Egg Trick comments

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

Egg Trick comments

Postby Steve Vaught » February 7th, 2006, 7:45 pm

I have throughly enjoyed "The Book Of Secrets". I went to the trouble of making the egg described in the book and am so glad I did. I really am proud that it WORKS!! I am having a little trouble with the routine. I want to tear tissue paper and place the fake in a clear glass. I feel I am ok on the that part, it is the transfer that I am a little hesitant on. The real egg was going to be held in a ball holder under my coat(right side) and as I am displaying the fake egg (left hand), steal the real, and in the motion of showing the other side of the audience the egg, transfer it to my right hand with the real egg. I would then pick up the glass with the fake concealed in that hand, to break the egg. I am wondering if anyone would like to give some "in the trenches advice". I have never even seen this trick performed live, only on TV years and years ago. I really like the way the routine reads and it seems like it "packs small, plays big." The one thing Mr. Carney advises is making sure the transfer is smooth because that is the CRUCIAL time in the trick. So, again, would you have other ideas for switching the egg (USING THE GLASS)or have you used this kind of switch with success.

Steve Vaught

Tony Brent

Re: Egg Trick comments

Postby Tony Brent » February 7th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Steve,

I've been doing this trick for the past five years, two shows nightly, six nights a week. The following is my exact handling:

-I have the fake in thumb palm position, crumpled in my hand.

-Real egg is sitting in a tiny box behind table next to a white cloth the same color as the egg.

-Show napkin, then tear into several pieces, dropping some of the pieces, leaving nothing but the fake in my hand. To the audience it will look like just another piece of napkin.

-Drop the fake into the glass and swirl around. Stop swirling the glass and allow it to register that it's an egg.

-Walk to table and reach for cloth. Grasp real egg in finger palm and cloth with the fingers of the same hand.

-Lay cloth over the arm holding the glass. The audience will simply think you reached over to pick up a cloth.

-Roll fake into hand holding the real egg with mouth of glass toward audience so that they cannot see the real egg.

-Rotate the fake to the back of the hand with the real egg at the fingertips so you can break it on the edge of the glass.

-Let the egg drip down into the glass and then drop the shell in the glass also.

-Reach over with the hand secretly holding the fake and grab the cloth.

-Use the cloth to wipe the side of the hand holding the glass or even the glass itself to give a reason for having the cloth in the first place.

-Ditch the cloth and the fake at the same time and show glass/egg all around.

Steve, your email reads as though you take the fake out of the glass and show it before you try to switch it for the real egg. If this is the case I must say that there is no reason for this.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Tony Brent
Orlando, Florida

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » February 15th, 2006, 11:12 am

If you can find a copy of Bob Blau's World of Magic, the Tommy Martin routine for the egg trick is in there.

I learned the routine from Tommy before he started to suffer from Alzheimer's. When I wrote Bob's book, Tommy volunteered the piece for it. The description of the process was checked minutely with Tommy before the book went to press.

Hopefully, Bob's estate will allow me to reprint the book.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Randy

Postby Randy » February 15th, 2006, 11:27 am

A gentleman like Tony Brent is the reason this is the best forum on-line. No whining or name calling in this thread, just a working pro offering his proven work on handling to another magician. Thanks for sharing Tony. Bravo.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 15th, 2006, 2:36 pm

That was extremely generous of Tony.

I believe it was Al Wheatley (Chop Chop) who sold a large brandy snifter with a spun metal base where the real egg was secreted. I dont believe it ever became popular because the snifter wasnt quite large enough.

The Bob Blau book is a gem...one of the great bargains in magic. An old friend of mine did the Egg on Fan as done by Tommy Martin. I remember walking into his hotel room, finding a couple of dozen duck eggs in vinegar in the bathroom, in preparation for making skins for the trick. When he saw the write up in the Blau book he said that the clear explanation of the trick was worth far more than the pittance the book cost.

Then there was another effect in that book that made certain performers very unhappy as material that had been kept quiet for decades was revealed in detail. Bill, you should re-release it and charge plenty, given the quality of the material it contains.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm

I have one of the Chop Chop bases for a snifter and have been planning on using it. Just need to get an egg and a snifter!
Stay tooned.

Tony Brent

Postby Tony Brent » February 15th, 2006, 8:48 pm

I failed to mention that I use a standard wine glass for the effect. I believe it's 12 ounces but not sure. I've used snifters and the large wine glasses, however I like the fact that with long stem on the glass the audience has a very clear view of the fake/egg. Plus, if you hold the stem by the tips of the fingers and at the same time allowing them to see the other hand empty after the fake has turned into the egg, the audience sees that there is nothing in both hands without you having to actually say there is nothing in your hands.

Also, with a regular wine glass I feel you have more control over the spinning of the egg in the event that the fake isn't opening like it should!

Tony Brent
Orlando, Florida

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 16th, 2006, 2:59 am

I'd just like to add my thanks to Tony Brent for his excellent advice.

Matt Field

Tony Brent

Postby Tony Brent » February 24th, 2006, 11:17 pm

To Matt and others,

You are welcome. The Egg trick is a gem and truly looks like magic. The wait staff in my venue have worked with me for almost six years, watching two shows a night, six nights a week, and they still don't know how I do it.

Best wishes,
Tony Brent
Orlando, Florida
Outta Control Magic Show

Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

Postby Steve Vaught » February 25th, 2006, 10:46 am

Yes!!! I agree...and I have let Tony know just how generous he has been. I really appreciate his openess. We have spoken several times now.

Steve Vaught

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2006, 10:06 am

On the egg bag, which of course a terrific piece in the right hands, I have a couple of things that may be useful. Blown eggs are certainly the best, and you can make them invulnerable by pouring in an epoxy resin (or polyurethane) sloshing it around, and creating an inner wall. Or use a handy substance called Great Stuff, a spray foam that hardens into cement and weighs nothing.

Also another great idea from the Phoenix, you can lay the bag on a kid's head and the egg hangs at the back of the head perfectly concealed. You can put the egg in the bag, drape the bag on the kid's head, and pretend to squash the egg. Then show it's vanished.

these are some thoughts, hope they help.

John Riggs

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2006, 3:43 pm

Mr.Brent is to kind.This, like the silk to egg is a staple of my act.His handling should be studied for all of it's stublety's.Very nice job.Please post if you spend 6 month working it.I know most magi will not practice it because it will take at least a few gross of eggs in rehersal. Cordially,Howard

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm

Originally posted by Brown Hornet:

use a handy substance called Great Stuff, a spray foam that hardens into cement and weighs nothing.

Also another great idea from the Phoenix, you can lay the bag on a kid's head and the egg hangs at the back of the head perfectly concealed. You can put the egg in the bag, drape the bag on the kid's head, and pretend to squash the egg. Then show it's vanished.

Two excellent suggestions, John. Thanks!

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2006, 7:03 pm

Hey, the Phoenix is a cornucopia of great ideas. What I do with the squashed egg/ bag on head is squash the bag, then puuuuuull the egg from the kid's ear. For some reason, like everything with the egg bag, the audience finds this hilarious.

If you work for adults, it's still funny when a guy ( get one who is follically challenged) takes the role of the kid. But refrain from comparing his bald head to an egg -- it ain't funny, and the audience will do it for you anyway.
Oh, in answer to an e-mail, by Epoxy Resin I simply mean epoxy cement or glue. it comes in two parts, you mix them and stand back while it hardens. you can get it in varying drying times; I suggest two to three minutes to give it time to coat the inner surface.

John R

John R

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”