The art of Palming

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

The art of Palming

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2007, 9:10 am

I am not really big on card tricks, other than the ACR. I have been working on my one hand top palm for about 3 months now and for some reason, I just can't seem to get the mechanics right so that the card moves smoothly. Are there any exercises that will help or does anyone know a differint method to accomplish this that might help? I don't expect someone to post the method, but if you give me a place to research it I would greatly appreciate it. I have a show on July 28th and Iv'e been working on a effect to perform during it that requires palming a card from the top ,Thanks- Scott

Re: The art of Palming

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2007, 9:17 am

I have been practiceing the method for a one handed top palm out of Card Control by Arthur Buckley. I whenever I do it the card will either pop up with too much force and fly or it will go up but shift so that the card is positioned in the palm but sticks out about a quarter of an inch to the back edge of my hand

What I have found as far as mechanics go is that if you can out jog the card just a little bit that helps.

Postby Guest » June 22nd, 2007, 8:39 pm

Three words:
Marlo
Card Finesse

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2007, 9:39 am

Update - Marlo Card Finesse. thank you. Iv'e carried my cards with me daily and practiced until my fingers hurt. The good news, I got it down and smooth. Now, I can pick up my cards and whola, done. It's strange that it becomes so natural and now I am wondering- "What was so hard about that?" - Thanks again for the response.- Scott

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Romaine has a similar technique that uses pretty much the same mechanics as the standard one handed top palm. It's on one of David Acer's videos (Extreme CloseUp I think... David?).

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Romaine executes his one-handed top palm as he picks up the face-down deck from above with his right hand and taps its right long edge on the table to square it. Its called the Table-Top Table-Tap One-Hand Top Palm Plus, and he both performs it (invisibly) and explains it (definitively) on On Screen & Other Mysteries.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2007, 1:12 pm

thanks again for the feedback. You guys are great
and greatly appreciated.

Return to “General”