Magicians Bag

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Magicians Bag

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Hi There,

I am looking for a case, bag, somthing that I can carry my magic around in. I would like something like a doctors bag/ satchel... but I was wondering what you all used.

I'm still in practice mode and showing off to my friends, but if I were to some day do restaurant walkarounds, corp. events, etc...

thanks for your help.

Re: Magicians Bag

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Go to eBay and search for "doctor's bag." They usually have a variety of styles and prices.

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 1:45 pm

I'm using a small solid black tool bag sold at Sears. Has pockets on the sides and wired to stay open when opened. Zipper shut tight when traveling.

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 2:34 pm

I used a doctors bag when I did walkaround. I got it off ebay.
There is a problem with doctors bag in that the holding of doctors equipment is a little different than the holding of magic props. To help me I got some foam padding and carved out the different holes and things I needed.

Hope it helps.

Gord

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 4:15 pm

Take a look at the Domke Camera bag. It's very roomy and will stay on your shoulder if you want it to. I had one that carried my camera equipment for over 30 years .... it now carries magic props.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 19th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Being a photographer I have several camera bags and some work great for magic.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 9:17 pm

I just use my pockets... ;)

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2007, 10:30 pm

The more you learn to do, the less you have to carry.

I found a really nifty "doctor's bag" at a truck stop a few years ago. It was cheap and would hold everything I could possibly want to use in a close-up show. But I carry all I need in my pockets, so I don't need the bag any more. I use it for a small tool bag now.

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2007, 10:03 am

Here's a neat bag:

Duluth Trading Company

I just wish it were available in black.

The Doctor's bags that I have seen won't stay open, which I prefer.

sam

George Olson

Postby George Olson » January 25th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Go to your closest Art Supply store and check out the Artist Cases. The one I've got is about 14" cubed. It has drawers, a tall space that holds the cups, an area in the lid for the close up pad, et al.

Everything goes in and out in order. Get to the gig, load up, work, put away and move on.

GO

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 8:06 am

I prefer a lawyers briefcase -- larger dimensions than a doctors bag, with the same sort of gatemouth stay-open top. It's easy to work out of for stand-up work, and very professional looking (mine is black leather). For strolling, I don't use a bag.

Best,
Neil Tobin

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 1:48 pm

I keep my closeup in a makeup bag (or cosmetics case). You can pick them up at various styles from cheap to expensive, utilitarian to classy. Available at department stores, cosmetic counters, etc. Many have a mirror built in for you to do a quick check before performing. I work directly from my pockets, but I can return to the bag once or twice a night to reload or shift routines.

And, no, they don't all look girlie. Mine is plain black. (Ok, yes, it does have a big picture of Hello Kitty jumping rope on the outside, but I added that as a sticker.)

e

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 13th, 2007, 2:04 pm

I use what I think is called a catalog case (opens at the top). On a much smaller scale, Joshua Jay sells a niftly little item called the Pro Carrier that you wear on your belt. It holds a deck of cards, some coins, and some gaffed cards.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I believe Eric is referring to what is commonly referred to as a "train case." They are constructed along the lines of tackle boxes (tray upon tray, with a larger space at the bottom), only with far nicer materials. My local drugstore has them in good-looking aluminum for about $20.

Best,
Neil

P.S. Hello Kitty rules.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 2:37 pm

I used to use a silver briefcase that was made for camera equipment..but stopped after it was stolen from my backseat of my car..imagine their surprise not to find camera stuff but sponge balls and such. I use my pockets now and experience, learn to do things around your surroundings.

Charlie

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 13th, 2007, 3:47 pm

The late Bob Read had the best idea: a violin case.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » February 13th, 2007, 4:29 pm

Home Depot has a CONTRACTORS BAG that opens like a doctors bag. It does have an industrial look, but that could suit some performers.

Also, my local Bombay Company has a chess/checker set that folds up like a library book. I've always thought it could be used for an interesting close-up case. I couldn't find it on their website.

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Dr. Jaks used a box that looked like an old book to carry his props. Bombay Company does indeed have something that would work for this (it's an idea I toyed with for a little while):
http://www.bombaycompany.com/gp/product ... DUPX2Z8M59

Also, although half the size, here's a cool book-shaped box that cannot be opened unless you know the secret:
http://www.bitsandpieces.com/%5EBrainte ... W7158.html

Best,
Neil

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2007, 7:16 pm

And Dr. Jaks' Book of Secrets can be seen in Klosterman's new book Salon de Magie.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2007, 1:38 am

I just use my pockets. I perform magic for a living and don't want to arrive/perform looking like a doctor.

I think it's best to use pockets, but NOT to fatten them out. You still need to look 'slim', so - slim props are best.

Also, when I work - I HAVE to carry my car/house keys, money, contract (for gig) etc... There never is anywhere to leave it/them!

1) Playing Cards - easy
2) Kaps Wallet - easy
3) Rope - hang from belt
4) Cups & Balls - use wine glasses! (As a friend does...YES, clear glass!)
5) Handkerchief effects - use napkins
6) Packet Tricks - easy
7) Scissors (for point 3) - in mobile/cell phone jacket pouch. NOTE: I use ROUNDED end MINI scissors

EASY to do 2 hours with NO case!

Anyway, 90% of my work is done with a deck of cards, my diary trick (flat), my "always different card" version of magician's policy (flat) and a few packet tricks I do.

I NEVER do effects that can cause CLAIMS. I NEVER do tricks with finger rings (I know a magician who got stuffed by a client denying ring in wallet was hers), fire or card to ceiling. Yet again, a magician in UK did card to ceiling...hit expensive cornice...it fell and smashed onto a grand piano! THEN, a chip of wood hit a client! BAD NEWS! Funny NOW - but not then!

Anyway....just a few thoughts!

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Wow Paul, I think you may have hit upon a solution that's better than Bob Read's: keep your props in a piano.

Best,
Neil

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2007, 9:10 am

Often even for stage shows on the road, all I need for props are two briefcase type tool boxes like Home Depot sells (better ones do have better handles), and a cat carrier with live doves.

If you work with silk, rope, doves, newspaper, eggs, etc. even in stage shows it doesn't take a lot.

I do have a real doctor's bag and have used it. But square things just stack better.

Your character you play in your shows will determine a lot of what is appropriate.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2007, 10:15 am

If you want the silver-and-chrome briefcase look, but don't want to spend a lot of money, got to Toys R Us and check out the Intec-brand "travel cases" for Playstation, Xbox, and so on. They come in a variety of sizes, have internal foam and straps for securing items, and cost only $20-40.

Here's a link http://tinyurl.com/3agzub

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2007, 6:55 pm

This fine bag seems to have an air of mystery about it- before you perform the magic!
Bag

Return to “General”