Illusion Building Tips #1

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Chance Wolf

Illusion Building Tips #1

Postby Chance Wolf » December 23rd, 2002, 4:51 pm

Hello,
As promised, I am beginning a series of Building Tip posts. Some of these may be known to fellow builders however, I believe them to be helpful to others.
My first tip: M.D.O. Plywood for use in constructing main panels of any "Box" type Illusion (Zig-Zag, Mismade etc.) M.D.O. stands for Medium Density Overlay. It is abit more expensive but is well worth it considering the Prep Time you save as well as Endurance. Basically, it is a quality Plywood with a Paper laminate on the top surface. I used this in the Sign Industry for many years. It allows a smooth as glass finish with MINIMAL prep work. You do not fight the Grain showing from standard Plywoods. Each sheet has a 2 Good sides, however, one side is always a little better, Make sure to mark the Better side OUT when plotting your cuts. After cutting all parts, and prepping the edges*, simply Tack Cloth the wood and apply your Primer. Sand your Primer w/ 320 grit sandpaper and apply your Finish Coat** using a high grade Enamel*** or Laquer paint.
I will post the following tips ASAP
*Edge Prepping
**Finish Coat Tricks
***Kick Butt Paint to use
Hope this helps!
Chance Wolf
Success and wealth are symptomatic of your passion.

Chance Wolf

Re: Illusion Building Tips #1

Postby Chance Wolf » December 23rd, 2002, 5:05 pm

Edge Prepping Tip:
Nothing is more of a Pain in da Butt than trying to get those Plywood edges smooth. Here is the easiest way to achieve a beautiful finished edge with minimal effort. Home Depot carries a product called Elmers Carpenter's Wood Filler. It comes in a 3.25 Oz. Squeeze Tube. It is water based, non-toxic and odorless. Blocksand your plywood edges with 220 grit sandpaper. Don't kill yourself on this step, just knock down the surface a bit. Squeeze the Wood Filler Paste onto a small plastic squeegee or your fingertips and firmly apply along all edges of the plywood. Let dry for 30 min. or so and blocksand w/ 220 Grit paper again. This stuff sands VERY EASY so don't get too crazy. The idea is to maintain as much filler on the edge which will keep the Primer from sucking into the edge grain. Just make sure the edges are smooth and level. Now your ready to paint! This is awesome for platform type tricks when you are trying to achieve an Owens type quality to your edges.
Hope this helps!
Any further questions, just ask.
Chance Wolf

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2002, 10:56 pm

Originally posted by WolfsMagic:
Edge Prepping Tip:
Nothing is more of a Pain in da Butt than trying to get those Plywood edges smooth. Here is the easiest way to achieve a beautiful finished edge with minimal effort. Home Depot carries a product called Elmers Carpenter's Wood Filler[...]
I offer an alternative in one word: Bondo

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » December 23rd, 2002, 11:05 pm

Bondo is fine but has drawbacks as it is harder to sand and more extensive mixing and quick cure time. Not to mention cost and odors. I am trying to give the simplest and effective methods for the beginner. Not to diminish your suggestion, just another option. Thanks for the additional suggestion!
Chance

Postby Guest » January 10th, 2003, 7:19 pm

Chance,

I'm really enjoying the info. about illusions. Anyone who looks at your site will realize you know whereof you speak.

Your work looks beautiful. Any chance the rest of the tips will be forthcoming?

Best regards,

Pete

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » January 11th, 2003, 2:27 am

Hey Pete, Thanks for the kind words! I will be posting additional painting tips this weekend. It will be worth taking a look at. Keep an eye open!
Thanks
Chance

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2003, 1:19 pm

Have you ever used Dutchment? (SP?)

It's used extensively in theatre. Basically, it's muslin dipped in a mixture of paint and glue (about 50/50) and it dries rock hard. You can then prime it and put on the face coat. This stuff will increase the the life expectancy of anything significantly. If you pad the wood with stapled on cardboard, (use 1/2" staples, the muslin shrinks as it dries) you can just pry off the cardboard if anything happens to the dutchment.

scott snider

Postby scott snider » March 10th, 2003, 9:31 pm

Chance, thanks for the great tips. I am hooked and look forward to more just like a soap opera.

Regards,
Scott

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » March 11th, 2003, 7:08 pm

I offer an alternative in one word: Bondo

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
Bondo plus Green Stuff for a real Gaughan or Owens finish. Spend time in the automotive paint finish stores - that's where the pros get their materials

Ralph Mackintosh

Chance Wolf

Postby Chance Wolf » May 7th, 2003, 11:40 pm

Hey Ralph,
That is a good suggestion however I am trying to establish tips for the Beginners. Bondo has many drawbacks for the rookies as well as reasons I stated before. I am trying to give easy methods to achieve semi-pro results. Otherwise the tips for just one topic could darn near fill a book. Thanks for the additional info either way.
Chance

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”