Last 48 hours what have you all been doing in Magic

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Last 48 hours what have you all been doing in Magic

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 4:13 am

I have been reading Paul Daniels autobiography , Working from my Basic card technique video , Working from the Tarbell course in magic and Mark Wilsons complete course in magic

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Last 48 hours what have you all been doing in Magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2005, 8:31 am

I've been finishing up proofing the September issue (Daryl is on the cover); working ahead on the October, November, and December issues; and finishing up the book I've been writing for Criss Angel.
Now I'll take a nap.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 9:01 am

On Friday night, I went to an Al James lecture at Tim Felix's Midwest Magic. Since then, I've been reading Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne and the first (back) issue of Antinomy. Mid day yesterday, I had a bike accident, fracturing my left elbow, so left hand practicing will have to wait (but my wife is encouraging me to find a way to use my sling in effects--any ideas?)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 31st, 2005, 10:41 am

Originally posted by WarlockDrummer:
fracturing my left elbow, so left hand practicing will have to wait (but my wife is encouraging me to find a way to use my sling in effects--any ideas?)
What about using it as an outragously cheeky topit?

or a servante - could put a load in it for a cup routine...

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 10:57 am

"Hosting The World's Greatest Magic Show" to packed audiences...Listening to my Canary Sing as my Chihauaha lays at my feet on her back awaiting a "belly rub" while playing my Cello using the Right side of my brain,letting the left side of my brain solve a problem I have "created" for myself concerning Billy McComb's Slow Motion Bird Cage Vanish. Then back to work tonite with Kevin James,
Joseph Gabriel,The Majestix,and Arden James, Derek Roberts,Chris Randall, where in the dressing room we are discussing Chris Angel,
Leonardo da Vinci and The Renaisance,
How excited we are about Shimada coming into the show for 3 weeks,
and how amazed everyone is that I can cuss so much backstage but never slip onstage...
I'm in #@%*ing "Magic Heaven"

MBJ

Postby MBJ » July 31st, 2005, 11:06 am

Besides recovering from surgery, I've been trying to finish my website, tighten up my show, and getting products ready for the Houdini conference in Wisconsin.
"That's my story and I'm Stickin' to it!"

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2005, 11:23 am

Kozak, you rock! I've got to see the show next time I'm in Vegas. Shimada is great--would love to see the reaction of laymen to his act.

Jack Skalon: what Houdini conference in Wisconsin? It was my understanding that Houdini Days had been cancelled this year.

Warlock Drummer: draw a full-size playing card on the underside of your cast. Force the same card via your favorite method (in your case, at the moment, that's probably going to be the Cross-Cut Force, though the Cut-Deeper Force can also be done by the spectator). You know the rest.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 31st, 2005, 11:39 am

In addition to the Cut Deeper force I've had good luck with the following...

Hold a greek break below the force card and ask someone to cut off about "half the pack". As they reach towards you apply a small amount of pressure on the outer corner with your thumb.

Time it so that the break at the inner end opens just as they grab the top half. Have then look at the card and drop it back on the pack...

Time delay... revelation.

I've also had good luck using this with a known number of cards as an "estimation" demo.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 31st, 2005, 11:40 am

Koz, thanks for the mention and the picture in your MAGIC Magazine interview this month. You know the meaning of friendship and loyalty. You know my hat's always off to you.

In the last 48 hours I've made parts for 26 Tabman wands for a commercial client in Virginia, ground and polished two brass Jumbo Card Guillotine blades, shipped 6 custom wands to six magicians, finished and shipped a Stacker table, two chip stack sets, assembled parts for a jumbo card guillotine and spent several hours working on an idea for a southern magic makers cooperative with some of the potential members.

I have to head to Georgia in a few days to work on getting ready to move the caravan down there. Check out the future digs in the old cotton town.

http://questx.com/dmv/leslie-dmv.jpg

Also, talked my way out of doing some card tricks for a couple of underaged brats, er um I mean delightful youngsters, laid out a materials list for a custom guillotine, looked at some old pictures of the Wicked Show with Kozak (are there any pictures from the Mayhem Show, Koz???), drilled out some small dice and inlayed magnets in them and took a few orders for my chip magic.

And thanks again Koz!!! You're the greatest guy, maybe of all time. Check out the photo I put in my Genii profile when I joined!!!

