Linking Ropes

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Doug Conn

Linking Ropes

Postby Doug Conn » May 2nd, 2002, 11:06 am

Looking for references, resources (if there is any)concerning the linking ropes:

Is anyone aware of versions that use an extra (short) piece (ala' George Sands, Daryl, etc.)

FYI: I've basically converted the Bruce Allen / Dave Williamson ring rope thing into a linking rope effect. Jus wondering if others have thought along the same lines....

thanks,
Doug
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Linking Ropes

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2002, 12:57 pm

I don't know if he originated the idea of doing a linking effect with ropes, but E.J. Moore did created "The Linking Ropes" with magnet gimmicks. Can't recall seeing a linking rope routine prior to that anywhere--but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, if it does exist, then you get back to what you are doing now, which is having the extra piece (no magnet).
By the way, there are some superb Linking Rope routines out there that haven't been published in English. Sawa of Japan and Jean Merlin of France both have killer/fooler routines.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » May 2nd, 2002, 6:36 pm

Edwin Hooper marketed yet a different version of Linking Ropes (not the E.J. Moore gimmick) called "King-King Rope Rings".

It's in his book EDWIN'S MAGIC Vol. II

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » May 3rd, 2002, 1:47 am

ah yes don't forget hidden way like the girl in the shuttered room... Tarbell's Linking Rope Routine. In Volume 6.

;)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 3rd, 2002, 9:01 am

Howie Schwarzman has a fine handling (not sure if he has ever put it in print) as does Peter Gloviczky.
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 3rd, 2002, 9:56 am

Gloviczky's is in print and was part of his lecture. Lots of magnets. At the end, the 3 pieces of rope become one long piece. I did it once in a show, but hadn't rehearsed with the microphone stand. I did the big tada pose at the end, when one end of the now long rope jumped over and attached itself to the mic stand. More magic than I wanted to happen!

Don Lawton's routine is also in print.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2002, 12:38 pm

Gloviztki's (sorry for my poor spelling Peter!) routine is marketed by Tenyo with beautifully made orange ropes under the title "Hungarian Linking Ropes."

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 3rd, 2002, 1:02 pm

Phonetcially speaking (Richard)you're OK...

Glo-vitsky is not only a fine magician, but one of the world's leading vascular surgeons. He is credited with the ability to save people from amputation of their feet by doing micro surgery on their veins.

I believe he also assisted in keeping Lefyty in business when Jay Marshall was at the Mayo Clinic for heart surgery.

Another fellow Hungarian...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 3rd, 2002, 4:54 pm

Lazlo is my main hungarian :(

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2002, 10:52 am

Richard mentioned Jean Merlin's routine, saying that it was not published in English. While trhat is somewhat true, Jean Merlin released a series of manuscripts that allow access to some of his routines (including the linking ropes) for English speakers. There's no text, but rather step by step illustrations.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2002, 8:23 pm

I've had the Jean Merlin lecture notes with his Linking Rope routine for 30 years: I have NEVER been able to dope out the routine from James Hodges' illustrations without any text. I have been after Merlin for years to do a book on rope magic, but ...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 7th, 2002, 6:20 pm

Howie Schwarzman has a great linking rope routine, RK... see if he'll give it to Genii...
Stay tooned.

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » May 8th, 2002, 12:35 am

Originally posted by Dai:
Edwin Hooper marketed yet a different version of Linking Ropes (not the E.J. Moore gimmick) called "King-King Rope Rings".

It's in his book EDWIN'S MAGIC Vol. II
Is this the same routine which appears in Eric Lewis' Personal Magic Volume One? It's credited to Supreme, so I'm assuming it's Hooper's. The CD-ROM includes a video performance of the routine by Martin Lewis. It looks terrific!

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » May 8th, 2002, 5:24 am

I haven't seen the Eric Lewis book , but as far as I know Supreme only marketed the one version of linking ropes ( 'King-King Rope Rings') , so if he credits it to Supreme then that must be the same one.

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » May 15th, 2002, 12:53 pm

I know that this isn't productive at all, but the Linking Ropes is such a dreadful trick. I'm not sure if I can find a non-card trick that I hate more than the linking ropes.

-Jeremy

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 15th, 2002, 6:47 pm

Dood... Linking ropes are for guys that want to do the linking rings, practicing at night and don't want to wake the kids! :D
Stay tooned.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”