Mikame Rope Board

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Mikame Rope Board

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 7:46 pm

Hello every one!

I'm a long time visiter of this site and devoted fan of the magazine and this is my first post to the site.

So without further ado...

I've been eyeing the Mikame Rope Board for a while now and it has really caught my attention.

The effect is this - you grab a 18" X 12" black board, show it clean on both sides, and write the word "rope" on it with a piece of chalk. You then take hold of the chalk writing and pull it from the board and it has become a real piece of rope. A three dimensional gap of the writing is left in the board.

So what I was wondering is, if anyone out there has seen this prop in action or if you happen to own one I'd love to hear your comments on it.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a product review...

It would mean a large investment on my part and I just want to be sure about what I'm getting before I take the plunge.

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks

Re: Mikame Rope Board

Postby Guest » October 1st, 2002, 8:47 pm

Hi Nelson:

I've heard mixed reviews about this one. I've not seen it myself, but I have other Mikame items and they're nicely made. I hear the rope board is nicely made too.

The big criticism I hear is that the effect is not nearly as clean as the advertisments suggest. The advertisements make it sound so clean and direct: You write on a chalkboard and then pull off the chalk, turning it into real rope. From what I hear, you have to wrap up the chalkbaord in a newspaper, set it on a table, and then pick it up, leaving behind something on the table. Something like that.

I got excited when I first saw the ads. Then I heard from others what it really is and decided not to get it.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Others will most likely be able to give you better details.

Ron Reid

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2002, 10:01 am

Thanks Ronald

Your comments are a big help. :)

I'm pretty sure I know how it woarks and your right the handling is not as clean as it sounds, but I think it can be a workable effect. I guess I'm looking for some practical info.

Again - Thanks

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2002, 2:54 pm

What's all the "Flap" about? It IS a SLATE trick! :D -A

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 4th, 2002, 11:08 am

The prop is well made and the "gag" is IMHO terrific... any pro worth his/her salt will work the handling out. Sure it is a flap that needs be ditched.

As Carl Ballantine says, "How else?"

If it fits your routine GET IT... Joe Stevens has 'em in stock! (Blatant Plug)...

Oh, BTW, tomorrow I ship the first batch of my new (old actually) FLOATING TABLE.

It works with any ungaffed card table. It takes mage and assistant or stooge... but it is awesome and priced right.

(REALLY BLATANT PLUG)... Oh, get 'em from Joe S.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2002, 4:21 pm

I've gotten gasps out of my audience with this effect. It is definately not as stand alone effect but a prop to use in conjunction with other effects in a routine. The trick is having some time pass between the writing of the word Rope and the revelation of the rope. I also got around the newspaper problem by having a bag made for the prop out of a busy pattern material. After I write the neccessary word I nonchalantly lay the board on top of this bag to ditch the flap which at least to me makes more sense than introducing a piece of newspaper.

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2002, 11:49 am

This trick is excellent. As said above, should not be used as a trick in itself, but as part of a routine - it is just a fun way to produce rope to use in a routine.

When I perform it I always get gasps from the audience.

But, when you order, the secret will probably not be as you expected - dealers write ups are often misleading and not exactly as the trick appears. You need to apply your imagination to best ways to use this.

In a nutshell, I think it is great.

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » October 21st, 2002, 5:42 pm

Pete: I have an Owen's and a Bill Schmelk (Wellington) table. I have never gotten these to look "magical". Do you sell your table directly?

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2002, 6:26 pm

Thanks guys.

You have inspired me. I purchased one not too long ago and I think it's fantastic. I can't wait to put it into my act.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”