Topsy Turvy bottles

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Peter Vanspauwen

Topsy Turvy bottles

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » January 8th, 2006, 1:00 pm

In 1982 I bought a set of Topsy Turvy bottles from Eckhart Bttcher, who owned a magic shop in Mnchen, Germany, I believe. It was a wonderful set, existing of two strong (kind of cardboard) tubes, a beer and a milk bottle, and the well known gimmick. This gimmick was so well made that one could slowly and clearly show the tube with gimmick from near distance without giving away the secret.
I used the set since I purchased it. Now it's time to replace the set. The problem is that I can't find a set that can worthly replace mine. The sets with the metal tubes are not half as good. Variations on the theme - as the topsy turvy crayons - can be fun, but look as toys to me.
Could anyone point me to a good source where I could find another great set?
Thanks
Peter

Re: Topsy Turvy bottles

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Whats wrong with Abbotts topsy turvy bottles ? well made used a set on U>S>O show ww2 they are available now. Stan Kramien

Peter Vanspauwen

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » January 11th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Originally posted by KRAMIEN:
Whats wrong with Abbotts topsy turvy bottles ? well made used a set on U>S>O show ww2 they are available now. Stan Kramien
I'm not sure I've already seen the Abbotts bottles... I've seen sets from other magicians; I've seen sets from dealers at the FISM convention in the Hague. None was as good as the Bttcher set: the gimmick was visible. In my presentation the tube with gimmick has to be shown clearly empty to the audience. With the set I have this is possible from a short distance. I really don't know if the Abbott set can be used the same way. I try to "google" a good source.
Peter

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » February 24th, 2006, 7:50 pm

I believe your best solution is to make your own set. The gimmick is best made from a sheet of plastic, so it can fit the tube snugly, but not stick. The snug fit makes it invisible. By using clear plastic, you can simulate a transparent bottle, if you wish, and if you have the patience to get the colors right to match the bottles in use.

This plastic gimmick allows you to use metal tubes, cardboard tubes, or even large PVC pipes as tubes. The diameter of the tubes is determined by the diameter of the bottles used.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » April 8th, 2006, 12:54 pm

I don't think Abbott manufactures their version of the Topsy Turvy Bottles anynore. I have a set and they are far superior to the standard Grant or Mak Magic set. The bottles are self-contained. There are no shells and each time you do the effect the audience can see the entire bottle emerge, not just part of it sticking out of the end of the tube. I don't think anyone makes these anymore so you'll have to try Ebay or used magic dealers.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Originally posted by Peter Vanspauwen:
Originally posted by KRAMIEN:
QUOTE] In my presentation the tube with gimmick has to be shown clearly empty to the audience. With the set I have this is possible from a short distance. I really don't know if the Abbott set can be used the same way. I try to "google" a good source.
Peter
Can't you show the tube empty then somehow get the gimmick into it? It made mean you have to add another move or two to your act, but it couldn't be that hard.

Gord

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2006, 1:55 pm

The Abbott set is with two bottles, one - the gimmick - all in a single bottle that has a sliding section... so the tubes can be shown empty as there is nothing in them. Exept for the labels and maybe the color, they are great.
Stay tooned.

Peter Vanspauwen

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » April 14th, 2006, 5:01 am

Mmm...I overlooked my own thread for a while. :sleep:
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Thanks to your description, Pete, I remember how Abbott's trick bottles are constructed. Quite a different concept than the current sets.
Just as you said, Larry, they don't seem to be available anymore. Ebay wasn't a help yet, but I'm hoping to find a set one day.
Gord, I'm working alone, yet I like the idea of letting someone else put the shell into the tube.
I took Spellbinder's advice and constructed a new set. The tubes are made of thin but very strong carboard and as in the orginal set I have a beer and a milk bottle. During the routine the magician's and the spectator's bottle are switched. At almost the end the spectator succeeds and the magician is proven to be wrong. The routine finishes with a surprise production for the spectator from one of the tubes.
The routine is my take on German magician Jochen Schmeck's routine and is one of the highlights of my show. I'd hate to change the routine as it is...
Regards
Peter

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”