Bottle or Glass Productions

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Bottle or Glass Productions

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2003, 11:29 pm

What's your favorite method for producing a real bottle (beer, wine, Perrier) or glass of liquid in a parlour or close-up situation?

Steve Proescher

Re: Bottle or Glass Productions

Postby Steve Proescher » March 21st, 2003, 5:35 am

I got to see Michael Ammar the other day on his SAM lecture tour. His bottle production is great. David Stone also has a nice production.

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2003, 7:10 am

You can find a cool bottle production in Barrie Richardsons book "Theater of Mind", page 5, effect is called Ovation Position and is almost selfworking.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 21st, 2003, 8:17 am

Other references:

Bob Read: Thanks to Pepys
John Lovick: One man issue of Labyrinth
Johnny Ace Palmer: ????
Michael Baker: Lecture notes, and his One-Man Parade (not the one in the current Linking Ring, but his first one of a few months ago)
Michael Ammar: Michael Ammar Magic -- 2000 Tour Lecture Notes

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » March 21st, 2003, 8:24 am

One of the best is in Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment.

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2003, 10:42 am

The best I have seen are done by John Lovick, Johnny Ace Palmer and Michael Ammar.

John Lovick is the only person I have seen do it with a buttoned up jacket as opposed to an open jacket. He has a very clean presentation that is done with no flashy mis direction. All moves are very natural (as are for the others as well) but done with a closed jacket. Very magical!!

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 21st, 2003, 10:59 am

Perhaps someone will correct me, but John Lovick's bottle production (actually a production of a tall glass of club soda), and Michael Ammar's are both variations of Bob Read's basic bottle production.

Tom Stone's PDF manuscript "A Toast to Charon" is a complete routine with coin productions and vanishes, which ends with the bottle production.

While reading and discussing (by email) this, I put together the following, which is a pleasantly effective construction.

Start with a bottle in position, then put a champagne glass under your armpit (for the Jardine Ellis production as detailed in Classic Secrets of Magic), then ball up a silk and put it in a fold of material in the crook of your arm.

Enter. Clap your hands and extend your right hand, causing the silk to appear in midair. Show the silk both sides, then producte the glass. Now put the glass down and use the silk to produce the bottle.

If I had a stage act this would definitely be my opener. :-)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2003, 11:05 am

Bob Read's Bottle Production is based on a method by Remo Inzani which appeared in The Gen in the late 1950s.
The Ammar method simply puts the bottle into the opening of a Topit instead of between the pants and body. This doesn't allow you to use your body to control the bottle's load, but it may have benefits I'm not aware of.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 21st, 2003, 5:01 pm

Richard,

The initial benefit via the topit is being able to go into the outside coat pocket to tilt/set the bottle properly and innocuously.

Steve

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 21st, 2003, 5:05 pm

I don't why I would want to have to wear a Topit and have to manually set the bottle into position when Bob Read can do it without a Topit and without using his hand to set the bottle into position: which is how he can do it several times during the lecture and catch everyone completely off guard.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » March 22nd, 2003, 12:26 pm

Another reference:

Thomas Fraps' "Optical Orange Juice" from his 2002 notes, "The Boston Trick Party".

Lynetta

Postby Lynetta » March 22nd, 2003, 9:48 pm

I have a pretty cool bottle production gimmick that I've just put on the market. It's called the Beer Bottle Gizmo and I created it specifically for secretly holding a beer, soda or water (Perrier type) bottle for production. You show a silk, or borrow a napkin and instantly produce a bottle from underneath; then hand the items out for a complete and unrestricted examination. The Gizmo sold out when I debuted it at the World Magic Seminar here in Las Vegas. The Beer Bottle Gizmo is small; that means no bulky bags or cumbersome gimmicks. It pins under your jacket and slips into the neck of the bottle. It's strong enough to hold a bottle with liquid, yet the release is quick and easy. At the World Magic Seminar, I showed it to Lennert Greene and although I had sold out of them, he insisted on buying the one that I was using as a demo. I sell topits, so I would love to sell everyone a topit, but I think that my Gizmo makes for a much cleaner bottle production and sells for over a hundred dollars less. If you're interested, please feel free to email me.
Lynetta Welch
Fabric Manipulation

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2003, 3:26 am

How much is the Beer Bottle Gizmo, Lynetta? Your email doesn't seem to display to my computer....

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 23rd, 2003, 8:54 am

I'll mention Lou Gallo, the "Underground Man."

Matt Field

Lynetta

Postby Lynetta » March 23rd, 2003, 9:29 am

I don't know what's up with my email, I think it's working now, but anyway - the Beer Bottle Gizmo sells for $20.00 and that includes shipping within the U.S.
Lynetta Welch
Fabric Manipulation

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 23rd, 2003, 9:54 pm

Years ago you could buy a stopper that fit into a bottle (opened) that hung on a cord under your coat and a "swing load" enabled you to produce it under a cloth.

For a wine glass... if wearing a black tux, for example, you put a piece of similar cloth onto the bottom of the glass (with contact cement). Then you put liquid into glass with a rubber cover and put it under your armpit with the base, cloth covered, outward.

Show cloth on both sides and steal from under armpit... and the rest is history. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”