Original Gaughan Interlude question/HELP

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Original Gaughan Interlude question/HELP

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2006, 6:25 am

I made a post on the cafe...here's a copy of it here to see if anyone has some additional suggestions:

Well, I finally acquired an original Gaughan-built Interlude illusion-- one I've wanted for a very long time. It has always been one of my favorites, and I've always wanted to perform it. The construction is superb, but I definitely need some help regarding the performance and handling the illusion. I have opted not to use the f*** l** method, and the illusion came shipped with it disassembled. I have all the necessary items to make it work, but do not know how to reassemble it. My understanding is that most people who perform Interlude do not use that system, but rather employ a t**** to allow the pass through.

After trying the illusion several times, I have trouble holding a natural stance while allowing the "penetration" to occur. Furthermore, my assistant seems to be having trouble as it is a "tight squeeze". I am 5'11" about 175 lbs, and the illusion was built for someone of my stature. Is this the nature of the illusion-- just requiring considerable practice to get the penetration correct, or am I doing something wrong? Everything just seems real jerky and unnatural--which is very unlike the performances I have seen.

I don't see how the f^^^ l^^ would offer any benefit in terms of additional room. I really need advice from some of you pros out there. Feel free to PM me so we can discuss the method in detail. Also, you can e-mail me directly at prolink18@aol.com with some ideas. I love the prop, and really want to make it part of my act....it just seems very tough to do.

Regards,

Jonathan Schweid

Pete Biro

Re: Original Gaughan Interlude question/HELP

Postby Pete Biro » April 8th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Why don't you phone John Gaughan and/or Steinmeyer and talk it over with the creator/builders?
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2006, 7:45 am

Copperfield may have been the first one to perform it without the gimmick. Siegfried and Roy also didn't use it, but less successfully. The Pendragons do use it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2006, 8:32 am

i guess its a matter of physique and flexibility wether one has to use the gimmick or not.

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Originally posted by Mop Krayz:
i guess its a matter of physique and flexibility wether one has to use the gimmick or not.
That's how I've always understood it as well. There is nothing inherently wrong with the gimmick, but if you can do it without, go for it!

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 10:29 am

Come on! You're a surgeon. You should be able to do it without any gimmicks!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 25th, 2006, 1:07 pm

So what did you find out when you called John and Jim?
Stay tooned.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”