Need help with escape

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Need help with escape

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2003, 9:37 pm

I will be doing an escape as a promotion deal. I will be chained and shackled then locked in a crate. The crate is attached to a crane with ropes. Before the crate is hoisted up the ropes will be lit on fire. I will try to escape and reach the safety harness before the crate falls. I need help with the rope burn. What type of substance is put on the ropes. I want the ropes to burn through in about three minutes or so. If anyone can help or direct me I would appreciate it. Thanks, Bill

Pete Biro

Re: Need help with escape

Postby Pete Biro » November 17th, 2003, 9:54 pm

If you don't know enough about this aspect, I think you should NOT try this at all.

My sources tell me the rope is lined with a cable that releases when all is OK. You don't gamble on how long it takes to burn through.

I witnessed a guy doing an escape from a box on fire and he wound up in a hospital for a long time suffering from "cooking" from the heat.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 17th, 2003, 10:08 pm

I seem to remember Alan Alan doing a straightjacket escape, while hanging from a burning rope. Mark & Sheila Cannon's Great Escapes website might help you. Pete is right...Unless you can rehearse/practice this for real, not just a dry run, you don't need surprises.
Read concerns raised in "Thomas Solomon-Escape" in FEATURES sections, for more additional thoughts.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 18th, 2003, 9:33 am

Alan Alan did do un upside down straight jacket escape from a burning rope... and with years of experience, etc. he too fell and had a serious head injury.

I worked with Hans Moretti, who did the stunt for us at the IBM, in Norfolk, Virginia, at the pier. We had a huge crane lift him high in the air. It was spectacular, but it was rigged for safety and we had stuntman type padding below.

He had it set so that it "burned through" BEFORE he was fully out and started to fall, just making it. This was a beautifully staged, mechanically perfect stunt--that took him years to refine.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2003, 10:44 am

Pete,
The one and only time we ever did a "burning rope", my rigger used airplane cable inside the rope with a remote release at the top which he released as soon as I was safe. One factor that everyone forgets though is the WIND factor which can both excellerate the combustion rate of the rope buring plus it can move the actual flames very close to you. I truthfully will NEVER do that one again. Aerial escape sure, burning rope, never again!

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Featuring the Jack Dean line of products

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2003, 12:34 pm

Thank You everyone for your advise and concern. Has anyone seen Johnathan Pendragon do the escape where he is chained and locked in a crate and lifted by crane over the water? The crate was rigged with explosive and if he did not escape and shut off the timer it would explode. He did not appear and the crate exploded. Then he came into frame riding a jet ski. Like him, I will not be in the crate when it is lifted. I will make my escape on the ground. I do like the idea of a remote for the wire release, if anyone can get me info on that, it would be appreciated.
I promise to practice a long time before attempting and to use a safety mat. Thanks again guys.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”