Greg Frewin's Levitation Plus

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Greg Frewin's Levitation Plus

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2001, 6:55 pm

Anyone out there know anything about the incredible illusion Greg Frewin does where he levitates a woman and then WALKS THROUGH her while she's floating. I saw it last year at IBM and have been wondering about it ever since. :confused:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ryan Matney

Re: Greg Frewin's Levitation Plus

Postby Ryan Matney » July 24th, 2001, 9:28 pm

Richard,
If I'm not mistaken Frewin performed this same illusion on a TV special. I believe it was "World's Greatest Magic 5", though I'm not sure.
Are you curious as to the method? I have no idea . :(
Are we allowed to discuss methods in depth here??
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2001, 12:31 am

Yeah, that levitation kicks some serious "boo-tay"! :eek:

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2001, 10:15 pm

Being a 15 year old wannabe illusionist, I find myself looking more at methods, rather than presentation, during illsuion performances. I thought Frewin's levitation/pass through was innapropiate to do at a magic convention last year at IBM. As for method, you could see it all by a few hints:
1. Fake legs, no assistant can keep them that perfectly strait for that long
2. His assistant, after floating with her shoulders point strait to stage left, began to lean toward the audience -- as if she was pulling her legs like a fetile position-- then putting them behind his back.
3. No cloth with a pole weighs as much as it looked like it did after the way the stgae asistants brought it on or off.
Hope this brings some insight...

Magicamente,
Steve

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2001, 1:09 am

Actually, it was shown on Champions of Magic 3, unless I'm mistaken and it appeared on two different television specials. Per the voiceover during the illusion, Greg Frewin was apparently the first to make his assistant pass through him. The move itself was not clean or natural and unfortunately Greg's right hand disappeared behind the cover whilst the move was executed.

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2001, 5:22 pm

Hi, I'm new here, and just had to stop when I saw the post on Greg. I had the wonderful fortune to meet him on a cruise in July and he was great. I also saw that special on tv. I have no idea what special it was, but I was amazed by the trick. He didn't give away any of his secrets to me but we do keep in touch. I wonder if I ask him about it if he'd tell me. I have some pictures of us on the cruise together on my website, but didn't get any pics of his show because they asked for no photography of it, which sucked, but oh well. He did a bunch of card tricks for me and I saw how he did some of them by mistake actually. Although I'm still not positive how the whole thing works, I know they're trick cards and that's half the battle. It must take so much practice to do them without screwing up. The other entertainers were his cloe friends, Mike Robinson, comedian/ventriloquist, and Paul Tanner, singer/impressionist. The cruise was a blast, and I really enjoyed hanging out with those guys, they were hysterical. It was funny too cause when I met them I didn't know they worked on the ship and when I found that out, I still didn't know who they were. Then after a day and lots of conversations later, I realized I had seen Greg and Mike before on TV. I was in shock for a minute when I realized these guys were so well known and actually like big international stars and stuff, but I got over it and spent the whole cruise enjoying their company. My mom, a friend and I even had them to our cabin for a little party one night. They were such gentlemen it blew my mind. And I do have to say, Greg is really cute in person. I am married, but if I wasn't, look out!! Anyway, maybe someday I'll ask him about it and we'll see what he says. Later!! FF

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2005, 10:10 pm

Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Being a 15 year old wannabe illusionist, I find myself looking more at methods, rather than presentation, during illsuion performances. I thought Frewin's levitation/pass through was innapropiate to do at a magic convention last year at IBM. As for method, you could see it all by a few hints:
1. Fake legs, no assistant can keep them that perfectly strait for that long
2. His assistant, after floating with her shoulders point strait to stage left, began to lean toward the audience -- as if she was pulling her legs like a fetile position-- then putting them behind his back.
3. No cloth with a pole weighs as much as it looked like it did after the way the stgae asistants brought it on or off.
Hope this brings some insight...

Magicamente,
Steve
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You'll never really learn to appretiate things that way. And you'll never come up with anything worthwhile yourself, presentation wise.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”