-----> whats the name iof this trick?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

-----> whats the name iof this trick?

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2004, 7:47 am

I have so many tricks I bought over the years and some I just forgot how they go. Here is one does anyone know the name of it????

I believe the trick goes like this I show a folder with a red record I take out the red record and show it to the audience I turn the folder around and I replace the red record to the folder I turn the folder around and the red record turns white then right in front of everyone I pull the white record out and it turns blue (in full view).

Does anyone know the name?

Thanks

Ian Kendall

Re: -----> whats the name iof this trick?

Postby Ian Kendall » July 26th, 2004, 8:13 am

Colour changing records springs to mind...

Take care, Ian

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 26th, 2004, 8:54 am

Yup . . . Color Changing Records. I have it storage somewhere. Problem with this effect is that CDs have dated it. Of course, the same thing can be done with CDs.

Ray Eden

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Yes, but why??? The strangest version is using cardboard 'records'... I've never understood the logic of this trick. It's another of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should do it" things. Oh yes - now I remember why magicians perform it - it's cheap and easy to do! --Asrah

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 26th, 2004, 10:07 pm

Asrah . . . do magicians really do it? I can't recall ever actually seeing it performed. At least in recent history (maybe I've just been lucky). I think that I did it once or twice back in the late '70's when I was just getting started, but it soon found a very special place on my 'junk magic' shelf.

Nicolas Night has a great CD color change routine (called 'Virus') - with no sleeves - using card sleights in his lecture notes. He told me that it was going to be marketed, but I haven't seen it appear yet.

Ray Eden

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » July 27th, 2004, 3:24 pm

I remember the Tenyo cardboard colour changing records from my early days of trick buying. Pavel used to sell a much more visual version with coloured rings and a transparent pocket (plus cover) that sold out instantly after he demonstrated it at one of Ron MacMillan's conventions - must have been in the late 70s.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2004, 6:58 pm

I believe the Tenyo version is called "Silk Serenade." I haven't seen it lately, though I saw it often in the 70's and 80's... Even with real records or CD's it doesn't make sense. Why are they colored in primary colors? Why are you changing them? I think it's a method in search of a trick... --Asrah

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 27th, 2004, 7:16 pm

As a young lad (back in the 70's) I recall purchasing this effect (silk serenade) from the magic shop at Disneyland.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2004, 8:22 pm

The trick is Pavel's "Silk Serenade," which Tenyo has had on the market since the 1970s. When I was a kid, I recall a fancy version using actual records, rather than cardboard discs, being sold at Tannen's. It's all old news now. Who on earth would do a routine with an LP? It's like cigarette magic: gone in a puff of smoke.
Playing cards and coins are next.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 27th, 2004, 9:26 pm

Cards will stay around if poker does.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 28th, 2004, 12:20 am

The nice thing about Nicolas Night's CD color change is that a REAL reason is given for the change and each CD changes to the same color.

BTW . . . I have the actual 45 records set of this effect, not the cardboard discs. Even so, they do nothing more than take up storage space.

Ray Eden

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » July 28th, 2004, 10:19 am

I saw this effect done once at a mall when I was a teenage girl. It was very cute and surprising. It never dawned on me that the magician should have some type of explanation for what he was doing. It was a magic show.

I think the idea that magicians need to justify their doings by tacking profound meanings to them is misguided. It's perfectly acceptable to stake out a corner of the universe (or mall) and conduct magical occurrences from there.

Ray Eden

Postby Ray Eden » July 28th, 2004, 10:37 pm

I would agree with Lisa that 'profound meaning' does not have to be given to every (or any) magical effect. However, I do believe that an effect has to have context. To do the 'Color Changing Records' now would be to use dated material unless (context now) the magician is performing his magic in the character of, for example, a DJ or a character from the 70s or '80s. Another 'context' situation could be that the entire (or majority) of the act is all color changes of different items.

Since my original set was actual records, I started the routine by removing the playing record from the turntable and going into the routine. I felt this was a much more natural introduction of the prop then simply pulling it from my case. Something as simple as this can help to lend context.

A magician can aimlessly jump from trick to trick in a 'mall situation' where s/he is interrupting the shopping experience of passersby who want to stop and watch the act (and leave once they've had enough), but a paying audience is going to expect a bit more from the performance. Who do we remember more: Madonna or Tiffany?

Ray Eden

Return to “General”