Skunks, Rabbits, and Blackstone Sr.

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Skunks, Rabbits, and Blackstone Sr.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 12:14 pm

Hey Fellas,

Are there any good books out there for training rabbits for magic acts? I've heard de-scented skunks that are spaded/neutered make great pets so naturally I was wondering if there is any material on training them also.

Skunks are quite different from rabbits so I'm sure the training process is unique. While on the subject of rabbits; is there a book with Blackstone's baby rabbit give-away routine? I saw a grainy clip of him doing it and it was amazing.

Thanks,

-R

Re: Skunks, Rabbits, and Blackstone Sr.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Sorry, can't help with rabbits. Skunks actually don't make very good pets, for although they are amiable enough, they are nocturnal so they tend to sack-out during daylight hours, and want to prowl around after dark.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » October 27th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Check with Joe Stevens.

In his discounted stuff, is a book on bunnies by David Emery a local guy.

"Training Rabbits For Fun And Profit (Book) (CL)
Formerly titled as "Complete Guide To Training Performing Bunnies". To date Dave & Helen Emery have successfully trained many bunnies without a single failure! And its easier than you thinklearn how to select the right bunny, house train it and teach it tricks. Practical step-by-step instructions for you and your bunny. Contents include: Where to get the right bunny, The Training Area, Bunnys First Trick, The Reward System, Dealing With Problems, The Dos & The Donts-plus much more! This book is ideal for anyone who loves bunnies at home and in their act! Regular price is $18.50.
$10.00"

GO

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Originally posted by rwgain02:
Hey Fellas,

Are there any good books out there for training rabbits for magic acts? I've heard de-scented skunks that are spaded/neutered make great pets so naturally I was wondering if there is any material on training them also.
I believe you mean "spayed."

Skunks are not hard to train, but you have to be willing to put a lot of time into the work. If you really want to work with one of these animals, you need to do more than "hear" that they make great pets. Ask someone who is a professional animal trainer what the downside of working with a skunk is.

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2007, 8:10 pm

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE USED EVERY CONCIEVABLE ANIMAL ON MY MAGIC SHOW, EVEN HAD A BABY ELEPHANT, AND A CHEETAH....SKUNKS DO NOT WORK WELL,,,THWY ALWAYS HAVE A ODOR,AND IN MANY STATES THEY ARE AGAINST THE LAW.....SAW BLACKSTONE DO THE GIVE AWAY MANY TIMES,,,FORGET IT IN THIS DAY AND AGE IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA,,,PETA WILL BE ON YOUR ASS. I STILL USE A RABBIT IN MY ACT WHO IS VERY SPOILED, AND HAS A GREAT LIFE,,,,(DONT FORGET, I SPENT 35 YEARS OUT ON THE ROAD 200DAYS A YEAR WITH MY FULL EVENING SHOW, WITH LOTS OF ANIMALS,,EFORE THAT I OWNED A CIRCUS FOR 7 YEARS,,SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, PLUS I AM A TRAINER) AS FOR RABBITS JUST BE NICEW TO THEM, WHATS TO TRAIN? DOVES ARE A DIFFERENT STORY.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2007, 1:58 pm

Thanks again guys. I like anything where the output equals the input and animals may not meet that criteria.

...and yes I meant spayed, not sure where my brain was at that moment. :)

Skunks are still cute and I don't think they eat their own poop like rabbits do. Animal work isn't for the faint of heart in either case. You input is appreciated and I will act accordingly.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Sorry, there are no books with Uncle Harry's or Cousin Harry's rabbit give away in them. I presume ur mean the rabbit production, then rabbit to box of candy, then a second rabbit production that he did with a child on the step of the stage. To be honest if you just watch a good clip of it, you will figure it out, Uncle Harry's "style" was pretty bold in its moves.

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2007, 7:40 pm

dad said that he would ask the audience who wants
a rabbit, and all the kids would say "I"

I forget the rest of the story as we were
talking about it most recently about the routine.

I have STM.

If you want to know more just bug me.

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2007, 8:27 am

Very good information, thanks. There were some clips out there of Blackstone's work it but I can't seem to located any at the moment. Does anyone know where a link to a farily clear version (video) of the routine can be found?

If I can get a good look I can probably figure it out as suggested. Without having a background in animal handling I wouldn't even know how he stores the "load" on his body.

...and I was referring specifically to the part where the rabbit appears from the paper and handed to the child. Normally I'm not a mushy guy but the finale was spectacular in its own way.

Blackstone continues to amaze...

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2007, 9:30 am

its refreshing that someone finds Sr. amazing
in this over-production era of today.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 11:12 pm

To Mai ling,,I guess thats why I dont watch magicians on television...to the chap wanting to do the rabitt from the newspaper,,,dont do it...I guess young magicians dont know about a simple black load bag pinned or sewn inside your coat....pick up paper with left hand, reach in to load with right hand behind cover of the paper, grasp bunny,,wrap in the paper, and all the rest is showmanship,,somehow,,I just cant see a young magi doing this bit. I saw HB sr. do it many times What a bit,,,,wow

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2007, 12:47 am

The only reason a rabitt would eat his own poop (as you put it) would be if you forgot to feed him..you should not be allowed to have animals. G--s creatures need a lot of love, and special care. many magicians should be put in a cage for a while.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 1:45 pm

Kramien thank you for the information on Blackstone's performance. My work has never included livestock so I am unfamiliar with loads and other apparatus.

I'm confused by the ire in your second post however. It seems there is some misunderstanding so I'd like to clear it up. I'm a disabled veteran so the "young magician" reference doesn't apply here and rabbits do eat their own waste.

Please take a moment to look up the intricacies of their digestive system online and you will see this is well-documented fact of their biology. Your comment that I should not have animals was out of line and I would appreciate an apology.

The goal of the origianl post was to learn more about Blackstone, not to have my ability to care for animals impugned.

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2007, 12:53 pm

please refer to the actual routine here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mai_ling/349268.html

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Thank you for the wonderful details of the trick Mai-ling. Please extend my deepest appreciation to your father as well. His enthusiasm is a testament to the joyous nature of magic.

Warm Regards,

Robert

Return to “General”