-=tabman

Post Script: To check a Genii member's profile, you just click on their name to the left of their message.

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 1:15 pm

In the past 48 hours I have been repackaging my four acts of mentalism and putting the materials in their proper briefcases.

I had decided that the mix of bizarre, straight mental magic, "fortune telling" psychic stuff, and more "believably scientific" stuff like numerology and readings from finger prints, I was using was not what I wanted -- so I have segregated these to offer as more specificly themed "shows."

I have also been working on my list of illusions and tricks for sale from my larger show and collection -- everything from my sawings and magician's revenge to small silks. Stopped on that list when I hit $40,000 in big "stuff."

Put together a package of stuff for Bill Palmer to use in his Newe Amsterdam Tarrocchi Diary (my latest arcane creation.)

The I read a little of Osterlind and C. A. George Newman. Put a few more lines into an article I am preparing for Genii on Eric Buss (Still need pictures from him).

Its great to be back to work........but darn -- none of that made me any money.

MBJ

Postby MBJ » July 31st, 2005, 1:28 pm

Richard,
Here is the link:

http://www.houdiniclubofwisconsin.com/Convention.htm

My buddy/ business partner Al Bach is one of the lecturers and while I can't be there, he will also be demoing some products we have developed (MagicNow and J&A Productions).

Jack
"That's my story and I'm Stickin' to it!"

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 31st, 2005, 8:06 pm

last 48 hours i've been on a Barrie Richardson kick...working on "The Impossible Knot Routine," "The Astonishing Rice Jar Suspension," and experimenting some with his approaches to the center tear...I've also been working on a new promo kit and preparing for some interviews/meetings this week...

best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » August 1st, 2005, 8:55 am

I've been spending time working on Daniel Garcia's "Torn", plus watching the new Aldo Colombini DVD set. Several things in there are definite additions to the "must work on" list.

Jeremy

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 1st, 2005, 9:06 am

I've been trying to figure out how to get my new VCR/DVD player/recorder/dubber to work, and to try and re-thread/splice a broken video tape.

And been watching the stuff I have on ebay getting bids (check 'em out)... and wondering why it has taken so long for Las Vegas to discover Kozak!

Been checking out locations for a photo shoot of "ME" (heheheh, now I need someone to take the pictures)...

And looking over the 350 photos I took of Criss Angel... WOWOWOWOWOW is he good.

Trying to "edit down" the 3,500 photos I took recently on a trip to England/France/Spain and back. Gotta get another hard drive.

Tab... what? You moving?
Stay tooned.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 1st, 2005, 10:11 am

Mainly been doing some research for my book on Nate Leipzig. Tracking down family members, finding reviews of his shows, going through old magazines and books for effects that may not be as well known as his others (i.e., stuff that didn't appear in Stars of Magic or the Vernon book), trying to find correct explanations of his effects that appeared in the Vernon book and SoM, etc.

-Jim

Terrence

Postby Terrence » August 1st, 2005, 12:49 pm

In the last 48 hours, I have:

continued perfecting my Color Monte variation,

been learning John Bannon's "Bullet Train",

enjoyed reading several old "Magic Circular" issues in the Magic Castle library, after attending a lecture by Ivan Amodei, and then hanging out with some of the Sunday night regulars.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 1st, 2005, 9:51 pm

In the past 48 hours I have taken a break from writing Scripting Magic to write an article for Genii on the upcoming world's first magic film festival.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 2nd, 2005, 5:46 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro: Tab... what? You moving?
In the midst of everything else I have decided to move back to south Georgia to be there for my antique mom during her last years so I bought a small house in Leslie GA, an old railroad/cotton town of 447. It's about 12 miles from my mom's place. I know I will miss this spread here in TN. I don't xpect to be moved for months yet but I'm working my way in that direction.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 3:24 pm

The last 48 hours sounds so final to a guy that started out riding against 8 seconds! But then that would also be 21,600 bronc or bulls to ride.

I have not gotten that much done in the last 48 hours.

