Sleights Practice Routine

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
thumbslinger

Sleights Practice Routine

Postby thumbslinger » August 31st, 2003, 6:50 pm

Being a guitarist for 20 years, I know the importance of practicing something 'correctly' slowly so he fingers remember/learn the right thing.

Does this go for sleights as well? Should one really learn a Hermann Pass and then a coffin pass? Should a French-Drop be learned before a pinch vanish?

Just wondering if certain moves really help as a foundation rather than just the seemingly obvious "you should walk before running' type of argument.

thanks
Hey....hey.. it's just for fun, next lifetime you won't even remember who you were.

Steve V

Re: Sleights Practice Routine

Postby Steve V » September 1st, 2003, 1:11 am

I don't know what a coffin pass is but would be interested in knowing. As for the general question I learned sleight of hand on a 'need to know' basis. There are some sleight collectors who need 100 types of double lift, I have a couple. I think that if the first sleight you need is a pass then that is the one you learn, it will be different for each person.
Steve V
Steve V

Michael Kamen

Postby Michael Kamen » September 1st, 2003, 6:58 am

Originally posted by Kelly Johnson:
. . .Does this go for sleights as well? Should one really learn a Hermann Pass and then a coffin pass? Should a French-Drop be learned before a pinch vanish?. . .
Hi Kelly,
I also studied guitar for many years, but later in life after learning magic in my youth. I would suggest you use all the good practice you developed through music, and apply every one of them to magic. Most good magic books start with foundations and build from there. But also I would suggest you practice moves s l o w l y (and in tempo) until you have matered them correctly -- same as you did when you learned a new guitar fingering.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Kamen

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2003, 7:19 pm

As far as the " Coffin Pass " is I have never heard of it but Ray Kosby had a trick/move called the " Ciffin Change " in print in the book " Spectacle ". It's neat, i've seen him do it....Mike

Steve V

Postby Steve V » September 1st, 2003, 8:38 pm

Man....watching Ray work made me realize how bad I am at magic. He takes moves and does them so beautifully (kind of like Reed Mclintock) that one wants to duplicate it and just cannot do it.
Steve V
Steve V

thumbslinger

Postby thumbslinger » September 1st, 2003, 10:03 pm

thanks guys. I know many times it just helps to hear what others think.

As for a 'Coffin Pass,' that's what the move is called at www.e-magictrick.com in the 'Sleights" section with all those video tutorials.

I stumbled upon a similar move many years ago and now see it was probably what this Coffin Pass is, a hinged-joint rollover.

Anyway, thanks again for the input.
Hey....hey.. it's just for fun, next lifetime you won't even remember who you were.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » September 2nd, 2003, 2:10 pm

I think you're referring to the Coughin' Pass. Have a card selected and returned and hold a break. Then start to cough uncontrollably to divert attention from your hands. As the spectator pats you on the back and asks if you're all right, do a classic pass to control the card to the top. Another version is Dingle's Cockroach Pass in which the classic pass is made as you turn your back to stomp on a cockroach. Then there's my own verion called the Lights Out Pass, which only works in the dark....

Dennis Kyriakos

Postby Dennis Kyriakos » September 3rd, 2003, 11:26 am

Originally posted by Carl Mercurio:
Then there's my own verion called the Lights Out Pass, which only works in the dark....
So THAT'S the reason for that blackout!!! Damn!

Well, knowing Carl, I'm sure the inconvenience was well worth it.

You gotta gimme the work on that next time I see you, Bro!

Return to “General”