Remote Control Milk Lamp

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Carl Mercurio

Remote Control Milk Lamp

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 9th, 2003, 1:31 pm

Who makes the best version of the classic trick in which you pour milk into a cone (or whatever) and it vanishes. As you're pouring, the lightbulb in a lamp on the stage gets dim and finally goes out. You remove the bulb, unscrew the bottom of the bulb and pour milk out of it.

Pete Biro

Re: Remote Control Milk Lamp

Postby Pete Biro » May 9th, 2003, 4:23 pm

I don't know...

HOWEVER...

Without exception one FAILING of all performers I have ever seen do this... is...

They just grab the bulb and unscrew it.

Hey... it is HOT... you need to do a bit of acting... touch it... 'OUCH' shake fingers... etc.

Practice unscrewing a real hot bulb to get the action needed.

Good luck.
Stay tooned.

Murray Hatfield

Postby Murray Hatfield » May 9th, 2003, 5:08 pm

Pete,

Bravo! Having used the effect in many performances this never even occurred to me. Thank-you.

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2003, 9:59 pm

Hey, if the bulb is hot, you should throw a Hershey's Kiss in the cone before pouring in the milk. Then pour hot chocolate out of the bulb.

0pus

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 10th, 2003, 9:50 am

Now you are thinking.
Stay tooned.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 12th, 2003, 7:06 am

So Murray, who's makes the version you use?

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2003, 3:17 pm

A lightbulb that has just had a glass of milk teleported into it, would no longer be hot. It's got something to do with physics.

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2003, 8:26 pm

A hot lightbulb that just had cold milk teleported into it would shatter and make a big mess... just my two cents on something called physics... --Asrah

Murray Hatfield

Postby Murray Hatfield » May 12th, 2003, 9:01 pm

Hi Carl,

Sorry but I've totally forgotten the name of the builder. It was a new company that put it out about two years ago as a remote control Milk in Lightbulb that packed down into a small package.

It was a good unit but with the one thing I dislike about almost every M.I.L. The bulb had the hole down so it had to be corked. Thus when you unscrewed the bulb; A - it usually leaked and B - you had to uncork it to pour out the milk which made no sense (like milk in a lightbulb makes sense?!).

I ripped it apart when it came and rebuilt it so that the bulb hung down (hole up). Thus you could cleanly unscrew it and pour. I also ended up ditching the remote for an extension cord with an on/off switch. I had the extra person and it removed any potential for problems with the remote.

Murray Hatfield

Postby Murray Hatfield » May 12th, 2003, 9:09 pm

Hi again Carl,

Just after sending the last note I looked elsewhere in the forum and noticed the thread about Billy Diamond and Extreme Reality Illusions. Billy was the builder of the prop and I checked his site and he's still selling them.

Sorry Billy for forgetting your name...

Murray

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 13th, 2003, 6:32 am

Thanks...

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2003, 3:25 am

Hi Guys!

Coincedently I offer a LIFETIME Gaurantee on my Remote Milk Lamp as well. Still my #1 Seller. Usually I can't keep em in stock!

Truly,

Billy Diamond
Extreme Reality Illusions/XR Illusions Group

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 19th, 2003, 6:35 am

So Billy, a couple of quick questions....

1. How far in advance of doing the trick can you turn on the light. For example, can you turn on the light at the start of your show and then do the trick 20 minutes or a half-hour later?

2. Does the light just go out, or can you make its slowly fade out?

3. How hard is it to do what Murray said, i.e., make the bulb hang down rather than up.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2003, 11:31 am

Years ago I used to use the "Max Londono version of the Milk in Lightbulb sold through Tannen's. The bulb hung downward which was a plus as I hated the "cork" and thought it didn't make sense, the base was particularly thin which I liked (unlike that humongous copper based monstrosity out there on the market) and I used it as a table lamp in my guest room for many years, as such it could remain on indefinately. The biggest challenge was to make extra hollow bulbs as I always like to travel with several back-ups (theyare lightbulbs, fragile and can/will break) especially when you are doing clear glass ones - so wear gloves when doing it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2003, 8:48 am

You could easily make hollowed out light bulbs using a pair of needle nose pliars and a screwdriver. Also, there is no need to use clear light bulbs. After hollowing a light bulb rinse with a little water and the white powder inside will wash right out.

Ronald R. Romiski

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2003, 9:18 am

Dear Carl,

I woudl not recommend buying the Milk in Lightbulb effect from Billy Diamond. He may have been serious in the past but I (and some other people) have been waiting for over six months to get my prop (on top of getting some seriously insulting mails !) and I still have not received it.

Just thought I'd let you know before you make a sensible buying decision.

Warmest regards,

D

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » June 7th, 2003, 10:28 pm

So I just purchased Tilford's remote milk in lamp, and let me say that it is a very well-made prop. I highly recommend it. There is only one piece of false advertising in Tilford's ad. He states that the lamp is "So beautiful your wife may want to put it in her living room!" Only a guy could say something like this. In a million years my wife wouldn't want this thing in her living room. But for my act, it's perfert. Tilford delivered in less than a week of the order. All around, a good job!

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”