Your favorite table?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Your favorite table?

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2004, 6:38 am

I'm wondering what others consider their favorite table. It can either be decorative or one you use for performances.

I have several. P&L is at the top , dragon base probably first. I have a base similar to a P&L base but has the profiles of demons or devils. Steen's maybe? Anyone who knows please post an answer.

I also have a Viking Pro table that is an absolute workhorse.

I also built a box-type table similar to that popularized by the late Tony Marks. This is great as you can ditch & steal from it. It uses a P&L base.

Best regards,

Pete

Jerry Harrell

Re: Your favorite table?

Postby Jerry Harrell » October 11th, 2004, 7:52 am

My favorite table is also a P&L Dragon Leg. About five years ago, my son fashioned a beautiful bloodwood top for it. I also love a table I bought from Joe Berg in 1965 that is chrome with a clear lucite top. Very simple, clean and classy looking. I have no idea who manufactured it, but it has served me well for forty years.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 11th, 2004, 8:23 am

Originally posted by Pete Mills:
I have a base similar to a P&L base but has the profiles of demons or devils. Steen's maybe?
The two Steens bases I had some years ago had red ruby colored glass in the eyes of the "demons." If you have a picture I can probably ID them for you.

(note to self: find those steen table pics)

-=tabman

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 12th, 2004, 11:40 pm

I worked on the road for many years with a P&L base that held a nite club table - essentially an open, upholstered box, made for me by Kirkham. I had the Wm. Ball Co. make a fiber case to carry it for $20, which gives you an idea how long ago it was. I used that table for years. The entire act fitted inside.

I now use, and have been using for some time, the 15 Second Table that uses it's removable top for the base, into which the upright is placed. A fixture in the bottom of the box holds it in place on the upright. The inside is lined with Velcro-compatible material and there's a sliding half-top to put things on when necessary. When closed, it looks like a nice ATA case. Very practical. I've used it for over ten years and the entrie act still fits inside.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2004, 5:34 am

Tabman,

Sorry but I don't have a digital camera otherwise I'd email a pic.

The faces of the demons are pointed away from the center pedestal and have horns that point towards the rear of their heads, no ruby eyeys although this would have been cool.

Unfortunately I don't use it much living in the midst of the Bible belt as I do.

Thanks for your response,

Pete

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2004, 9:05 am

Pete,

Tabby and I both live in Tennessee, in the "Bible Belt" as you so succinctly put it. Where do you live in the south?

Jon

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 13th, 2004, 12:27 pm

that sounds like it could be a steens. are the "legs" molded out of aluminum??? steens was an aluminumist!! i have some pictures in a cigar box around here someplace of the steens legs. i used to buy all kinds of table bases and put tabman table tops on them. theres probably been one or two of every kind in here over the years. let me find those pics and ill post a scan for you.

right jon, if this is the bible belt then central tennessee must be real close to the buckle!! i remember back when we did the music city conclave the murfreesboro tennessee magic ring actually boycotted us because they said that max maven, our headliner, was "in league with the devil!" when i told max about it said it was not true since he "hardly knew him!"
-=tabman

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2004, 6:53 am

Jon, Tabby,

Yes, the legs are of molded aluminum.

I live in Tyler, Texas which is about 85 miles east of Dallas. As a former resident of Dallas and prior to that of Chicago I still feel like a stranger in a strange land.

It's quite conservative, hence my comment regading the table.

I do go to Dallas once in awhile to hang out with the phillistines though :cool: .

Pete

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 14th, 2004, 11:22 am

i know right where you are and having come up in the texas music scene i know tyler texas is famous for the old robin hood bryant recording studio. among others its where zz top got its start when they were called moving sidewalks or american blues. i dont know much about the magic scene in tyler though. i do know ive got some pictures of those steen table bases around here. very well made pieces of gear. does the shaft break down in two pieces??? conradi made some nice tables bases too of nickle plated brass if you ever geta chance to get one of those.
-=tabman

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 14th, 2004, 3:26 pm

Tabman -- let us not forget that Tyler gave us Kings X.

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2004, 11:26 am

I've got the Dragon table. I've always loved it. Unfortunately, (sp) in moving around I've managed to lose the top and shelves! :(

I've got the dimensions, and if I ever managed to get to a Home Depot, I'd like to buy some plywood and 2X2s to remake the top and shelves.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 6th, 2004, 12:07 pm

The Dragon Tables are beautiful, no doubt but my favorite table (that I didn't make) is Homer Hudson's Imp Table. Homer was a grand man. Charlie Randall introduced us in LV and I got to spend some time with him there and we got to be friends by long distance. I sure miss his letters. I think he might be the last person who worked for Floyd Thayer during the day.

I'm glad to see this topic come back up to remind me to find those Steen table base pics.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2004, 3:06 pm

Conn's rig is wild!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 6th, 2004, 6:49 pm

I had the late Cas Boxley make a table for me that was similar to the Matel Magic set, only high quality with leatherette covering and billiard cloth inside and piano hinges, all on a P&L base that I added large casters to.

It is fabulous and fits under seat of airplanes.
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 6th, 2004, 7:50 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro: I had the late Cas Boxley make a table for me that was similar to the Matel Magic set, only high quality with leatherette covering and ...
Pete, I was recently going through my notebooks looking for some ideas and I have a picture of this very same table that I took at your Walnut Creek digs in your magic room. Very nice work indeed!!! And a nice place to visit too. You're a great host!!!

-=tabman

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2004, 9:52 am

R. Robinson has an e-book/essay on magi-tables...

Ready for dowload to read on your palm pilot (etc.)

http://allmagic.com/allmagicreader//index.html

These mobile-magic essays are just one of many reasons I continue to revisit his all magic site.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » December 7th, 2004, 6:19 pm

Originally posted by -=tabman:

i remember back when we did the music city conclave the murfreesboro tennessee magic ring actually boycotted us because they said that max maven, our headliner, was "in league with the devil!" when i told max about it said it was not true since he "hardly knew him!"
-=tabman
The Murfreesboro ring actually refused to book MarcoM, because they said he was in league with the Devil. He found that amusing.

What are fools like that doing in the magic business, anyway?
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 7th, 2004, 6:33 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer: The Murfreesboro ring actually refused to book MarcoM, because they said he was in league with the Devil. He found that amusing.
Hmmmm. Him too??? I'm beginning to see a pattern forming here!! What I'm wondering is, does MarcoM know Max Maven???

-=tabman

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » December 8th, 2004, 9:20 pm

Yes. The two of them and the Devil have tea every Sunday, while the good folks of Murphreesboro are in church.

BTW, my favorite table is one where the fellow tips you a C-note.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 8th, 2004, 9:33 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer: BTW, my favorite table is one where the fellow tips you a C-note.
Good one Bill!!!

-=tabman

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2005, 6:26 pm

Does anyone know how much the Hudson tables would be?

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2005, 9:36 am

My favourite table is from Abbott's and is their inexpensive "floating table" which looks great, tears down easily, is the right hight to stand at for close-up, makes a great side table AND you have a ready to use encore piece if needed.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 6:56 am

I use a Harry Collins roll on table.I do not think you can get them anymore.Cordially,Howard

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”