Ring in Ball of Wool

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Ring in Ball of Wool

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2006, 11:03 am

I'm looking for something to use as a slide for the ring in ball of yarn. Any options come to mind for any of you clever folks out there? Advice from anyone who has done the trick would also be appreciated. I have seen something called the Harlequin Box advertised, but hope I can find a slide for less than $300!

Mark

Re: Ring in Ball of Wool

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Hey, Mark; Try S.S. Adams products at the magic shop. They still make coin slides for the coin in nest of somethings, I believe. Maybe you could open it up a bit. Also - for something longer, find a metal cigar tube and gently flatten it, inserting something into the tube as you do it to prevent it from collaping and leaving enough slide room for the ring you anticipate using. Paint it any color you need for camouflage. I've used both. --Mitch Dutton

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2006, 1:31 pm

If you are going to do the ring in the ball of wool, you probably need an oval slide rather than a flat one. Go to your friendly hardware store and purchase a brass tube like the ones that are used in toilets. Then take a dowel that is about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than the tube, insert it into the tube, and convert the tube from round to oval using your favorite method. Mine is a vise.

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2006, 6:08 am

Thanks for the excellent ideas. I'm going to try the cigar tube method first because it will give me an excuse to buy one!

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with the Harlequin Box.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Just an update to thank Bill for his thoughts and Mitch for his great idea to use a cigar tube. It is soft enough to easily make into an oval, yet the metal is slick enough to pull out of the yarn ball easily.

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2006, 11:44 pm

Fitzkee's "Magic By Misdirection" has a nice method that does not require a slide at all.

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 9:32 am

PVC tubing is perfect. I've been using it on a project I have been tinkering with. You don't want to have to reject a ring due to its size.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2006, 7:03 am

Originally posted by frank starsinic:
Fitzkee's "Magic By Misdirection" has a nice method that does not require a slide at all.
Man Oh Man! That's the only method!
Powerful Direct and Simple!

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2006, 12:55 pm

In fact, this gives me an interesting idea for the finale to a different project altogether.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”