What is the best way to vanish a dollar bill?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

What is the best way to vanish a dollar bill?

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 2:45 pm

There are many ways to vanish a dollar bill out there. Which is the best way to do it? One of the simplist ways to do it, is to put it in a pay envelope and burn it. The problem I see, is without a pyrotechnics license (in CA), it would be illegal to do or the place that you are performing doesnt allow fire. Another way, is to use a bill tube, but it doesn't seem natural. At least the pay envelope seems more natural. A bill switch to a flash bill would work, but fire is again used in the effect. A thumb tip could be used too. So. are ther any other suggestions?

Jim Riser

Re: What is the best way to vanish a dollar bill?

Postby Jim Riser » December 9th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Give it to your wife. This method is foolproof and works with any denimonation.
Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 9th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Riser... I hate you... you beat me to the punch! :whack:

Seriously... there are nifty little dollar bill shredders in the novelty/magic shops that might workk for your routine. Or, you could tear it up and put some Newman's Own dressing on it and eat it like a little salad.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 5:22 pm

Funny that you mentioned my wife. She is in the act and she is taking my money from me, as I produce it. She was going to put it in her blouse. I was then going to ask for some money from somebody out in the audience in order to do a bill in lemon effect. I don't know why I can't get the bill I borrowed the same way I was going to get the other bills from her later on in the show. It would be funnier and it would give me a better reason to leave the stage at the end of the act. I guess I might have to forgo the lemon bit. Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggstions.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 9th, 2005, 6:11 pm

Roll it in a tube and vanish it with a $1.95 wooden cigarette pull.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 9th, 2005, 8:00 pm

I don't think there is a "best" way to vanish a bill. It depends entirely on the routine in which the bill vanishes, where it reappears, etc. I think more information about your routine will yield you a better answer.

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 8:17 pm

The routine is "Hunters Vit C". In the routine, they suggest one way, by burning it in a coin envelope. I am not afraid of doing this, but I am concered about using fire in the State of Calif. They have fire rules and I need a license to do that sort of thing while performing. Technically, I can't even light a match while on stage.

Solyl Kundu

Postby Solyl Kundu » December 15th, 2005, 4:57 am

Hi!
I'm not sure if it is preferable!
How about crumpling the bill into a ball and throwing upwards to vanish like the way we vanish billiard balls?
Best regards.
MAGICordially,
Solyl
(Solyl Kundu,Kolkata, India)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 15th, 2005, 7:28 am

Originally posted by Leland E.:
... One of the simplist ways to do it, is to put it in a pay envelope and burn it. ...
Depends on where you need it next. A teleport envelope manages a great vanish of a bill THEY put into envelope. A TT manages a good vanish where they get to tear up the envelope.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 15th, 2005, 10:12 am

Do the TT switch for a piece of newspaper?

I would double check about lighting a match and burning a piece of paper... you MIGHT be wrong there.
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 15th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Another approach is, instead of vanishing the bill, do the bill switch, changing the one into a hundred. Put that in your pocket, then find the original one in wherever (sorry, I don't know Hunter's Vit C). There are some magicians who think this doesn't quite make sense, and I can see that. But it can be quite effective.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » December 15th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Pete - that's a good one right out of MK $100 Bill Switch - he suggests dropping the one into a drink after retrieving it from the pocket! (Not a fresh drink)

If you can get around pyro - switch it for a flash bill. You know what to do then...

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2006, 7:15 am

Thanks to everyone that responded. It so happenes that when it came time to make the bill disappear, I missed my cue and didn't give the bill to her. I put it in an envelope which had a slit in it and palmed it off. I should have given it to my wife and she was to put it in her blouse. I realised what I did and slipped her the money while we were looking for another envelope. It didn't go as planned but we recovered.

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 3:22 pm

i want to say hello , this is my first reply in this forum.
I usualy perform this trick using the thumb tip
it's easy , fast just need some secondes.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » March 1st, 2006, 4:21 am

A no-fire flash vanish of a bill - that reminds me of the days when they first invented photo flash cubes and a magician discovered how to set one off in the hand. I used to use one on a pull to make all sorts of things vanish (along with the pull) in a flash. I guess today's equivalent would be to rig up an electronic strobe flash to the end of a pull. I'm surprised someone hasn't already done that.*
* all manufacturing rights reserved... just in case...
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”