Rubik's Cube Effects?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Brad A._dup1

Rubik's Cube Effects?

Postby Brad A._dup1 » April 19th, 2002, 8:22 pm

"Good evening."

Would any one out there in Internet-land be aware of any interesting effects that involve the infamous Emo Rubik's Cube?

I know of the effect Daryl is marketing... as well as an effect which involved a shell for the cube (almost like a ball and vase).

-brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Adam Brooks

Re: Rubik's Cube Effects?

Postby Adam Brooks » April 20th, 2002, 6:28 am

Barry Govan has an effect in his notes wherein, if I remember correctly, a chosen color vanishes from a solved cube.

-Adam

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2002, 5:26 pm

There is a great self fixing rubik's cub you can make. They only problem is you need two cubes to get all the stickers you need and they often fall off if you don't glue them down.

You show the cube undone on all sides. Twist it round and the throw it up and it fixes it self in mid air. It looks great on stage or with a mini cube close up

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » April 20th, 2002, 6:44 pm

Doug Henning did the trick in one of his specials. He threw the cube up in the air and it solved itself. I'm sure you remember. And a couple years ago, someone (I couldn't find the instructions) released a version with a small cube that solved itself after putting it in your mouth. I think he marketed a larger version, too. I was under the impresion that these marketed effects used the same principle that the Henning trick used. You show the cube mixed up on all sides and after a few twists only one side remains mixed. You can show the cube solved by rotating it between your fingers without exposing the mixed up side. I don't think I'm really giving anything away here. I love the trick and have performed it close-up on many occasions.
Robert M

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2002, 8:56 pm

The in the mouth version is put out by the Misfit of Magic himself Ed Alonzo- www.edalonzo.com (Magic, Magic, Magic!) It's called Oral Fix-sational. Go to his site and click on SHOP.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 21st, 2002, 2:11 am

The idea of doing tricks with a Rubik's cube seems really dated to me...unless your act is a retro 80's piece.

Hmm...dancing to "Like A Virgin" and solving a Rubik's cube by touching it with your one magic glove.

I dunno.

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » April 21st, 2002, 8:52 am

Ed Alonzo's been doing the Oral-Fix-Sation for a few years... and then there's Daryl's reincorporation of that old 80s effect.

People still know what it is. In fact just a few years ago the Rubik's cube became popular with some of the kids who never had a cube.

I do see how it is a bit dated... I think it works though.
Former Vonnegut Character

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 21st, 2002, 8:59 am

Originally posted by bradmagic:
[QB Emo Rubik's Cube?[/QB]
Erno Rubik. Emo Phillips.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Jeff Haas:
The idea of doing tricks with a Rubik's cube seems really dated to me...unless your act is a retro 80's piece.

Hmm...dancing to "Like A Virgin" and solving a Rubik's cube by touching it with your one magic glove.

I dunno.
Actually Jeff, for those that do "after show sales", it would be a natural to sell Rubic's Cubes and let them try to figure it out or learn to do it as quickly (without magic of course). In fact, there is a huge resurgence of 80's interest. You can even find key chains with miniature games such as "Life", "Monopoly", "Don't Break the Ice" and "Rubic's Cubes" for sale everywhere. A key chain like that would sell well after a show with the trick in it too.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

http://www.mindguy.com

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 21st, 2002, 7:38 pm

Paul, with all respect, there's been a huge resurgence of 70's interest for several years (clothing styles, "That 70's Show", etc.) but no magicians seem to have jumped into the bell-bottomed disco era.

I admit that I haven't caught your act recently, though.

You could argue that the Rubik's Cube has moved from 80's fad into "classic" status like Monopoly (from the 1930's -- the Great Depression, hence the focus on money) and the other games you mentioned.

But the Cube still seems really dated to me. And theatrically, using your magical powers to solve a puzzle seems low on the scale. Why not magically fill in the answers to a crossword puzzle while you're at it?

Jeff

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 8:45 pm

But the Cube still seems really dated to me
The cube is slightly less dated then top hats and rabbits, girls in sparkly bikinis and those terrible haircuts magicians seem to go for. (Mullets?)

And theatrically, using your magical powers to solve a puzzle seems low on the scale. Why not magically fill in the answers to a crossword puzzle while you're at it?
Finding a specator's card or Producing a handful of change is pretty low on the scale too.

But then again, it is not what you acheive but your audiences response to it. Anyone who has spent more then five minutes trying to solve one of those blasted things would be gobsmacked to see someone do it in a second.

I know, I use the trick all the time.

but no magicians seem to have jumped into the bell-bottomed disco era.

I admit that I haven't caught your act recently, though.
I have a 70's magician character (on articulated stilts no less)

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2002, 8:32 am

Wanted to add a little of my (limited) knowledge here. Michael Weber did a magical solving of the Rubiks cube on HBO's Magical Moments, hosted by Dick Cavett, in the 80's. It was very timely as everyone knew about the cube then.

I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say that the cube is quite dated. People still use money and (less and less) playing cards, but the cube was a fad.

I was quite inspired by Tom Stone's suggestions for Rocky Raccoon, (see elsewhere on the Forum), and would humbly suggest following the exercise he wrote there. What is the effect you want to create? If you want to be up to date, is there an equivalent puzzle that is popular now that could be substituted for the cube to deliver that same effect? Use the rest of Tom's exercise to develop a unique and creative routine that will be yours alone.

I really think Tom contributed something major to the creation of personalized routines with the Rocky post. If you haven't checked it out, you are really missing something.

Mark

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 22nd, 2002, 9:15 am

Just a few quick questions for those who think the Rubik's Cube is out of date:

Do you use half dollars?
... English Pennies?
... the Dancing Cane?
... an Okito Box?
... and other props I can't think of right now ...

Each of these props were, at one time, common, everyday items. Today, they are somewhat foreign and dated. If you do use them, how do you justify them, or make them seem not-so-dated?

Just curious...

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2002, 11:27 am

I hope pretty girls in sparkly bikinis NEVER go out of fashion :eek:

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » April 26th, 2002, 10:39 am

Brad,

With a nod to all of those who are sensitive to the passing of the fad, I have used the "maic unscrambling" cube effect with some success. A little joke that lets the audience know that you know is sufficient. (i.e. "Remember these things from the 1980's? I think I've just about solved it...")

I use it as an aside: I have a card chosen, turning my back so that it can be signed and shown to the audience. That done, I turn around and it looks like I was fiddling with the cube, just to kill time. I toss the cube, show it "restored" (resolved?) and continue on.

Sad to say, this quick little bit can steal the show. Maybe I need a better card trick?

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2002, 3:20 pm

I love that "been trying to solve it since the 80s joke." Very nice

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 28th, 2002, 11:36 pm

Curtis,

You showed (once again) that what really counts is the hook. Great bit!

Jeff

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”