Anyone got any ideas how to accomplish this effect?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Anyone got any ideas how to accomplish this effect?

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2003, 7:16 am

Hi Everyone. I want to somehow grab a beer poster off the wall, maybe roll the poster so that the can of beer printed on the poster shows, rip a hole where the beer would come out of a can, and pour real beer!

Am I just pipe dreaming or does anyone think this effect can be accomplished? Seeking a Brainstorm session... :genii:

Frank Yuen

Re: Anyone got any ideas how to accomplish this effect?

Postby Frank Yuen » April 8th, 2003, 7:53 am

Glass of beer with Saran Wrap cover. Load it like you would a dove. Tear through opening of can on poster and Saran Wrap. Pour out beer.

Actually, if you take the poster off of the wall, it should offer enough cover to steal the glass any old way that you want (from top of pants ala Bob Read, from back pocket, etc.) Maybe manipulate it like the ball in Andrus' Mylar Mystery if you want to prove the poster is "empty."

Frank Yuen

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 8th, 2003, 10:41 am

Bob Read's bottle production would work just fine with a poster. And when you're done you can actually produce the bottle itself, if you like.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2003, 6:14 pm

Sorry Pete, but Bob's Bottle Production (which will be explained in microscopic detail in an upcoming issue of Genii) will NOT work in this context. The mechanics of the bottle production are extremely precise, and only a heavy elongated object can be produced, and it has to be produced from under a cloth which drapes freely.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » April 8th, 2003, 10:13 pm

Fill a water balloon with Beer and puncture a very small hole in the balloon near the tie point. The hole will remain sealed until you apply pressure.

This will allow a fountain of beer and the "container" is easily disposed of with the wadded up paper.

(Jeff McBride/Changing The Face Of Magic)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 8th, 2003, 10:40 pm

Richard,

Maybe I don't really know the Bob Read bottle production. Because the bottle production I know -- which I thought sure was the Bob Read bottle production -- could definitely be done with a poster. Maybe it's not as elegant as with a draping cloth, but it's doable.

It can also be done with a beer bottle. John Lovick does it with a ketchup bottle, and even a highball cocktail glass (wearing a buttoned, double-breasted suit).

Perhaps, to accomodate these two factors, you have to give up some of what constitutes the essence of Bob's technique?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading it in Genii. It's a fantastic creation.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2003, 12:00 am

I'm reminded of Karrel Fox's "Liqui-Hank" (if I recall the name accurately)

It's a production of liquid from a rolled up hanky.

With a huge amount of creative effort and strain, you could replace a rolled up hanky with a rolled up poster.

Bare bones method: A test tube stuck on the end your middle finger. When the fingers are curled, the tube is behind the hand. Load the tube into the roll... and pour.

-Ryan Pilling

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2003, 1:11 pm

Ryan,
Since you won't be doing this "impromptu", Why not gimmick the poster itself? You glue a bladder (simply made with a "plastic bag that will hold liquid" and seal it except for a "spout" - think Foo Can principle to keep it from spilling). Roll it or merely tip it over and have the liquid pour out.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2003, 5:38 pm

Ryan,

I like your idea the most. I think that most of the times, the simplist ideas work the best and I can completely visualize a simple bladder being glued onto the back of the poster.

I'm off to the city now to get all the supplies I need. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 8:33 am

Ok... Phase One complete.... I get credit for Paul's idea.

Now to just figure out the details of getting Paul's paycheques directed to me....

-Ryan Pilling

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » April 10th, 2003, 10:44 am

Hi all,

Richard...just picked up a copy of Bob Read's "Thanks to Pepys..." at the Castle swapmeeet last weekend. What a find! Can't wait until it appears in the mag.

Glen

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”