manipulating jumbo cards

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

manipulating jumbo cards

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2003, 12:19 am

does anyone know how to manipulate jumbo cards, like peter marvey did on world's greatest magic part 3. thanks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: manipulating jumbo cards

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2003, 8:58 am

The manipulation of Jumbo Cards was pioneered by Marka Tendo of Japan, who's been doing it for many many years. None of the methods are published.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 8th, 2003, 11:19 am

There is a book out (old) on "Jumbo Card Manipulations" -- I "think" it was Dariel Fitzkee.

Anyone else know? Also, didn't U.F. Grand publish a similar tome.

Actually... the way to do it is get those nice, soft, jumbo's from Piatnik and INVENT YOUR OWN WAY. :p
Stay tooned.

Levent

Postby Levent » January 12th, 2003, 11:08 am

The old booklet, Jumbo Card Manipulation by Dariel Fitzkee, consists mostly of adaptations of standard card sleights (like the Pass) to Jumbo Cards. There are also some flourishes. Probably the only thing in it regarding Stage Card Manipulations is the ?Jack Miller?s Back Hand Palm?. Which, even the author admits: ?I cannot see how this sleight is practical, as the card absolutely cannot be covered.?
A booklet that I recommend is Magic By Jan Torell (published in 1975). It had a few very clever ideas with jumbos cards. And was the first time that I saw a jumbo card with black velvet glued on the back. His adaptation of the Black Art principle was terrific in that the card was hidden against his costume as opposed to relying on a black backdrop. This use of his tuxedo as a Black Art curtain made it truly practical.
Having manipulated jumbo cards in the years past, I can say from experience that the hardest part is creating a moves that are practical and can fool people in real world conditions; semi-surrounded and in full light.
The first person I saw doing a good jumbo card routine was the late Richard Ross (1970s). And later the Japanese magician Sanada (Early 1980s).
Pete Biro is correct, you should work on your own moves and Piatnik Brand Jumbo Cards (Made In Austria) are the best for manipulation. Due to there heavy weight, the Jumbo Bicycles are only useful for card scaling, card castle making and other special gimmicked cards.

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2003, 4:25 pm

I seem to recall a book by Zina Bennet regarding large deck manipulation (insert your favorite scatolological joke here).

I think there is a fanning deck he originated called, strangely enough, the Zinab deck. Can anyone verify this?

Pete Mills

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 16th, 2003, 5:12 pm

Just back from WMS and I "saw" a large book on Jumbo Card Manipulations" for sale at Joe Steven's table, but don't recall the author.

Mahka Tendo and Sanada (both in Japan) are awesome with the Jumbo cards.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2003, 9:59 am

The last incredible act with jumbo cards is Japanese Magician Takamitsu Ushida (1st prize winner in FISM ) I dont know if he has a web page. find it out.. Regards Adolfo Dream Makers.

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2003, 10:08 am

Im sorry, its Takamitsu Uchida and it has a web page. Using a searcher like yahoo and find it writing Takamitsu Uchida.Bye
If you want to visit my web its http://www.dreammakersmagia.com

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”