power moves inc.

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

power moves inc.

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2003, 10:16 am

here is something i would like to ask.
card magician really needs only half a dozen moves to do magic well??? in card college Roberto Giobbi talks i believe of only three!
why is that, and what are your favorite power moves?
i am also little bit sceptical when i hear this from people who fan cards 27 different ways, practice shuffling with their feet etc. to claim that all you really need is a glide and double lift. :eek: :rolleyes:
what is your opinion?

Re: power moves inc.

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2003, 10:29 am

It was Harry Lorayne who said something along the lines of:

"If you can do a good card control, palm a card well, and do one good double lift, you can do card miracles." (The Magic Book??)

It's a start at least.

HT

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2003, 11:07 am

You really don't need that much. A good force, a control, a double lift and a method of palming and you are away.
There are also hundreds of great self working card tricks that are very entertaining and baffling too.
I am not saying you shouldn't learn any more sleight of hand.The more the merrier in fact.
Technical proficiency gives your work authority.

However you can also go the opposite extreme and many magicians do. You can have too much of a good thing. A lot of performers ruin things for themselves by trying to be too clever and doing lots of unnecessary moves.
Less is more.

The real skill in card magic(or any kind of magic, come to that) is not sleight of hand. It is skill in presentation and just as importantly skill in the psychology of handling people.

The average performer could double the reaction he gets if instead of concentrating on learning the latest move he were to concentrate on such things as summing up the character of individual spectators and manipulating the way they react.

I can't explain it here. It takes practice. Just as much as learning some new difficult sleight. However it is far more useful.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 20th, 2003, 11:24 am

Strictly speaking you don't really need any moves at all. I personally do all the following, none of which require any sleights and all of which are extremely powerful:

Maurice Fogel 3-card prediction
Gemini Twins
The Oldest Trick in the Book (David Regal)
Out of this World
The Moving Pencil (Lorayne)
The Big Easy Force (Racherbaumer)

If I had only three moves, they would be:

False Shuffle
Spread cull
Top Palm

The spread cull also gives you the MC Spread Force (Mike Close) which is both a force and a switch.

That should cover you for quite a while. If you have two more, I'd probably choose

Top Change
Double Lift

I thoroughly agree with Horace about the value in working on being a better performer vs. learning another move.

I've seen many, many magicians who are very skilled at sleight of hand but are extremely deficient in basic performing skills. I can't recall if I've ever seen a magician who had great performing skills but was deficient at sleight of hand.

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2003, 11:34 am

i don't know why this came to ma mind right now but i remember watching a movie with my mom when i was maybe ten years old. in the movie this guy was pretending to not know how to ski at all and was doing all kinds of moves that a beginer would do. like pretending to fall funny ways and stuff like that. and i told my mom that this guy has no idea how to ski and she told me that he is a great skier to be able to do all this. well you get my point i think.
isn't it the same with cards for example. i was watching Roberto Giobbi on dvd and he is so easy and natural but he can afford to i think, knowing 100 times more than he is showing to his audience, you know?
what do you think...

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » February 20th, 2003, 11:45 am

Learn a few of the fundamental moves. The psychology being doing them well will really help you.

If you can do a Top Change regularly, as part of a strong routine, that will teach you a lot about the other advanced moves and the psychology you need to do them. When I get stuck on a new section of a routine, I apply what I know about doing a Top Change well. That almost always helps me find a way to make that section work.

Doing the sponge bunnies and being able to steal the babies unseen will teach you almost as much.

Jeff

Return to “General”