Bill to Lemon Method?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Bill to Lemon Method?

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2003, 8:34 pm

I'm putting together a Bill to Lemon trick for an upcoming performance. So far I'm basing it on the old George Kaplan version from "Fine Art of Magic". But there are a few moments that I'm not happy with yet.

Any favorite methods or presentational ideas you'd care to share about....?

1) The Bill Switch.
2) The Vanish/Destruction of the Bill.
3) Identification of the Bill. (Torn Corner or Serial Number or ???)
4) Introducing the Lemon. (When? And Why?)

Thanks!

Steve

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Bill to Lemon Method?

Postby NCMarsh » May 20th, 2003, 10:01 pm

I'm a big fan of avoiding contrived procedures...if I wanted to prove that a bill i had vanished had appeared in a lemon and I wasn't constrained by method, then I would have the bill signed...I think that THE way to do the bill in lemon (or anywhere) is with a signed bill...the benefit here is that, if you really want a corner torn or a serial number noted, you can have those things done as well -- because its the same gosh darn bill...

you have three basic options here:

--switch a dummy bill in the lemon for a signed bill
--shove the signed bill into the lemon
--have a lemon out in the audience, shove the bill in a dup. lemon, and switch lemon's

the best option is the third (think Tamariz)...the worst is the first, the bill is the very center of attention when the lemon is sliced open...all eyes are on it....the bill also comes out inexplicably dry with the switch method..go with what's worked for Malini, Eason, and Malone...shove the bill in the lemon...

Malone has a great approach to introducing the lemon on his DVDs...they're a very worthy investment just to watch him work so I'd recommend checking that source out first...the Vernon/Ganson book on Malini sketches this basic method...

for a vanish: i think sleeving is optimal...both hands are absolutely empty but you can quickly access the bill for the load...the ryan bill tear is also a pretty thing

remember: shove the bill in the lemon! It's really is the best method...

best,
nate.

P.S. I've heard Denny Haney recommending the Yigal Mesika bill to lemon...i haven't seen or worked with it myself but I trust his judgement implicitly...

BrendanK

Postby BrendanK » May 21st, 2003, 5:44 pm

Rudy Hunter's "VITAMIN C"

Small booklet. Instructions for a "Stand-up, gaffless , signed bill in lemon"

Vanish / destroy signed bill a la bank night then produce it from the lemon.
Lemon may be singular and been on platform with you - or been introduced before business with the banknote or a bowl or bag of lemons may be offered to spectator to choose ONE.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 21st, 2003, 10:10 pm

I recall seeing Galli Galli on the "Toast of the Town" (Ed Sullivan TV show) do bill in lemon.

He showed a No. 10 envelope empty and as he handled it pushed his finger thru it to make a hole in it.

Borrowed a bill, rolled it up and put into envelope (just shoved thru the hole into palm).

Burned envelope.

Reached into coat, pulled out a lemon, cut in half and found the signed bill.

Just a hole in the lemon.

Why make it complicated? :eek: :D :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2003, 7:48 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Just a hole in the lemon.

Why make it complicated?
I understand your point of view, but consider the testimony of a layman who's seen it all:

I produce cabaret-magic nights in California in both Brentwood (every Wednesday) and San Dimas (every Thursday), and we see a lot of Bill in Lemons.

Every time the owner of the San Dimas coffeehouse sees another signed-bill version, he turns to me and says:

"Yeah, but your version is best, because you never touch the lemon!"

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2003, 8:24 am

IMHO,
Bill-sational from Ted Lesley's Wonder workshop not only allows you to do the bill in lemon (using a torn ortion from the bill) BUT allows you to offer to the audience to repeat it again and you then vanish the partially torn bill and do it again only to have that piece match perfectly to the restored bill proving it is in fact the same one. Well worth a look as between both Lesley and Gaeton Bloom both involved with the trick, it can't be bad! You can find it at: http://www.wonderworkshop.de/maineng/menueng.htm

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindGuy.com/Store
Unique Magic and Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2003, 10:26 am

Dave,

So you don't do a signed bill?

I'm just curious of the method you employ, but I'm sure you perform it well! :D

Best-
Jeff

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2003, 11:08 am

Originally posted by Jeffery S:
Dave,

So you don't do a signed bill?

