Linking rings

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Shawn Preston

Linking rings

Postby Shawn Preston » July 1st, 2004, 9:35 am

I am looking to create a 3 ring routine. Can anyone give me references. I am familiar with some of the classics with more than 3 rings, but I really like the simplicity of 3. Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Shawn
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. - Einstein

Pete Biro

Re: Linking rings

Postby Pete Biro » July 1st, 2004, 10:09 am

One of the best (Mike Skinner basically used this) is the Al Koran 3-ring routine. Now available at www.stevensmagic.com

Also, a fine routine is Chris Capehart's available from him on DVD at www.chriscapehart.com

You really don't need any more than these two.

:cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 1st, 2004, 10:10 am

I would suggest buying either Joe Porper or Owen rings. www.owenmagic.com or www.porperoriginals.com

You need to contact them directly via email to request the three ring set.

They might SEEM expensive, but believe me they are more than worth the price and will last several lifetimes.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 10:18 am

There is a nice three ring routine in the Lewis Ganson Art of Close-up Magic, Volume 1. It is based upon the moves used in the larger multi-ring routine by Dai Vernon.

The Skinner routine that Pete mentioned is also available on video.

Jon

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 1st, 2004, 10:20 am

Get Cellini's Lord and Master of the Rings dvd. It contains gorgeous and little-known moves with 2 rings, obviously easily incorporated in a 3-ring routine.

And for inspiration, watch Himber's 3-ring routine that appears on Don Alan's Magic Ranch.

Shawn Preston

Postby Shawn Preston » July 1st, 2004, 10:40 am

Thanks to everyone for the info. I appreciate the help.

Jon, what is the name of the video you mentioned with Skinner performing the rings. Is this one of the A1 videos?

Thanks again everyone

shawn
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. - Einstein

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 4:33 pm

Yes, I went to my collection to look. The Skinner 3-Ring routine is on A-1's Michael Skinner's Classic Teach-in Series, Volume 1: Linking Rings.

Also, I had almost forgotten this in my collection, but Stevens Magic has a great ring video with Richard Ross, Max Hapner, Jay Marshall, and Samual Patrick Smith. The routines of both Ross and Hapner are 3-Ring, plus the 5-Ring of Marshall and the 8-Ring of Smith have plenty of ideas to incorporate into the smaller ring set. The video is Linking Rings: The Greater Magic Video Library Teach-in Sessions.

With those listed in posts above, plus Skinner's, Ross's, Hapner's, and Ganson's from Art of Close-up Magic, you should have plenty of good ideas and approaches from which to draw.

Jon

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 1st, 2004, 10:42 pm

I have a spare copy of the Skinner tape, make me a low offer I can't refuse. :whack:
Stay tooned.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”