 pm

I wonder are you from the north east part of US

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » November 21st, 2005, 8:33 pm

Mrs. Edith's demeanor and bearing could imply that she is a southern belle...probably the product of one of the older families of some considerable standing and taste...
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2005, 1:29 am

Edith;

Such a fine creation as this will undoubtedly set the magic world alight. I am no expert, but I would imagine most magicians in the world will want two of them - one for every day use, one to keep for its collector's value. Why let a magic dealer benefit from that?

Thinking about a Social Security advance is thinking small - you need to think big here, have faith in your son's creative juices. I'd suggest you take out a second mortgage on your house, and purchase a small factory to make the prop necessary for the trick. And start thinking about your dream retirement home!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 22nd, 2005, 2:09 pm

My new chiropractor is a magician. He fixed Aye Jaye... I think. :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2005, 8:56 am

Originally posted by Mrs Edith Parboil:

....I am embarrassed to say that I only posted on the Cafe in the first instance as I was attracted to that nice Mr Brooks . I have always had a thing for large gentlemen of a certain age that dress as leprechauns.( This due to a mispent youth in Ireland, BUT WE WON'T GO THERE !!!!). Sadly however there seems to be no place for middle-aged ladies on the Cafe and I have been BANNED !
Oh my dear lady...don't bother re the Cafe.. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club...
(It might be an honour to get banned therefrom..ever thought about that? ;) )

I'm banned therefrom too..and you know what?

I don't even will get back there after their gratious bann of soley 45 days..
Who cares...tell ppl the truth and they'll not like it ;)

May their god be with them... :p and don't bother too much re that nice gentleman dressed as aleprechaun, it might be an oooold picture :D

Just keep us informed re your sons inventions and your familys history, it's always interesting to read about 'life' in general and especially specific ppls..just keep those postings coming..let's se how long it will take before they get deleted here too..after all you did register here around 2003..well done TL :D

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 23rd, 2005, 10:01 am

One wonders if Mrs. Parboil's maiden name is Lewis.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 24th, 2005, 4:43 am

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
One wonders if Mrs. Parboil's maiden name is Lewis.
D'ya reckon?

:p

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2005, 11:34 am

She's not Mark Lewis (who was "Ramone" until I locked the bastard out again).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2005, 11:45 am

Those missing Mark, can always find him at *The Busker's Cafe American* ;)

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Hello Gentlemen and thank you very much for your interest (although if I have a minor criticism its that you all stray a BIT OFF TOPIC!)

Bill and Joe, I am originally from Bury in the North of England (Where the black puddings come from. For those that don't know, Black Pudding is a tasty Northern English dish made from boiled pigs blood. Yummy). The only reason I can think for your confusion is that I have watched Gone With The Wind 87 times !!!

DomT (Thats not short hand for one of those leather clad exhibitionists is it !), your post was really heart warming and I think your idea has lots of merit. Unfortunately to try and extricate us from our previous financial problems Uncle Mike has taken out a number of second mortgages so I am seriously short of room to move there.

Pete Biro. You are famous !!! My Tom says you know all there is to know about selling magic. Its a shame then that I cannot make head or tale of your post. Please if you have some time for advice or a supportive quote for my packaging that would be a great help. I don't think "My new chiropractor is a magician" will sell many effects do you. Incidentally I cannot believe a lovely man like you has bad feet.

Werner my dear, I do sympathise with your banning plight. I do however have to side with people who are trying to sell effects that are potentially nearly as good as my Tom's. You have a habit on the Cafe of being like that naughty little boy who says that the emperor has no clothes on when people are just trying to earn an honest living selling the lovely ideas that come into their heads. I hope you can be more positive about my Tom's effort.

Finally I can set the arguments to rest by confirming that my maiden name is Frogspawn, you can see why I made the mistake of rushing into marriage with somebody who could give me a better name.(THE PIG!!)

Now Uncle Mike has had a brilliant idea. He has found a supply of simulated crocodile skin plastic wallets at the local Woolworths and we think it would be a good idea to swap the playing card for a wallet in the above effect. Instead of calling it the SAS card we could then call it the Destroyer Wallet and charge ten times as much. Uncle Mike doesn't have many good ideas (as his jail record testifies) but I have to admit that this is a doozy. What do you lovely men think ?

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Werner my dear, I do sympathise with your banning plight. I do however have to side with people who are trying to sell effects that are potentially nearly as good as my Tom's. You have a habit on the Cafe of being like that naughty little boy who says that the emperor has no clothes on when people are just trying to earn an honest living selling the lovely ideas that come into their heads. I hope you can be more positive about my Tom's effort.
Yes dear lady... :D
Your Tom's effort might be great, it somehow depends on who makes his coins...watch out for that guy...what was his name?..ah..you find out... ;)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 25th, 2005, 5:27 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
She's not Mark Lewis (who was "Ramone" until I locked the bastard out again).
It reads like him so much. Must have been seperated at birth.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2005, 6:13 am

..... You have a habit on the Cafe of being like that naughty little boy who says that the emperor has no clothes on....
Yeah... ;) nice to know there are some educated ppl here at this board that once DID read Hans Christian Andersen.. :)

Return to “General”