I'm just curious of the method you employ...
Torn corner method.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2003, 11:58 pm

David or anyone

where can I find a version of the serial number routine for bill in lemon (preferably in a book vs. a self-contained pamphlet/booklet)
thanks in advance!

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2003, 9:17 am

You can find a complete very detailed bill in lemon routine using the serial number in the book "A Texan Trixter" by John Moehring

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » August 17th, 2003, 3:16 pm

I am not at home right now, but I am almost positive that there is a version of the serial # method in the Mark Willson course of magic. (What a great book).
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » September 2nd, 2003, 10:57 am

Check out Bob Wagner's "Master Notebook of Magic"

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » September 2nd, 2003, 12:08 pm

I'm certainly not a lemon-headed expert, but I think Barrie Richardson's version in Theater of the Mind is well worth a gander.

It starts out as a Bank Night effect in which a borrowed bill (which is first signed and has its serial number read) goes into one of three envelopes. One by one, the envelopes are burned per the audience's instructions, until one is left -- but when it's opened, it's the wrong envelope; nothing's inside but a bill-sized piece of newsprint.

To save the situation, the magician has an audience member bring up the emergency kit that's been in the audience since the show began: a paper bag that is found to contain a lemon, a knife, and some toilet paper (to mop up the subsequent mess). The magician gives the participant the stage, and instructs him from offstage how to cut the lemon and pull it apart. The bill is found inside the lemon and is identified by the serial number, by the corner matching the hole, and finally by the signature.

It's an entertaining presentation with some very clever subtleties to throw off the wise ones -- and it's in a book full of great material, so how can you lose?
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2003, 4:33 pm

As always, the first thing to check is your Tarbells! You can answer most questions by starting your search there - whatever you are looking for. If you don't have a set, shame on you - go and get one immediately. They really are the basic textbooks of our art! Just my two centavos... --Asrah

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2003, 5:04 pm

The torn corner and serial number methods are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Using a torn corner approximately 1/8 the size of the bill leaves a few of the ending digits of the serial number for comparison if you want to add it for extra effect.

This trick gets a strong reaction and I have never been challenged on the bill.

I normally produce the lemon as a climax to a chop cup routine then leave it on my table and do the bill in lemon two tricks later.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » October 14th, 2003, 2:26 pm

I love using The Lemon Game by Doug Malloy for a stand-up show.

10 minute act all in one briefcase.

You can put this routine into production very quickly.

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2003, 5:37 pm

We have a pretty cool bill to impossible location that we came up with and have been using for more than 10 years now... in fact my son was only 8 when we devised this method and we have been using it to great success every since. It is called "Anywhere Bill" and at this time the only place to get it is from us... you can find out more about it on our web site by clicking here

Thanks

Ken :help:

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2003, 4:34 pm

You may want to check out my "The Teleportation Device" routine available from School for Scoundrels and Hocus-Pocus.

A quarter of the borrowed dollar containing one of the serial numbers is torn off and kept by the spectator. The bill goes first into a lemon, and then the bill is signed by another spectator and is teleported into a raw egg. 10 minute routine with lots of strong magic and comedy.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2003, 4:49 am

I've been using Doug Malloy's "The Lemon Game" in my shows for about 1 1/2 years and can vouch for its ' effectiveness. As a matter of fact I used it in a show last night.

By employing a gameshow type format the audience has something to identify with and so becomes a bit more involved in the effect than in other versions I've tried.

At the risk of sounding like a front man for Mr. Malloy (I'm not)I'd also like to mention the practicality of this routine.

All of the props for this effect other than the borrowed bill, come from and go back into a standard briefcase. That might not seem like a big deal. But it definitely makes the routine modular and less of a hassle for my assistant who has to lug stuff on & off stage.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2004, 12:56 pm

In my opinion, the simplest, most effective and comedic way is the Mark Wilson way. Go with no other.

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2004, 12:17 am

We have some very cool news regarding our "Anywhere Bill"; earlier this month we were contacted by Murphy's Magic Company, and asked to give them the exclusive rights to distribute our "Anywhere Bill" and "Ken-Fusion" to dealers, based on their reputation of supplying top quality magic to dealers all over the world, we jumped at the chance. So now, thanks to Murphys you can now get either of these effects from many of your favorite dealers.

