Russian Wedding Rings

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Steve Proescher

Russian Wedding Rings

Postby Steve Proescher » July 29th, 2001, 8:48 pm

As I learn to work with linking rings and rings on rope (or string), I've seen a trick by Ben Harris called Slink. The description leads me to think it could be cool to incorporate into my learning of all things "rings".

Here's the problem.....I don't know what Russian Wedding Rings are. I can't find reference to them, and the more knowledgeable magicians in my clubs haven't heard of them either.

Help a new guy out.....thanks.

Steve Proescher

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Russian Wedding Rings

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 8:53 pm

Hi Steve,
Here is Ben Harris' e-mail address:
benharris@wowbound.com
Perhaps he can answer your question!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 12:45 pm

Russian wedding rings are those rings that are made up of three interlocking rings that fit into each other like a puzzle. When the puzzle is complete, you have a ring you can wear.
Rick

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 7:26 pm

Steve, Russian Weddings Rings are indeed puzzle rings. It is said that Sheiks gave these puzzle rings to their wives to assure fidelity. When removed, the rings would come apart and were difficult to reassemble.

I can't vouch for the value of the Slink routine, as I have yet to see it. But if you purchase it and are looking for a good source for the Russian Wedding rings, (I don't believe one comes with the routine), you can find them at www.bitsandpieces.com. Just do a search in the Quick Search for puzzle ring. They have several pages of rings in a variety of styles and value.

Steve Proescher

Postby Steve Proescher » September 1st, 2001, 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any comments on Slink.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 1st, 2001, 10:59 pm

I have read "Slink"--not tried it out, but read it--and it seems very clever and practical. The visual link as you lower your hands will, I think, blow people away. For $10 how can you go wrong?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard James

Postby Richard James » September 2nd, 2001, 8:06 am

Hi Folks,

I think you are all getting mixed up a bit. Russian Wedding Rings are NOT puzzle rings.

The Puzzle Rings are, I believe, of Turkish origin. The Turkish Puzzle Rings are the ones that come apart as a puzzle and are VERY difficult to put back together. Hence the story regarding the Sheiks as mentioned by Mike Heitkamper below.

Russian Wedding Rings are different in that they are not a puzzle at all. They are simply three Gold bands, each made of different types/colours of Gold that are linked together.

They do not 'fit' together neatly as the Turkish rings do. You just gather the 3 rings/bands together and slip them onto your finger.

If you have a look at the advert on page 38 of this months Genii, you'll see a picture of a Russian Wedding Ring there!

Hope that helps someone?

All The Best,

Richard James

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2001, 10:50 pm

My mistake, I had the other rings in mind. I know which ones you're speaking of now that I've seen the picture in the add.

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » September 29th, 2001, 8:29 am

Hi Everyone,

In regards Slink.
A review recently appeared at the Online-Visions website. They state a source (Wal-Mart) for the rings in the US at $5.95.

We had considered supplying the rings with the booklet, but that would have forced a retail price of about $29.95, at least. (Margins are magnified through the manufacturer/jobber/wholesaler/retailer - customer chain).

This plus a couple of other reasons prompted us to omit the ring, thus keeping the low price point.

An advantage is that you can start with a cheap ring while learning the moves. If you find that you want to add it to your pro material, you can locate a nicer set. If on the other hand, it does not pan out, you have not wasted a lot of money.

The Visions address (for the Slink review) is
www.online-visions.com/reviews/index.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben Harris
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Return to “General”