Let me Egg you on!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Let me Egg you on!

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2002, 9:18 am

Folks, I've just finished perusing the new "Encyclopedia of Egg Magic" from Hermetic Press and this is one monster book! Full of superb material for the standup, platform, and stage magician (as well as lots of stuff for the close-upers). What a great book ... but you already know I feel that way because of the large excerpt on "Kling-Klang" I ran in Genii a few months ago. You really should buy this unique book and add it to your library. You WILL get a hell of a lot out of it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: Let me Egg you on!

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2002, 5:26 pm

Richard,
I was very impressed with the different handlings in the magazine. I'm working on a handling of that great effect for my "Victorian/Classical" magic act.
Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into the magazine each month. I have to say that a few years ago, I'd stopped getting Genii, but now you're my favorite. (Though I still like the others.)

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » April 26th, 2002, 8:13 am

I want to second the "Thanks" to you , Richard, for the large section on different versions of Kling-Klang. I would like to see more stand-up/parlor effects in Genii. Even stand-up/parlor card effects , mind you ! (different presentations for rising cards, etc.)

Haven't purchased the Encyclopedia of Egg Magic yet, but it's on my list.

Conus

Postby Conus » April 28th, 2002, 11:00 am

I recently picked up the "The Encyclopedia of Egg Magic" because of the coverage in Genii & I must say this is one great book ...

In reading my copy of the book, I became interested in egg skins -- and I thought I'd give Colucci's instructions a try.

So, I picked up a few duck eggs this morning & I am now waiting for my prop to cure ...

In the mean while, can anyone pass along a few tips regarding care & handling? How long can I keep the thing "out & ready?" Is dryness a problem? Can anyone pass along any tips or ideas for temporary carrying & storage?

I am also interested in any first-hand tips about folding ... such as, information about the length of time I can keep the skin "in a ready state" and still obtain optimum results.

Many thanks for your kindness and help!
-- Conus

Postby Guest » April 28th, 2002, 8:48 pm

Lew Ganson gives quite a bit of information on egg skins in his description of Max Sterling's Egg On Fan routine in Routined Maniupulations Part 1. I can't get to my copy right now (wife is sleeping) but as I remember he advises applying glycerine between shows, keeping it inflated in a sealed glass jar. As far as moisture during use, he apopogetically says that spittle appears to be the ideal mositener. If pulling the skin from a flower (as in changing flower petal to egg) he advises a light sprinkling of water over all to keep it moist. The little guys must be tough - he writes that one skin should last a season of performances! I have been tempted to try a natural egg skin, but I keep using latex! Hope this helps! --Asrah

Conus

Postby Conus » April 29th, 2002, 3:53 pm

Many thanks, for your comments Asrah ... I'll check out Ganson.

I tried out my first egg skin today (5 more pending in a day or so). I have applied glycerine per Colucci's instructions.

The skin does not seen to want to inflate very easily ... perhaps I need to enlarge the hole, as I used a piece of coathanger. Also, the hole I made is not perfectly round, as Colucci recommends, but is a little ragged.

I'll give the skin some time to absorb the glycerine. It will also take some time on my part to become familiar with its properies.

Your guess is correct, though ... these things seem to be pretty tough and durable.

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 9:11 pm

I once made a home-made egg skin from just a normal chicken egg I got from Kroger. It stayed in pretty good shape for over a year staying in a solution of rubbing alcohol and water during that time, and when I found it (forgotten on a shelf in the bathroom...I'll never forget my wife's face when she said, "What is THIS?").
I took it out of the solution, blew it up and played around with it for a while to see how it would do, and seemed fine. Since it was only a "test" model, I did tear it to see how much stress it would take, and it seemed very durable.
Rick

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2002, 9:49 pm

Regarding inflation time... try pressing each end flat and making an 'L' shaped cut - making two squarish flaps, one on each end. This will speed up the inflation time (again, according to Ganson.) --Asrah

Conus

Postby Conus » April 30th, 2002, 3:55 pm

After experimenting, I found the skin's ability to inflate depends on its moistness. (Results vary greatly.) I've also found that the speed of inflation is affected by the manner in which the egg is folded.

Cutting flaps in the ends of the egg was a great tip ... in fact, I think I'm going to cut flaps in my next round of eggs, rather than bore holes per Colucci's instructions. (The flaps spring right into place and are virtually invisible when the egg inflates.)

Many thanks for the tips & help!

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 10:34 pm

If I could have only one book on Egg magic, this would be the one!

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2002, 6:18 am

Say, does the Encyclopedia have the old Tarbell (in the "course" but not in the books) comedy egg production? That brings back memories :)

- Doug

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 11th, 2002, 8:20 am

Doug, if memory serves I think that comedy egg production is now in Tarbell 8, which contains most of the original material from the mail-order course that didn't make it into the first 7 volumes.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2002, 10:13 am

Thanks, Richard. Eggsess to the eggspertise on this forum eggceeds eggspectations.

:genii: = :)
Doug = :rolleyes:

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”