Dealers that dont have them should check out Murphys site at the following URLs to get them
Click here to see "Anywhere Bill"
Click here to see Ken-Fusion

Those that have obtained these effects from us in the past have been using them with great success. Several of our favorite area performers ( here in Baltimore ) have told us that in all of their years of performing ( these guys are in their 70s ) they have never seen anything like the Anywhere Bill ; they say it makes the bill to impossible location effect, seem much cleaner and more direct. Since it's release, we have received many compliments for the psychology behind the effect, and for setting everything up to run smoothly and leave a lasting impression on your spectator or audience.

This effect and method will be one you will enjoy knowing learning and using. Now thanks to Murphys it will be even easier for you purchase, they have set things up to help us reduce the price from $15.00 to and average of just $10.00 from most dealers.

Also, if you buy one you can feel free to contact me direct with any questions or suggestions you may have about any of our effects

BTW We have several new effects that we will be presenting to Murphys shortly these effects were recently created, but have so far been receiving rave reviews from everyone that gets to see them. We will try to keep everyone posted

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » February 20th, 2004, 9:16 am

Originally posted by Gavriel:
David or anyone

where can I find a version of the serial number routine for bill in lemon (preferably in a book vs. a self-contained pamphlet/booklet)
thanks in advance!
It's in "Scarne's Magic Tricks". Also the same trick is published in one of Scott Guinn's publications, "Great Scott It's More Magic".
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2004, 9:45 am

I like "Anywhere Bill"...that is a sure seller! I would also be interested as well, in the routine Chance Wolf does with this very same principle...it ends up in a block of ICE! Killer!

If I could afford Whit Haydn's Teleporter, that's the one I'd shoot for...I like the egg idea, but for $10 bucks, Ken's got my attention! This would make a perfect bill-to-lemon IMO, if just for the simplicity!

Doug

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2004, 1:27 am

Thanks Doug,

Since Murphy's released these effects we have been recieving a ton of positive feedback. If anyone has purchased either of the effects and has a question I can be reached at this email address (that's kdriscoll28@comcast.net ) or I can be contacted at the Funhouse Magic Shop 410-633-6420 I'm usually there from 11am till 7PM Tue thru Sat. The effects can purchased through a number of online dealers Hocus Pocus and about six or seven others a google search will help you find them, or go to Murphy's magic and ask them who's carrying it

Thanks Again

Ken

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 2nd, 2004, 8:56 pm

I have marketed an effect by John T. Sheets called GI Bill .. a toy paratrooper is tossed into the audience ... the parachute opens and he floats down ... whoever catches it comes up to assist, and lends a bill which they sign .. the signed bill is vanished/destroyed ... after some byplay ... you point out that the paratrooper is wearing a backpack ... the backpack is opened and a bill is seen inside ... it's the signed bill ...

I like this a lot because with Bill in Lemon, the audience sees the ending coming before they should ... they never do in GI Bill ... I also like the fact that the prop used to select a random assistant is also used to reveal the signed bill ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 3rd, 2004, 9:30 am

Sounds like a great prop to use with the Intercessor... :whack:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 3rd, 2004, 9:31 am

OK Archer, how much and do you take PayPal?
Stay tooned.

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » March 3rd, 2004, 11:22 am

Larry Jennings published a card to lemon effect in the small bookliet Neoclassics. In the opening paragraph it is noted that the surprise element is essentially destroyed in most presentations of "object to fruit" as the fruit is presented before the effect begins. Obviously the structure of the entire routine can help eliminate this flaw but generally the audience knows whats going to happen.

Larry's take on the effect is startling and could likely be adapted to include a signature.

johnbodine

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 3rd, 2004, 7:49 pm

To Pete and Tom (who called) and whoever else is interested ... GI Bill sells for $15 and I'll pay the postage ... I do take PayPal but GI Bill is not listed on my site (dannyarcher.com) because my wife has to hand sew the backpacks on the paratroopers ... she is now the seamtress for a ballet company which keeps her pretty busy ... I do have a few already made up ... my post was not made with the intention of selling the trick (although if I refused the dealers union would boot me out), but to show that there is another way to skin the Bill in Impossible location cat ... John T. Sheets is the creator of GI Bill along with the very cool Quantum Bender (I think that's exclusive with Hocus Pocus) and GI Bill is a very cool idea ... nuff said!

