Card Swords

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
RickBelford

Card Swords

Postby RickBelford » October 8th, 2001, 3:29 pm

I am interested in obtaining a card sword,and possibly starting a collection of card swords. Is there a good reference source that might describe the different types of swords and their methods of operation? Also, does anyone have any interesting stories about the history of card swords?

Bill Duncan

Re: Card Swords

Postby Bill Duncan » October 8th, 2001, 5:57 pm

I don't know how far you want to go from the traditional but John Kennedy has a card stab using a Swiss Army knife that's typically brilliant and just plain fun to think about...

It's the classic Card Sword effect using an object the audience won't for a second suspect as being tricky and it packs about as small as you can imagine. Plus it's examinable!

Click HERE to visit Kennedy's website

Click HERE to see it performed

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bill Duncan ]

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 8th, 2001, 6:29 pm

Scotty York's routine for the card stab with a pocket knife is an improvement on the Kennedy (IMHO). The only difficulty is you have to fashion one knife from two to properly construct the prop - but it's well worth your time and money. You can find it in his lecture notes, "Professional Tricky Bartender Stuff"; not sure about in "FYEO." Denny Haney may have copies in stock.

Cheers,
McF

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 8th, 2001, 6:43 pm

Originally posted by Bill McFadden:
Scotty York's routine for the card stab with a pocket knife is an improvement on the Kennedy (IMHO). The only difficulty is you have to fashion one knife from two... [snip]

I'm not familier with the York method but if you have to make a gaffed knife I'm not sure how it could improve over the ungaffed knife in the Kennedy routine. Must be a really good trick!

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2001, 8:25 pm

Bill,
The knife isn't gaffed, it's just got a blade on both ends.
As far as card swords go, try Daytona Magic's website. I just saw a couple in there the other night.
Rick

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » October 8th, 2001, 9:57 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Sonny Fontana Card Sword/Umbrella that is being marketed by Kevin James?

Looks interesting.

Regards,

Paul Green

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 9th, 2001, 10:49 am

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post. The reason you use two knives to make one, is to ensure that the blade is identical on both sides. Imagine the knife with both blades open: it would be in a "Z" or "S" shape. The knife itself isn't really gaffed. If Daytona sells something like that, then they're the only dealer I know of who does.

The Kennedy knife has one blade, and the other side is a "blade looking" file/screwdriver appendage the mage has to pass off as a blade when the card is stabbed. Scotty York's devising allows for greater spectator scruitiny in a close-up performance.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”