snowstorm presentation

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

snowstorm presentation

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2003, 1:55 pm

Hi I want to see what you guys think about this presentation for classic snowstorm presentation. It is based on a true story. I grew up in iran during th 1980s when iran was at war with iraq. It was a rough childhood. I lived in the middle of the turmoil. I remember seeing the impact of war first hand. The only time that the war seemed during to stop or the violence died down was during the winter when it snowed. So everynight i would pray for it to snow so the war could stop. And then when am saying this i do the classic snowstorm effect and make snow appear like magic. What do you guys think about this? You think it will have a emotional impact on the audience?

thanks
Amir

Re: snowstorm presentation

Postby Guest » January 17th, 2003, 1:59 pm

Sounds great because it is a true story.

However, it could come across as corny if you don't perform it right. If you are sincere in your telling there won't be a dry eye in the house.

Try and do it for Bush Jr.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 17th, 2003, 6:26 pm

My only problem with the Snowstorm trick is it leaves a MESS.

Think about it. :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2003, 11:56 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
My only problem with the Snowstorm trick is it leaves a MESS.

Think about it. :confused:
So you cheat and use the foam instead... ;)

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2003, 11:26 am

Amir,

Even though it makes a mess, it is a great effect! Keeping inline with your story(which is great in many ways)...you may consider having background music that is emotionally charged so that different points of your story are highlighted by the music. Then, finishing with the actual snowstorm for the crying eyes.

www.JeffEzellMagic.com

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2003, 3:20 pm

Fantastic story, I love it.An emotional story, the right music, a well rehersed snowstorm routine, this could become the envy of your peers!

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2003, 8:37 pm

Amir,
That is a fantastic presentation! If you could use an Irani instrumental music. Perhaps a slow, soft guitar (I'm thinking Struntz & Farah). Yeow, I'd ball my eyes out!
Great thinking!

Ben S :cool:

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 12:55 am

I think it would be very dependent on the news of the day and the socioeconomic makeup of the audience. If they're all Iranians then I think you have a great idea. The average westerner probably doesn't give a hoot about the crimes Iraq did to Iran during that time period. All they remember is the price volatility of fuel and the hostages situation. It could go great but here in the midwest, it would be a real bomb.

I'd try it first with high school or college students. To them it's ancient history. but middle aged right wingers probably wouldn't care or they might even leave the room. so I'd say screw them and work on a good presentation, but be prepared for the occassional hillbilly mentality.

Personally I'd play it safe and never, ever mix politics and entertainment unless you're really good at it (for example Mark Russell). Very few can pull it off.

Personally I leave my politics rolled up under my pillow every morning and start a new day. Politics and religion are touchy subjects and you are sure to offend someone if you bring these subjects up, especially now. It's up to you whether or not you care. or if it's a paying gig, what the promoter thinks.

That's my two cents, and I could be totally off base here.

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2003, 4:10 am

Amir

go and try it out. After a few gigs you'll know if it works.

Good luck with it....It's a very heartfelt and artistic idea

DeanX

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 1st, 2003, 10:57 am

Originally posted by amir ghasri:
...I lived in the middle of the turmoil. I remember seeing the impact of war first hand...and make snow appear like magic.
Yes, nothing like creating a taste of nuclear winter, or biological fallout to disturb an audience. Be careful. Like the song goes... "the answers are blowing in the wind".

-Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 1st, 2003, 3:08 pm

Originally posted by Mark Johnson:
I think it would be very dependent on the news of the day and the socioeconomic makeup of the audience. If they're all Iranians then I think you have a great idea. The average westerner probably doesn't give a hoot about the crimes Iraq did to Iran during that time period. All they remember is the price volatility of fuel and the hostages situation. It could go great but here in the midwest, it would be a real bomb.

I'd try it first with high school or college students. To them it's ancient history. but middle aged right wingers probably wouldn't care or they might even leave the room. so I'd say screw them and work on a good presentation, but be prepared for the occassional hillbilly mentality.

Personally I'd play it safe and never, ever mix politics and entertainment unless you're really good at it (for example Mark Russell). Very few can pull it off.

Personally I leave my politics rolled up under my pillow every morning and start a new day. Politics and religion are touchy subjects and you are sure to offend someone if you bring these subjects up, especially now. It's up to you whether or not you care. or if it's a paying gig, what the promoter thinks.

That's my two cents, and I could be totally off base here.
I see what you mean by being offensive when referring to politics. For example, you could refer to "right wing" and "hillbilly" in the same context, and irritate some of us right there.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”