Pack Small Play Big

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Pack Small Play Big

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2002, 10:24 am

Hi my name is Nove and i am new in this forum.

I am working on board as waiter and i do have little extra duty as MC for Crew Show and the long of this show is 45 up to 55 minutes and can not be longer.

I have been doing Magic as hobby for three years and mostly closed up magic. And now since i have an extra duty as MC i would like to add some little magic into my act.

I did Vanishing Bandana for 5 months and this is really pack small play big but just because the regular magician on board will have this into his act and he asked me kindly not to do this anymore.

So now i do really need help from my senior to give me some advised which's the best magic trick replacement for my Vanishing Bandana.

Something that make them laugh and also reputaion builder.

I do really appreaciated and thanks a lot,
Nove

Re: Pack Small Play Big

Postby Guest » November 15th, 2002, 4:42 am

How about a jumbo invisible deck?

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » November 15th, 2002, 6:02 am

McCombical prediction is a great trick and is availble in Jumbo size. Any color changing silk using the TT also plays good. Hand Chopper also packs small, and can play big if you do a good routine. 6 card repeat, yeah I know but for lay public works great.
Well there is a million out there.

I saw Michael Ammar do the bottle from silk follow by a coin in the bottle and played great for a big audience. :D
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2002, 9:34 am

Hi guys ,
Thanks a lot for your replied, for Jumbo Invisible deck the magician on board does too and as well as Jumbo mc.combical deck.

Well i know it seems hard to belived.
thanks a lot once again guys.
nove

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » November 16th, 2002, 10:32 am

Try to get a trick called what's next, made by Tenyo and carried by almost every dealer. It is a torture for magicians, but plays decent for lay public. Any rope routine is also good, but this is going to take some time to master. The gypsy thread can be done for stage as well. Linking rings, linking ropes, cardiographic is great effect too, where a card rises from a drawing. It is made by Martin Lewis.
How about a ring flite? Lite flite for a levitation, the Anderson newspaper tear, a straigh jacket escape, bill to impossible location, etc...etc...etc... :D :D :D
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2002, 11:19 am

Have you ask for suggestions from the magicians on board? They might help redirect you... Other ideas might be "Bill in Lemon" (Doc Eason's routine is funny and plays well), Thumb cuff can be a lot of fun, Horserace by Ali Bongo is great (it's in his lecture notes...Paul Daniels did it on TV.). Of course you could check out Dan Harlens Tapes titled, "Packs Small Plays Big."

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2002, 1:17 pm

DON'T DO BILL IN LEMON!!!

I am sitting here with a bloodied tissue around my thumb from bill in lemon. It was my own fault for doing the set up with a really sharp 8inch knife whilst driving to a gig late.

I think I need stitches.

Is Dan Harlen's work any good? I heard he tried to pass of the standard presentation of the colouring in book as something new and exciting? Is this true?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 16th, 2002, 2:07 pm

If the hired Magi asked you not to do his bit then perhaps he should intruct you in a replacement trick?

I like the idea of What's Next. You could play it as you explain that the magician is trying to teach you magic.

Since it's a sucker effect that looks like an obvious trick it can be played as a simple trick that isn't fooling the audience until the climax.

Plus, you get to advertise for the magic act, which will certainly be appreciated (if the trick goes over well, that is...).

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2002, 4:20 pm

yea, don't use a really sharp knife! A lemon is easy to cut with a dull table knife! As for Dan Harlen's tapes...I really like them. It's not just about learning tricks, he is presenting a complete show and teaching some basics on routine construction that are good. With the coloring book he is showing how to use it in you birthday show in a routine to get the kids involved. Much is not original, but there are some clever twists and things to make to think creatively about constructing your own routines. For example, I didn't care much for his sponge ball presentation, BUT I really appreciated the thinking behind it...Applying the "ball over head" psychology to the balls without really tossing them. I'm still working with the concept... I love his "Lester," and "Starcle." These are solid routines he's giving...not just tricks.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2002, 6:38 am

Best MC routine I've ever seen is Harry Anderson's Cuff Links. You can play it for laughs as long as you want, customize the routine however you want (less magic, more comedy), plus with an audience member onstage you're sure at least one person won't forget you.

Best of luck,
Sean

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » November 18th, 2002, 8:23 am

Although it sounds like your situation is a little different, the following information may still apply.

Magic for the M.C.

General Guidelines for Emcee Magic

1) "In the Hands"
2) Comedy Based
3) Visual / "Propy"
4) Patter / Story Based
5) Simple
6) Adaptive (You may need to cut short, or string on)

Considerations for Emcee Magic at a Magic Show

1) Do not perform effects similar to the other performers.

2) Do not perform magic stronger than the other performers.

