seat drop gag

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

seat drop gag

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Hello,

I hope I am posting this to the correct forum. I remember seeing an ad in the other major magic magazine about a year ago for the stool gag where the seat appears to drop and when the performer stands up the shaft of the stool is seen sticking up through the seat. It wasn't the Dick Stoner stool, this was a smaller stool and was only about $400 if I remember correctly. Any help on tracking this down would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows the origin of this effect that would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Pete Biro

Re: seat drop gag

Postby Pete Biro » October 19th, 2005, 4:55 pm

The origin goes back to Yimka (British maker) and was marketed by Harry Stanley's Unique Studio.

Howard Bamman made a beauty of one for his own pesonal use.

I do recall a recent ad, but don't know who it was. You might do a google search.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2005, 12:05 pm

Thanks Pete. I guess I am going to backtrack through my old magazines to find the ad.

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2005, 5:18 pm

I seem to remember seeing them on ebay - made from drummer's thrones. --Mitch Dutton

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2005, 9:50 am

If you're thinking of buying one of these stools be wary of buying it from the company that is (was?)selling it on ebay. What they advertise is not what you get as the stool does not have the dropping feature. You sit down, get up and there's a spike there..... and no it doesn't make any sense.

Hank Lee sells one that does have the dropping feature under the tital of King Chair(I think). It works well but I found it necessary to make some alterations/additions to it to ensure its reliably. If you want the details email me. Cheers Neal Austin.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2005, 9:53 am

I advise everyone to read their posts before posting them so they don't write words like 'tital' instead of title. :rolleyes:

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”