Standup Wedding Magic Ideas?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Dan Trommater

Standup Wedding Magic Ideas?

Postby Dan Trommater » November 18th, 2005, 9:39 am

Hi all,

I've been asked by some good friends to perform magic at their wedding. It's a standup situation for around 250 people, so as much as I love it, I'm not sure Anniversary Waltz would play.

I can do any of my regular standup stuff, but I'd like it to be meaningful for a couple. Any ideas on other standup magic for that situation?

Thanks!

David Alexander

Re: Standup Wedding Magic Ideas?

Postby David Alexander » November 18th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Someone wrote this up years ago, I can't recall who at the moment.

Do the old Rising Ring on Wand trick, only do it horizontally with the bride and groom holding each end of the wand. Put her ring on, then his, about 8 inches apart, and as they hold the wand, have his ring slowly move so it is next to hers....magic "proof" that they are meant to be together.

Do it seriously and have it loaded with emotion. It should sell well.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » November 18th, 2005, 12:43 pm

The routine is Gary Kurtz'

Best,

N.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » November 18th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Anniversary Waltz will play. I've done it.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2005, 5:05 pm

I would think a natural would be a linking

finger rings. Tell the couple you don't want to

scratch their wedding rings so put these on

in front of their rings. Give the guy the Himber

ring a plated weding band for each. Link the rings

Switch the Himber out .Then if you want to do

more close with Anniversity Waltz.......Mike

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2005, 1:29 am

Needle thru arm?

Razor Blade swallowing?

If they are good friends, do a bill switch, from a one to a hundred, and let them keep it for their honeymoon...

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Many years ago my magician friend John Zardin was getting married to Pat and I was asked to be his magician best man in the wedding.

The routine as I remember it was begun as rose to silk from my lapel. From there I produced twin doves with the wedding rings attached. It was rather unique, very formal and appropriate for a performing magician.

Unfortunately a dozen years later Zardin was killed in an automobile accident in Oklahoma. He was a lot of fun when we were on the road doing magic together. There was a two week period when we did twenty-seven stage shows plus television. John thought he might reconsider whether or not he wanted to remain a professional magician. Of course, he stayed!

Our favorite saying back then defined our craziness: "The roar of the grease paint the smell of the crowd." It made sense to us!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » December 7th, 2005, 1:22 pm

All of these ideas are much appreciated. Great idea about the Kurtz routine. It's perfect for this occasion.

I've also thought of maybe doing the McCombical Deck using both the bride and groom. It could be a test of how "in-tune" they are with each other. He'd hold the prediction card against his chest while she took a card from the force deck. Thoughts?

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 6:16 am

Originally posted by Dan Trommater:
All of these ideas are much appreciated. Great idea about the Kurtz routine. It's perfect for this occasion.

I've also thought of maybe doing the McCombical Deck using both the bride and groom. It could be a test of how "in-tune" they are with each other. He'd hold the prediction card against his chest while she took a card from the force deck. Thoughts?
Billy McComb is a better doctor than most recognize. The McCombical deck is a lesson in human relations. The lesson is "save the organization" (or organism). If you can't hit the target, move the target. Marrages sometimes require that. Good fit and good entertainment!

I like you idea.

Let us know what you do.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 12:52 pm

Roger Klause's Goose and Gander would work well. It would probably play better if the bride and groom were seated but that shouldn't be a problem.

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » December 9th, 2005, 8:34 am

What's the plot of Goose and Gander?

Thanks...

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 2:18 pm

The effect is that the lady selects a card and the gentleman "reads her mind" and vice versa. It involves a clever method of cueing the spectators ending with a card on your forehead. The plot is excellent and allows for some comedic byplay.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”