Lecturers?????

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Lecturers?????

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Ok what has happened to magic lecturers. I have been out of the club scene for a while and jsut recently came back into it. I used to LOVE going to the lectures and learning somthing new. Well since I have been back and attending meetings lectures. Well I have seen 2 and both were glrified dealer shows is this now the norm teach NOTHING but sell as much as you can? Demmo everything you sell and teach none of it. I would love to know if this is the new LECTURE format for magic. If it is you can keep it. If I want a Dealer show I'll remember Diamond he gave a great one and you knew what you were getting.

Jeff Haas

Re: Lecturers?????

Postby Jeff Haas » March 17th, 2005, 10:04 pm

See Mike Close's new lecture, it's terrific. He teaches people how to think about magic and improve your own material, as well as demonstrates some good tricks.

We're about to get John Carney's lecture in Palo Alto, CA. This is another one that's supposed to be more about theory than about just tricks.

You're in Florida...see Paul Cummins or Chad Long next time they do a lecture. Both are great guys with good material and good lectures.

There are other good lecturers out there, they're not all dealer demos.

Jeff

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » March 24th, 2005, 10:03 pm

That's strange. I have seen about a half dozen lectures this year in Houston. Even the ones by dealers at least taught the material they were selling. If you wanted it, you could buy it. If not, you didn't have to.

Why don't you post a list of these "dealer lecturers," so we will know not to hire them. But please leave Daytona Magic and Ickle Pickle off the list. They don't charge for their lectures. They are admitted dealer demos, even though they teach a lot of their material.

Danny Archer also teaches his material as well as selling it.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Randy

Postby Randy » March 25th, 2005, 11:29 am

Dear Jeff,

You should love the John Carney lecture. I've seen him lecture about 3 times and he is a fantastic teacher. He will motivate you to think about the magic you're already doing and well as some new stuff.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 25th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Second that remark about Carney. His lecture (and a couple of others, like Close) are a wonderful value because if you are just looking to see some great magic and be entertained you'll get your money's worth.

If you want to learn a new trick or two you'll get something that's actually worth doing.

If you want to go deeper, that's there too.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”