Other Methods of Vanishing Silk

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Brad A._dup1

Other Methods of Vanishing Silk

Postby Brad A._dup1 » January 19th, 2002, 11:23 pm

Beside a thumb tip, or a pull, what other methods can be employed to vanish a silk in the hands?

-brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Pete Biro

Re: Other Methods of Vanishing Silk

Postby Pete Biro » January 22nd, 2002, 7:57 am

Tie a tiny knot in a corner. When put the silk in your hands, with hands flat and parallel, you can cause it to roll into a small ball. Palm it off.

A catgut loop up the sleeve, for a lamp chimney vanish is awesome.

Poke into an egg or ball and topit it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2002, 8:12 am

Hard to believe this posting didn't go any further. A great method is published by David Williamson in Williamson's Wonders, published by Kaufman. There's another alternative that works really well, unfortunatly I don't know what it's called! It's a small cup (formerly metal, now flesh colored plastic) with a small tube inside which takes the end of a pencil. You palm the "cup", poke in the silk with the pencil, then jam the pencil in the small tube and steal out the cup as you take away the pencil. Anyone know what this is called? I'm sure Denny must sell them at www.dennymagic.com. That's all the plugs I have for my friends right now!

Mark

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 12th, 2002, 9:40 am

John Carney taught a beautiful silk vanish in his recent lecture at Magi-Fest. It uses a pull, but both the construction of the pull and especially the handling were novel. You would never suspect the pull, and the vanish was extremely magical.

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2002, 12:02 pm

The Carney pull sounds great. Is it a separate item he sells or is he going to put it into print?

Mark

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » February 12th, 2002, 12:06 pm

John's pull (you can make it yourself) is described in a separate pamphlet, but he sold these way too fast (had only 3, I think) for me to get one, and I no longer see it advertised on his web site. I HOPE it will be one of the items in his new book.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 12th, 2002, 12:18 pm

Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic Vol.1 Chapter 8 ,Vanishes, pages 290-359.
There's a ton of vanishes.
Andrew Martin

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2002, 4:58 pm

I believe that the deal where you poke the silk into the tube with a pencil or wand is called a "Silk Poke". I bought one from Duane Laflin for a few dollars.

Mr. Carney sells a pamphlet describing how to make an "Al Baker Lightning Pull". It's his description of the pull in Mr. Baker's "Pet Secrets".

Greg

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » February 13th, 2002, 6:57 pm

How does the Carney described pull differ from a standard one?

I was told about a version from Dick Zimmerman too. (Describe in one of his lecture notes)

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » February 13th, 2002, 8:16 pm

It's simple and he worked out lot of the bugs. You really hae to see John do it.
Andrew Martin

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 13th, 2002, 9:06 pm

A standard pull is generally a cup of some kind on an elastic. A take up pull uses leverage anf pulley type geometry to increase the "taking up" of slack. It is basically not elastic but cord attached to one wrist.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2002, 1:11 pm

The "Al Baker Lightning Pull" (that's really how he spelled it) is very simple and extremely fast. Mr. Carney made some small modifications to bring it up to date (like substituting fishing line for catgut and introducing velcro to allow for some adjustment), but the design of the pull is not the most interesting part of Mr. Carney's pamphlet. I'll tell you how to make one. In his booklet, Mr. Carney gives all of the details about how to attach the pull to something (like a handkerchief) in a natural way. This "real work" that comes from John Carney's experience and insight is what makes the booklet brilliant.

Let me describe the pull to you so that you can compare it with any other pull. It's made of four pieces. The first piece is a loop of fabric that fits on your left forearm. It wraps around like a [censored]. It should fit snuggly about six inches above your wrist, so that you can shove your coat sleeve up a bit and it will not show. This is the piece that Mr. Carney attached the velcro to, so that it could be adjusted.

The next piece is a loop of silk ribbon (or a shoestring, in Mr. Baker's original version). The ends of the loop must be sewn to each other, not tied. It is linked to the first piece like two interlinked rings. The loop is very short; it runs along your left forearm to your left elbow.

The third piece is a loop of elastic. The loop is eighteen inches long (so it takes about thirty-six inches of elastic). Again, the ends must be sewn together and it is linked to the second piece.

The last piece is a loop of fishing line. It links through the elastic and the ends are tied together. Experiment to find the right length. After making the loop, tie a knot in it so that a smaller loop (about two inches long) is left at the end.

Use a couple of safety pins to attach a half inch diameter plastic ring to your coat in the inside right armpit. Strap the pull onto your left forearm, put your left sleeve of your coat on, then thread the fishing line through the ring pinned to your coat. Put the small loop at the end of the fishing line over your middle finger and put on your right sleeve. The pull is anchored at your left forearm, has elastic going across your back, and has the fishing line (and part of the elastic) stretching down your right arm. When you wear it, the pull should be really tight, without making your shoulders scrunch up.

If a handkerchief is put through the small loop of fishing line, it can be instantly pulled up the sleeve by releasing the fishing line with the right hand and by moving both of your arms slightly forward.

So that's what the pull is. Mr. Carney teaches how to use it well.

Greg

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 14th, 2002, 4:29 pm

I will check out Carney's "work."

The single most difficult part of pull use is "getting" it, followed by "attaching" it... even the Ring Flight clips are difficult.

Having trouble?

Finn Jon showed me the best. Have a piece of flash paper over the clip... as you seemingly fold the ring in the paper, the clip tears through to attach to the ring.

You are covered beautifully... let 'er rip!
:D
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » February 14th, 2002, 4:37 pm

Pete, See if you can get John to demo it sometime for you. I just saw him do this recently, and the "getting," "attaching," and subsequent vanish is a joy to witness.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » February 14th, 2002, 4:39 pm

P.S. John also did his version of Vernon's 5-coin routine. Also beautiful beyond words.

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2002, 2:31 pm

When Supreme Magic Co. of England were still going, they had a silk vanisher called a Bang-gone. Made out of card and triangular in shape creating a loud bang almost like kids used to make in schools years ago.
:D

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”