Does Duke's Dye-Version still exist?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Does Duke's Dye-Version still exist?

Postby Guest » March 21st, 2006, 10:13 pm

I used to do children's magic some 20+ years ago... I have since dug up all my stuff from my basement and found some pretty fun stuff. My son turns 5 next week so I've come out of retirement for his birthday.

My question is this: I've been reading through one of my old books (Ginn's Professional Magic for Children) and in particular one of his routines using Duke's Dye Version.

I have googled and searched and can't seem to find this sold any more... only the "mini" version for close up. Is this still available? Has it been renamed?

thanks!

-- joshua

Pete Biro

Re: Does Duke's Dye-Version still exist?

Postby Pete Biro » March 21st, 2006, 10:30 pm

It was marketed by Abbott's. Perhaps they still have them?

And it is one great trick for sure.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2006, 6:18 am

Cool. I'll check w/ them. Odd that no one else even re-sells it.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2006, 8:41 am

I've seen David Ginn perfrom this routine at Blackpool a couple of years ago. It is ten minutes of solid entertainment.

It would be a mistake to assume that because there is hardly any technical skill that it is easy to do. David's routine will require time and multiple perfromances to get the hang of the timing, which is where the humour lies.

If you are planning on a one off show for five year olds, I don't think this is the routine to go for, as I feel it's more suited to older children.

In fact, I would recommend booking a magician. It will be much less stressful for you and you can sit back and enjoy the performance with your son.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2006, 9:02 am

Quentin -

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely not planning on this trick for my son's party...

I've just been contemplating coming back and doing shows more often and reading Ginn's book made me think about picking this one up. Not cheap tho... got a quote of $150 from Abbotts.

Re: Hiring another magician... probably not a bad idea but I promised his mother, my parents, and him for many years, that I would do a show for him @ his 5th birthday.... so now I'm on the hook.

I've found my Run Monster Run (with the Cookie Monster before Hank Lee got a cease and desist by Children's Television Workshop / Sesame Street), Jo-Anne Duck, Instant Art, and a number of other fun thangs in my basement. Other than being a bit nervous, I think it'll go well.

I'll keep y'all posted. :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 22nd, 2006, 11:28 am

Nervous? Why, are the 5-year olds stronger than your? Are they armed and dangerous? :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2006, 11:30 am

Well not armed but certainly dangerous. Let's see, 8 5 year olds, my ex-wife, my mother, father, brother, ex-mother-in-law, and girlfriend who ex-wife hasn't met will all be there.

Does that not make you nervous?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 22nd, 2006, 11:53 am

Not me, I don't know them... :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2006, 4:08 pm

If you ultimately decide to opt out of purchasing a new one from Abbott's, then I would suggest shopping around on one of the used dealer's sites like Allesi or someone that carries used silks. Of course, local ring auctions are also good opportunities to get cheap silks.

I would purchase silks with pictures of animals or nursery rhyme characters, e.g., stuff that kids recognize and then make your own Dye Version up. The large dye tubes are still available dealer items.

Rice's daughter will be at the MCA next week and she still has silks/stock for sale, but its still far pricer than obtaining used silks....which, when ironed, are perfect for your needs.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”