Color changing silk

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Philippe Noël

Color changing silk

Postby Philippe Noël » January 13th, 2002, 6:52 am

Hi,
I would like to add the color changing silk to my repertoire.
Do you know good routines in print or on video?
I have already found the Vernon routine in the Pallbearers review and Mac Comb's routine in his book, Mc Combs'Magic.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Philippe Nol

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Color changing silk

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 13th, 2002, 8:21 am

The routine I like the most is Ron Wilson's in "The Uncanny Scot." It is based on the routines you mention, but is breathtakingly natural in the handling of the dye tube.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

sleightly

Postby sleightly » January 13th, 2002, 2:18 pm

Jack Chanin's routine is very direct, yet simultaneously mystifying. The instructions and a performance video clip (by Martin Lewis) are on Eric Lewis' Notebooks Personal Magic Volume One available on CDROM from Martin Lewis ( Magikraft )...

Also, a good performance and explanation (with some interesting ideas) can be found on Frank Balzerak's Magic for Humans video produced by Murphy's Magic. Frank's piece, "Invisible Hand Pocket" is notable in that he performs it in walk-around venues.

ajp

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 14th, 2002, 12:38 am

Philippe,

Check "The A1 All Stars Video Series - Volume 5" for 'Sucker Silks' by Martin Lewis.

You should also contact Mayette Magie Moderne. I'm certain that they sell a Gaetan Bloom video that inlcudes a colour changing silk routine.
www.mayette.com

Au revoir.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 14th, 2002, 12:59 am

Philippe,

I've just realised that you're actually Belgian and not French. Please excuse my 'au revoir'.

If you don't speak French try contacting Stevens Magic Emporium. They stock a video by Gaetan Bloom titled "Smashing Close Up" which inlcudes the routine Changing Color Silks.

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2002, 10:22 am

I personally love the Billy McComb routine ending with the half dyed silk. In doing it over the last 15 years it has
evolved where an assistant from the audience actually does it with me.

The first looks very magical and the audience member actually does it also.

Then I go into the Billy McComb routine.

I then show the half dyed silk. and proceed to take the two silks from the audience assistant. He/she then makes a
magical gesture and their two silks transform into a checkered board silk.

Billy McComb has seen a tape of this and loved it. Thought it took the original routine to the next level. He did
have concerns about the assistant tipping it. In 15 years have never had that problem though.

I like to use this routine because the person from the audience is made to feel at ease and actually is perceived as
doing the magic with me, even after the original method is exposed. I have now set the standard that my audience
assistants are not made fun of .

This is the first time that I have tipped this routine to anyone but Billy. Use it and enjoy. But I retain all rights.

Reesman

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2002, 9:45 pm

I have to agree with the sentement about Billy's routine. Until I saw him perform that his handling, I'd never liked any version I'd seen (and I hadn't seen Ron Wilson's yet). Up until seeing Billy's, then Ron's, I'd only ever seen guys change one color to the second, then back. Not very magical. I think it's the unexpected surprises that make their's such fantastic routines.
The surprise ending on Billy's sold me on doing that routine, and I do it as written in his book (with my own presentation) and have been for some time.
Rick

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » January 15th, 2002, 1:11 pm

John,
I indeed speak french and I live in the french part of Belgium.
Philippe Nol

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » January 15th, 2002, 1:19 pm

Concerning Billy McComb routine.
Do you know where it is possible to buy a half dyed silk?
Philippe Nol

Ian Richards

Postby Ian Richards » January 15th, 2002, 2:11 pm

Hi Philippe,
P&A silks manufactures a set of silks for the Billy McComb routine, the set includes a solid white silk, a solid red silk, and a half diagonal red and white silk. All silks are 18" in size. In the U.S.A., these are available directly from P&A silks and also from Denny and Lee's magic shop.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2002, 4:55 am

The half dyed silk is also available from Abotts.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2002, 7:18 am

I don't have his number on me here at work, and I know he doesn't have a website, but Duane Laflin sells the 3 silks necessary for the McComb routine for only $15!! When I saw the old ads from Abbotts, they retailed it for $50! I've bought two sets from Duane, and they look great.

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2002, 10:33 am

I've seen Laflin's set and it is very nice. Their office hours are 9 - 4 (Mountain time?) M - F and Phone is 406-295-7790. Fax is 406-295-6076. --Asrah

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 22nd, 2002, 8:00 am

Buy 3 white silks and some Rit Dye. Making your own is easy. With a tight rubber band around the one to be 1/2-dyed (I prefer a little less than half way) you are in biz.
Stay tooned.