I have recropped near 200 publicity photographs. (Pete, you can appreciate that.) Read Magic Magazine for August. (Congratulations Kozak! Thanks for remembering my buddy The Tabman too. He's something special and especially to us in PMZZ.) Inventoried boxes of jumbo card tricks, returned 39 emails, invented a Texas card routine to do with a group of magicians tonight in Birmingham, made a dozen backup music CDs for our stage show, spent two days chasing lawyers that I can"t get on the phone, played with my doves, and gotten ready for SEAM 2005 Thursday.

Forty-eight hours from now I will be waiting at SEAM to start my silk lecture with Michael Baker and to see Rick Rhul and Scott Compton do their stage shows.

SEAM will be fun. I hope we see you all there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Gord

Postby Gord » August 6th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Well to begin with I've done two shifts at work (Saturday ovetime, it sucks but it pays the bills.)
I've been negotiating the release of footage of my act from several years ago, taken during a very bad skit comedy show. (The show was bad, I wasn't.)
I've also been negotiating the possibility of performing a full evening parlor show in the smaller theater in my towns new performing arts building, due to open around October of 2006.
I've also been knee deep in researching effects for said show. (Freakin' books are everywhere.)

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 7th, 2005, 2:11 pm

I've been reworking the cups and balls museum web site, as well as inventing a new routine for the Jonah card.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2005, 11:30 pm

Video taping EVERYTHING on my spiffy new digital video camera w/ tripod.

Take 5!

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2005, 9:12 am

Talking to a client about a high-pay9jng trade show, and have nearly got the job (cross fingers). At lunch with the client yeseterday, I did a center tear and coin in sugar packet. They both kilt.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 17th, 2005, 9:24 am

Contacted one of the editor/gatekeepers at Wiki and invited them to discuss method/exposure issues here.

Also groused at someone for describing one of Mickey Silver's new coin tricks.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2005, 2:27 pm

I've been working on the final touches of an 8-10 minute card routine that I've been putting together for about 3 months now.

Also, spent last night watching Tamariz's Greater Magic Video that a friend gave me for my birthday. Juan-derful material!!!

Rick

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » August 20th, 2005, 3:30 pm

The last 48 hours, huh?

Performed my "Supernatural Chicago" show at Excalibur last night.

Worked on some new ideas for my Harry Potter-themed show, which I'm performing on Wednesdays this month at a small theater in the suburbs.

Put some time into filling a product order from Murphy's Magic.

Began website building for the artisan who crafted the wands used as First, Second and Third Place trophies at the Chicago Close-Up Magic Competition (www.fortresswands.com)

Spent way too much time visiting the various magic and mentalism forums online.

FINALLY bought the entire set of Tarbell books (blush)...second-hand, and for a great price!

Best,
Neil Tobin

P.S. Get well soon, Winton! In the meantime, your sling might be a handy place to display predictions (with an Ostin clip). Or a great excuse to learn some Tamariz material. NT
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Conus

Postby Conus » August 20th, 2005, 4:45 pm

The last 48 hours...

Put the finishing touches on Gregg Webb's new Web site - here's the URL...
http://feenx.net

Gregg's new site provides instant downloads of his HOT new magic e-books as seen in GENII Magazine :)

With that finished, I was able to begin reading the new September issue of Genii (DARYL on cover). It sat on my desk, taunting me the last couple of days while I finished Gregg's Web site.

I also put together a fast quote and a development plan for a new magic Web site for a friend-of-a-friend.

In the off moments, I worked on some of my coin routines. I also started working on some new stuff by Jon Racherbaumer and Jon Carney.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2005, 11:33 pm

I've been reading Strong Magic by Daniel Ortiz,
Practicing Daniel Garcia's Torn, Practicing Generation X, by Brian Tudor, and working on my Cobra Cut.

PAN DAEM AEON
(sic)

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 28th, 2005, 11:39 am

Originally posted by C.H.Mara:

Put together a package of stuff for Bill Palmer to use in his Newe Amsterdam Tarrocchi Diary (my latest arcane creation.)

I'm not holding my breath.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 29th, 2005, 2:54 am

Writing, writing, writing, writing.

And editing The Magic Circular.

Reading David Acer's new book.

Writing. Editing.

Who has time for anything else.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2005, 11:29 am

reading By Forces Unseen and just purchased On the Pass by Richard Kaufman on ebay.

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » August 30th, 2005, 4:55 am

Trying to find a set of Gary Plants "Poor Charlie" cards.

Return to “General”