Illusion Books...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Illusion Books...

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2001, 10:06 pm

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if someone could please rate/review or just tell me about some of the following illusion books:
"Conjuror Book of Stage Illusions" - Dart
"Illusion Show Know -How-" - Ken Griffin & Roberta
"Illusionseseme" - Kuman
"Genii Illusions" - Edited by Micky Hades
The illusion section of "Greater Magic" -Kaufman
"Great Illusions of Magic" - Byron Wells
"Illusions for Princes or Paupers" - Eugene Poinc

Thanks for your time,
Bruno B.

David Nethery

Re: Illusion Books...

Postby David Nethery » September 8th, 2001, 4:32 pm

First of all, if you are interested in illusions I would recommend that you pick up all the books by Jim Steinmeyer. Currrent book is " The Complete Jarrett". Also look for "Art & Artifice", "Device & Illusion", and "Modern Art". Steinmeyer's the best.

Now, concerning the books you asked about, these are the ones I've owned (or currently own) and can comment on:

"Genii Illusions" has a few interesting illusion ideas reprinted from Genii magazine of years ago.

"Illusions for Princes or Paupers" - Eugene Poinc -------
Gene Poinc is a very creative and stimulating writer/creator. Anything by Poinc is worth reading.
(Poinc's web site is hosted by The Learned Pig Project. TLPP posts public-domain versions of magic books. Go to their web site to register for membership and you get all the TLPP books , plus access to Gene Poinc's web site: http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/

Griffen's "Illusion Show Know-How" contains some great info. on trouping and selling a classic "full-evening" magic show. The information is somewhat dated. It's more interesting as a record of what used to be than what currently is ....... Venues are changing and methods of booking are also a little different than when the Griffen's wrote their book. Still, it is a worthwhile effort from someone who really did it ; really made their living in this field, so it's not just empty theory. Another caveat: "Illusion Show Know-How" is currently published by Abbott's. Abbott's does a terrible job on the production of this book. It looks like it was produced from a xerox copy of a xerox copy. The type is sometimes illegible and some of the photos are worse than useless.
I rembember the original edition of this book being much more clear and crisp (both photos and text) so I assume that over the years Abbott's has misplaced the original plates and is relying on photo-lithos of a copy of the original book. Try to pick up a used copy "cheap".

Byron Well's "Great Illusions of Magic" is a reprinting of some standard "workshop plans" of classic illusions (such as Asrah, Thin Sawing, etc.) from Thayer, Tannen's, Abbott's , etc. Not a whole lot of material on illlusion philosophy or presentation. Just the inner workings ("guts") of the illusions. I recall that most of the plans come from Tannen's. It's "OK" if you can pick up a copy "cheap" on eBay or something. Don't pay the usual "$100.00" asking price. Better to spend your money on the Paul Osborne illusion books.

My 2 cents worth.

D

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Dai ]

Re: Illusion Books...

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2001, 10:05 pm

Hi,

I owned the Genii illusion book and I thought it was worth every penny. Some of the effects don't require a lot of money or carpentry skills. I also own the Rand Woodbury illusion books, and his ideas are well thought out, and it's not the standards that audiences have seen. Just my thoughts!

PEACE
Pete

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”