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 23rd, 2002, 5:44 pm

Where can one find Billy McComb's color changing silk routine?

Thanks,

Glen

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2002, 6:06 pm

Billy describes it in his book that was published by Supreme.

I know there was some controversy over this trick. Ken Brooke was quite upset with Billy over the routine. One of those proprietary squabbles.
Ken thought Billy shouldn't be doing the trick.
It is the presentation known in the UK as "sucker silk" first presented by Jack Le Dair.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » December 23rd, 2002, 6:30 pm

Originally posted by Mark Lewis:
Billy describes it in his book that was published by Supreme.

I know there was some controversy over this trick. Ken Brooke was quite upset with Billy over the routine. One of those proprietary squabbles.
Ken thought Billy shouldn't be doing the trick.
It is the presentation known in the UK as "sucker silk" first presented by Jack Le Dair.
If you're going to reference the book (McComb's Magic: 25 Years Wiser, 1972), it might be worth seeing what's inside, as Billy is quite clear on the history. Yes, there was a squabble, but Billy devotes most of the first page of the seven-page write-up to discussing the matter. And, although LeDair was involved in the dispute, he did not invent the routine, nor was he the first to do it.

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 23rd, 2002, 7:40 pm

Thanks Mark and Max!

I found Tom Waterman's Sucker Color Changing Silk routine in Brooke's "The Unique Years". How embarassing to be led to a book on your shelf. I presume the primary difference in the McComb and Waterman/Ledair routines is the addition of the 50/50 silk? I'll check out the McComb book at the Castle. Thanks again.

Glen

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 23rd, 2002, 9:08 pm

Glen, it's not embarrasing to be led to a book on your shelf ... it's a wonderful thing! All of us experience it often, and the more often you look at the books on your shelf, the more things you'll find.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 23rd, 2002, 10:15 pm

Maven, et al... did not Frank Lane have the first dyed silk with explanation?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2002, 11:26 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Buy 3 white silks and some Rit Dye. Making your own is easy. With a tight rubber band around the one to be 1/2-dyed (I prefer a little less than half way) you are in biz.
If you are going to make these up yourself please consider making them a different colour than red and white. It drives me crazy that magicians copy everything down to the exact colour of the original.
A friend of mine relates the story of seeing Billy do his black and white silk transposition in the paper bag at a convention. The next day every dealer was deluged with customers looking for black and white silks so they too could do Billy's routine never considering that they could use any other set of coloured silks they wished.
My set of half dyed silks right now is Green and Yellow and in the past they have been yellow and red and even yellow and pink.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 24th, 2002, 9:40 am

I use a white "handkerchief" and when wearing a tux I have a red handkerchief in my pocket... sooo, in my case, color coordinated.

BTW... I did a variation of the trick long before I had seen or heard of McComb's "Half/Dyed".

I bought the trick from Loyd Enochs. It included a special dye tube with a "spring catch" on the side. The change, through the hands, finished with about 20% of the silk (as opposed to 50% with Billy's) -- a corner -- NOT CHANGING.

You can see it in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. I forget the name of the Enoch's version.

I still use that original tube as one in the Half/Dyed routine I do, the other being one of Rice's Palmo gimmicks. (One is a tube the other almost a ball shape, so you can really tell them apart).

My handling changes for each steal based on the shape of the dye tube.

In addition, the patter/premise I use is somewhat different and developed over 20-plus years.

:p :p :p
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2002, 12:54 pm

If master children's entertainer Max Maven of TV Ontario fame wishes to draw reference to the Billy Mc'Comb book where he makes reference to the reference where Billy makes reference to the incident referred to he should at least refer to another source of reference where the other side of the story is referred to. If you see what I mean.

I refer of course to the Ken Brooke tapes produced by Martin Breese where Ken is sounding off about Billy Mc'Comb in a rather irritated manner.

I do not take sides in the matter. Ethics are not a subject upon which I am very well informed. However, lack of ethics are something with which I am very well acquainted. I would be delighted to give everyone here a little guidance in the subject.

Talking about ethics and Martin Breese reminds me that he once put out a fantastic little audiotape
entitled "Confessions of a cold reader" by Mark Lewis.

I know the presenter of said tape personally and can vouch for his great genius. I think Martin Breese does not promote the audiotape out of embarrassment for some reason.

