Help locating a book

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Help locating a book

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2003, 8:13 pm

About twenty four years ago there was a cable tv program showing performers at the Magic Castle. A coin man blew me away. He was dressed in a tuxedo and continued to make a quarter appear and disappear for two ladies. It seemed to always appear under a salt shaker. He would put it in there hands but it would vanish again to be found under a salt shaker.

Anyway about seventeen years ago he published a book of his routine with lots of pictures. The book was a large one with a slip cover to protect the binding. It reatailed for about forty dollars.

Who was the magician, what was the name of the book, and can the book still be obtained?

I have been regretting not getting that book for the last seventeen years.

Thanks for racking your brain.

:confused: :help: Harold :help: :confused:

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Help locating a book

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 29th, 2003, 8:29 pm

Based on your description (coins appearing under the salt shaker, etc.), I'd say it was Albert Goshman. The book you're looking for is "Magic By Gosh", and was written by Patrick Page and Albert Goshman. I picked up the book not too long ago at Tannen's, so you'd probably be able to find it.

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2003, 1:08 am

I just (two minutes ago)found four copies at prices of $30 and $35 at
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL

luigimar

Postby luigimar » April 30th, 2003, 5:03 pm

Yeah, and better hurry up because The Great Albert Goshman died a few years ago and those books will be (are?) collector's items. I bought it about 15 years ago and it's a great book.

luigimar
luigimar

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2003, 7:09 am

Some years ago I either lost or sold my copy by accident. If you have it, you'll know it was mine because Mr. Goshman autographed it for me. :mad:

If you find this particular copy during your search, I would love to buy it back.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 1st, 2003, 3:14 pm

There was a companion video of Mr Goshman performing his act and then explaining it. Fortunately I have both and autographed.

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2003, 7:23 pm

The book, "Magic by Gosh" and the companion video tape are still available and in print. Your favorite magic dealer can order it through Murphy's Magic Supplies.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com

Return to “General”