JUAN TAMARIZ "Crossing the Gaze Switch"

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Ruben Padilla

JUAN TAMARIZ "Crossing the Gaze Switch"

Postby Ruben Padilla » March 28th, 2002, 6:16 pm

I've successfully performed this switch in a close-up and stand-up setting, but am considering trying this to switch a bill on a stage. Has anyone tried this in a large audience setting, and does it work okay? Thanks!
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Rafael Benatar

Re: JUAN TAMARIZ "Crossing the Gaze Switch"

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 29th, 2002, 12:46 am

Tamariz does it all the time for 500 people and more. If your bill is folded in a small package it's not a problem. You just need to be able to... well, not palm it, but conceal it for an instant. With an unfolded bill you're in a different case. As the title of the move implies, where and when you look is essential. For another brilliant way to switch an object on stage, if you speak Spanish (and your name suggests that you do), you might want to check Miguel Puga's lecture notes. You can contact him at: magomigue@aespectaculo.com

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » March 31st, 2002, 8:42 pm

Muchas gracias por su ayuda, Rafael. Es un honor a hablar con usted! :)
Ruben
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » April 1st, 2002, 7:17 pm

De Juan Tamariz. ?Que lo pase de libro de "memorized deck" en engles? Mi espanol es malo.

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2002, 3:26 am

Maana - caballeros - caracol - bandido - tapas.

Hasta la vista,

Juan 'Loco' Pezzullo

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2002, 2:38 pm

Ha ha-o. Very funny-o. But i don't get it-o. It has all the charm-o of what Michael Close-o calls a Dennis Miller joke-o. Please stop it-o.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » April 2nd, 2002, 4:54 pm

Hi Ruben,

Heres another endorsement for the effectiveness of Juans "Crossing the Gaze" switch in stage work. Richard Sanders does the move all the time in his corporate shows for audiences numbering in the thousands, in the context of his wonderful bill-in-lime routine called "Sour Dough" (see The Close-Up Assassin, 1997).

And Rafael, you told me you were French?
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 2nd, 2002, 7:19 pm

Originally posted by John Blaze:
Ha ha-o. Very funny-o. But i don't get it-o. It has all the charm-o of what Michael Close-o calls a Dennis Miller joke-o. Please stop it-o.
Well John...
I don't get it either. My knowledge of spanish is zero.
I only speak swedish (rather well for a farmer's boy who's grown up in a rural area of Sweden), and just a tiny bit of english (as I lack any higher education). So, I'm probably the least suitable person here to guess about the contents in the conversation above - But let me make an attempt anyway.

It seems like the first spanish comment from Ruben was triggered by the answer from Rafael. That might indicate that Rafael is a spanish speaking person. If that is the case, then Rafael was writing in a second language when he answered in english.
I guess that Ruben felt a bit flattered by that; that someone from another country takes time off to write an answer in a second language.
Now, how can Ruben say "Thanks" in a manner that is equally flattering? Maybe by saying something in Rafael's language?

Now, I know nothing about spanish. But both spanish and english is indo-european languages, so there must be similar things. And looking at Ruben's reply, the structure seems to confirm a "thank you" message. Yes, I'm pretty certain that the spanish message is a courtesy to Rafael.

Then there is something from Brian Marks. It contains "Juan Tamariz", "memorized deck", the word "libro" and "mi espanol es malo".
"Libro" could perhaps be something about a book or library? "Malo" could perhaps have some connection with malfunctioning?
Looking at the structure, once again, makes me guess that it is a question like:
"Will Tamariz book about the Memorized Deck be translated into English? My spanish is not good enough."
... or something similar?

John Pezzullo's message doesn't look right, in structure. I'm guessing that it is a joke, a list of random words in spanish that he, for some reason, feel is missing in the messages above it.

That was my uneducated analysis of those messages.
Your comment seems to indicate that you believe that they wrote in spanish to make fun of you personally.
I have no idea whose analysis, your or mine, that is closest to the truth. But I'm guessing that we will find out soon :)

Oh yes, almost forgot: Yes Ruben, I've tried Tamariz' Crossing the Gaze switch on big stages, and it works very well. However, you must adapt the speed and rythm to suit your own personality, as a sudden change of pace might make it stand out instead of being invisible.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 2nd, 2002, 10:03 pm

Tom - you're pretty much dead on. Now, my Spanish is a bit rusty (it's been about 4 years since I've actually used it), but here's my translation for anyone who's lost:

Muchas gracias por su ayuda, Rafael. Es un honor a hablar con usted!

Thank you very much for your help, Rafael. It's an honor to talk with you.

De Juan Tamariz. ?Que lo pase de libro de "memorized deck" en engles? Mi espanol es malo.

About Juan Tamariz, what's happening with his memorized deck book in english? My Spanish is poor.

Maana - caballeros - caracol - bandido - tapas.

Tomorrow - gentlemen - snail - bandit - covers

Hope this helps,
Jim

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2002, 10:17 pm

I thought I was kidding. Thank you, Tom. Thank you, Jim. I have to take a nap!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2002, 11:41 pm

Cuanta Lamento lo que pasado

How sorry I am for what has happened...

El Guante

The Glove...

Adios

That's all I can remember from my Spanish class.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 2nd, 2002, 11:44 pm

By the way... one of the best deck switches that NAILED ME... was Tamariz at the Vegas Seminar...

I had no clue.

It was so easy after he tipped I nearly cried.

He (of course you know how he runs all over the room) had deck A in hand... stuck it into his left rear trouser pocket...

Did some stuff, patter, etc.

Walked back to the center performing area and took a deck out of his right rear trouser pocket.

Nobody caught it... nobody... NO BUD DEEEE...

He is smart :)

Oh, I note that we don't get no stinkin' emails no more... GOOD... wuz getting too many...

:eek:
Stay tooned.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » April 4th, 2002, 5:22 pm

Jim Maloney was correct in his studious translations. Spanish is indeed Rafael's first language, and as Tom Stone surmised, I was attempting to flatter him by thanking him in his native language. John Pezullo was just being funny (which is fine with me, despite how John Blaze feels :p ). Personally, I think it's great that friends from all over the world can post replies in other languages and feel welcome to engage in conversations with people around the globe. Also, the fact that non-American magicians can post replies filled with grammatical errors and nobody calls them on this is nothing short of polite and helps to foster this global community we're creating. Thanks to Rafael, David, and Tom for answering my initial question. I plan to include the switch for a burnt bill routine next month. To quote Jon Racherbaumer, "adelante"...

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2002, 3:12 pm

Daryl explains the move with his Fusion Illusion trick. A good trick by which to learn it . It uses broad misdirection and may be better for stage than close up. When Tamariz does it, it is impossible to detect even when you know it's coming

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”