Thayer Devil Sticks???

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Thayer Devil Sticks???

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2003, 8:17 am

As a followup to the great discussion on Chinese Sticks I'm wondering if anyone can explain the Devil Sticks that Thayer produced? Do these sticks operate on the same principle as the chinese sticks, or are they a different effect alltogether? I imagine their use is covered in the Gravett books on Thayer apparatus, but I don't have access to these. Thanks for any help.

Pete Biro

Re: Thayer Devil Sticks???

Postby Pete Biro » October 22nd, 2003, 9:08 am

I forget the exact hookup but it is a string and stick trick, but you cannot separate the sticks.

You may find something like it in Discoverie of Witchcraft.

Note: I don't think it would fool anyone.
Stay tooned.

Don Wilson

Re: Thayer Devil Sticks???

Postby Don Wilson » October 31st, 2003, 12:16 pm

Re: Devil Sticks: Thayer put these out in large and mini size. Effect is two sticks, about 12" with holes in each end with a cord running thru the holes at each end. Cords have a knot at each end. The sticks, when separated, are about 18" apart with cords holding. Cords are run back and forth at each end, looking as if the cord runs attach the sticks together at each end, and go straight thru the sticks. Pull strings to make sticks together, pull one cord so 1/2 is showing on each side of stick, then cut thru the cord. Can show the sticks at that end are not tied anymore. Then pull on the cord from either stick, and the cord pulls back and forth as before it was cut, apparantly restored. the cords actually criss cross inside the pillars, and have to be restrung after each use. John Snyder Jr put them out in 1941 as Devil Sticks, Thayer called them Devil Pillars. Hope this answers your question! Don

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”