I had better say no more. I do not want that Wendy personage to complain that I am narcissistic and self promotional.

Mark Lewis
www.marklewisentertainment.com

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2002, 1:00 pm

Oh, and I believe that although Jack Le Dair was not the first to do the actual trick he was the first to come up with that patter story and presentation.
When Ken sold the trick in the first place he emphasised "Music Hall rights to be held by Jack Le Dair" That was the cause of the irritation.

I have been led to believe by informed sources that Jack and Billy were two different people.

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2002, 2:18 pm

Pete Biro is apparently reluctant to announce that he does a really great silk color changing routine.
(He says in a post that he does a routine and that's all! It's really much more than that!)
I saw him years ago on the old Magic Palace TV show out of Calgary, hosted by Dale Harney.
Terrific routine!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 24th, 2002, 8:17 pm

Marucci... holy cow, I didn't know you were THAT OLD... did you know I had Laringitis when I did that show?

I had been in Las Vegas the week before shooting photos out in the desert. It was freezing cold. I got a cold so bad I lost my voice.

Calling the hotel's House Dr. I was given some serious and strange medication. I told him I had to be in Canada to do a TV show the following weekend.

He said, you will not be able to speak for about five days, but the sixth day you will be a little better, then take this (steroid) and the next day you will be OK.

It really worked (almost)... what happened was this.

I was pretty much OK and in the studio, drinking lots of water (as the Dr. suggested). I started my act and all of a sudden I felt my voice was going... but just then the director yelled, "cut. Sorry Pete, we weren't rolling tape, can you start over?"

I said, give me a minute and some water.

So, the audience had heard my opening gags, so I said, "Hey, you know the punchlines and usually that means NO laffs... so, lets see if you can pretend you had not heard the lines before and laff it up."

Well, thankfully, they really reacted like champs. A great audience.

As far as the routine goes, it combines Ken Brooke and Pat Page thinking with Billy's half-dyed. Billy had lost his props and I had a dozen or so sets I had picked up when I did a TV Special in Japan, so I gave a couple of sets to Billy.

My main contribution is the intro, set up and the handling. Stealing and switching dye tubes with natural reasons.

Funny bit. One time I was MCing a show and DROPPED the dye tube. I looked UP as if it was something that fell from above. Picked it up, said, "What's this?" Prentended to place it in my left hand and put it in my pocket.

Went on and did the routine as if nothing happened.

Heheheheh.... that's when it is FUN! :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 24th, 2002, 8:19 pm

I also use the Fawcett Ross steal out of the tube (moving the thumb out of the way so you can take tube out without pulling it UPWARD.) :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 25th, 2002, 8:26 am

Pete Biro writes: "Marucci... holy cow, I didn't know you were THAT OLD... "

Well, we who are approaching (approaching?) geezerhood try our best to diguise it. :eek:

Hey, I've still got that Magic Palace sequence on tape!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 25th, 2002, 12:29 pm

Magic Palace on tape? Adhesive? :p
Stay tooned.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 26th, 2002, 1:16 am

At the A1 convention in Sacramento a few years ago Roger Klause showed a lovely piece of misdirection for stealing the tube.

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 9:24 am

Roger Klause's routine for the color changing silk is written up very well in Lance Pierce's book Roger Klause in Concert. The handling of the dye tube builds on Dai Vernon's treatment and is very natural. In practice, I've found that a dye tube slightly shorter than the standard works best for the Klause routine, at least for me. I use the one that Duane Laflin carries.

Stefano

Postby Stefano » December 26th, 2002, 3:18 pm

Hello,
If you are interesting in Roger Klause routine Red & White, you may want also to check A-1 Multimedia tapes In Concert for see him perform and explain it.
I find out also in another video tape Ron Wilson version, Cap Cod Magic Conclave 1991, fine routine.
Cheers
Stefano

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 26th, 2002, 4:33 pm

Carl Cloutier has a nice handling, which as you might guess, involves the sleeving and retrieval of the dye tube at various stages of the routine.

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 27th, 2002, 1:56 pm

Hello Brad,

Where is the Carl Cloutier routine? It wasn't listed on his sleeving vid. Wasn't sure if he has lecture notes out there or not. Thanks in advance.

Glen

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 27th, 2002, 3:47 pm

Glen, It is on the "Lapping It Up" video.

Glen Guldbeck

Postby Glen Guldbeck » December 29th, 2002, 10:49 am

Thank you Brad. I will check out the video.

Glen

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”