PS If you order by PayPal .. buy another $15 item and e-mail and tell me to send GI Bill instead of whatever :)
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 3rd, 2004, 7:52 pm

Someone should also mention John Carney's clever routine called Fruit Cup from Carneycopia I believe ...

Hey, somebody just did!
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 3rd, 2004, 7:55 pm

YO Danny M'Boy... just sent you fifteen buckaroos via paypal for the GI Bill, not three five buck tricks I chose on your site... hehehe
Stay tooned.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » March 4th, 2004, 2:47 am

Originally posted by Danny Archer:
Someone should also mention John Carney's clever routine called Fruit Cup from Carneycopia I believe ...

Hey, somebody just did!
Aw shoot! I was holding back from mentioning that one!

I use it right now and it's the strongest thing I do in close-up situations.

Brilliantly combines two classics of magic: cups & balls and bill-to-lemon. A fine piece of work that consistently baffles.

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2004, 11:18 am

|
Larry Jennings published a card to lemon effect in the small bookliet Neoclassics. In the opening paragraph it is noted that the surprise element is essentially destroyed in most presentations of "object to fruit" as the fruit is presented before the effect begins. Obviously the structure of the entire routine can help eliminate this flaw but generally the audience knows whats going to happen.

Larry's take on the effect is startling and could likely be adapted to include a signature.
You're very correct, Jennings did create a very surprising and startling effect. Also very confusing. He used a Orange but the audience saw a lemon........... :whack:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 4th, 2004, 1:57 pm

The Jennings routine, "High-C," changes a deck of cards into an ORANGE when it's tossed in the air. Very difficult to do, particularly if you don't have a hand as large as Larry's.
We will have a very good "Card in Lemon" in the Derek Dingle memorial issue of Genii in May.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2004, 8:10 am

Introducing a Lemon:

In "Sawa's Library of Magic" (Vol.1) There's an effect called "The Lemon Trick" where 3 lemons are produced right under a spectators nose.

You could have all 3 set for the effect, or use a magi-choice.

Sidenote: as playing cards are used in the effect, this would probably be more appropriate for a cardin lemon routine.

Tom Ladshaw

Postby Tom Ladshaw » March 5th, 2004, 11:08 am

Not to get too far off-topic here (we could always start another thread)...but I had to jump in with an unsolicited testimonial for "GI Bill." This is one of those "little" things that you look at it and say, "Yeah, that's clever...", or worse (the kiss of death), "Yeah...that's *cute*...." and then you never actually try it in front of an audience. BIG mistake. This thing PLAYS.... I'm not saying it's a closer...but it's darned close. The audience reaction is all of out proportion to the method and simplistic handling.

It's an inexpensive prop made from a truly inexpensive toy....but don't let it fool you (so to speak). I'm using the same one I bought nearly four years ago...at this point, it's been in actual performance approximately 220-235 times. It still looks new. Exercise minimal care with it and it'll last. With the right personality presenting it, this routine is good for 7-10 solid minutes in a standup/platform/cabaret show.

Tom Ladshaw
New Orleans, LA

P.S. - Ok, Bill in Lemon....I like the Billy McComb routine in "The Professional Touch."

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 5th, 2004, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words Tom ...

GI Bill is easy to overlook but with the right presentation, it's a killer!
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2004, 11:50 pm

Must be a signed bill, otherwise why do it? Make it look impossible! And remember to think it through, every magician does this, so do it better!

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2004, 10:20 pm

Danny,

It is good to see you chime in, and as far as the GI Bill; you may rememebr you and I had talked about this and well it would go with the "Anywhere Bill" in fact when we are requested to give further suggestions we always recommend that the user contact you to get one of your GI Bills.

Take Care

Ken

Pepka

Postby Pepka » March 7th, 2004, 6:51 pm

I use Yigal Mesika's bill to lemon method for parlor or standup shows to great reaction. I've always wanted to learn the switch for Carl Cloutier's bill to kiwi. It is a thing of beauty that takes serious timing and for lack of a better term; BALLS. But it is a thing of beauty, at least in Carl's hands.
Pepka

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”