Books ( " * " denotes general public)

* Home, Home on the Stage: A Master of Ceremonies- Guide to All Occasions by Martha Bolton

Beyond Compere - Terry Seabrooke

MC Bit Book - Algonquin McDuff (not great, but maybe worth a look)

Comedy and Bits of Business

* "Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Podium: The Speaker's Complete Guide to Great Jokes, Anecdotes, and Stories" - Herbert Victor Prochnow

Laughter Legacy - David Ginn

Comedy Techniques For Entertainers - Bruce Johnson

Jokes for Card Magicians - Gary Darwin

Sleight of Mouth - Harry Allen

Comedy Lists - Duane Laflin

Every Trick in the Book - The Amazing Johnathan

Comedy Warm Ups - David Ginn

Bits of Business and More - Anthony Owen

Audience Warm-Ups - Duane Laflin

Videos of use for the Emcee

Making Magic- The Stand-up Creations of Martin Lewis
Magic is Entertainment - Terry Seabrooke
Too Close- Magic of Michael Close Vol. 4
Parlor Mentalism- Max Maven Vol 1.
Funny Business For Kids Shows - Patrick Page

A few suggested magic effects / bits excellent for the M.C.

Rope Thru Body / Neck
Lotta Bowl
Inexhaustible Sponge
Cut and Restored Rope
Clippo
Double Dribble
Executive Decision
Technicolor Prediction
Lucky Lady
Professor's Nightmare
Six Card Repeat
Red and White
Torn and Restored Newspaper
Insurance Policy
McCombical Prediction
Power Aces
Giant B'Wave
Hot Book
Hunters Knot Mystery
52 on 1 Card
Mish Mash Card
Jumbo Monte
Afghan Bands
Funken Ring
What's Next?

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 9:28 am

Hello Guys, how are you ?

Well i am so sorry for being late to reply all, since i am on board i just can check my e-mail when the time i am on port, so pls forgive me.

I do really appreciated with wll of your responsed it's really mean a lot to my resource..so now i will think which's really match with my act, since i do not have much time for the show.

Because there are still some singers and dancers would like to performed, i just want to have reputation builder in magic world and to make them cheers also awake (the show is 11.15 pm).

Thanks one more time maybe i will thinking about torn and restored news paper (i heard form Tony Stevens is good one ? is that true ? give the answer pls...) and 6 card repeat.

Well thanks a lot guys,
nove

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 9:57 am

Packs Small, Plays Big

Biliard Ball/Multiplying Balls
C&R Rope (still magic to lay people)
card productions
diminishing cards
cards up the sleeve
needle through balloon (another trick that amazes people)

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » November 19th, 2002, 8:50 pm

I am not familiar with Tony Stevens torn and restored, but for sure you will not go wrong with the Anderson one. It does takes practice, and is not easily reseateable. But it has great impact.
Carlos Hampton

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 20th, 2002, 6:30 pm

Check Jay Marshall's book, "How to MC and Put a Show Together." :D :D :D
Stay tooned.

troublewit

Postby troublewit » November 20th, 2002, 7:33 pm

Speaking of Jay.....have you considered "Troublewit"? Made for MC work!...Also, "3 balls in the net" by Silent Mora, Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, taught by Johnny Thompson...can't pack much smaller, or play much bigger. (Though the routine is long for an MC Bit.) Don't overlook Terry Seabrooke's very funny T&R newspaper gag on his "Magic is Entertainment" video.
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2002, 5:11 pm

Just a suggestion. But I think you should not do any thread work....

It is very pack small. But plays way to big.

In other words. I use a levitation with for my finale.. what else could follow such strong magic?

Later

Tim

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 9:51 am

Hi Tim How are you ?

Did you do levitation for you finale show ? Does it require special lighting ? and also very special set up ? What method are you using it ? (if you don't mind ).

Thanks a lot,
nove

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 2:27 pm

Nove

I'm fine thanks. How about yourself?

As for the thread work. Yes I do levitations for my final effect. Whether platform or close-up.

I use Fearson's hookup for the cigerette. But often use other objects as cigerettes are frownd on in lots of places.

"Plug begin--- I have a release out just yesterday called "Timotheous Paradox" That's a new twist to thread work. And I feel can help many magicians become more versitle.
Even if this is your first thread effect I garantee that you will like what I am sharing.
And many of the effects can be performed closeup or on stage. And I encourage you to use the gimmik in other ways... 55 page pdf manuscript or printed with the gimmik.. (I really suggest the pdf since it's faster to recieve. And the gimmik is "SUPER" easy to make yourself.)
I'll have some reviews up soon. So don't take my word for it. (I never liked hearing what the inventor has to say... but always went to the reviews)
"Timotheous Paradox"
Plug end---"

Now as for lighting restrictions. Yes there are limits to the angles with any thread routine. I suggest that you have a friend watch you perform your effect whatever it may be. And to view it from diffrent angles in relation to your position. This is a sure fire way to find out if IT will work in your situation or venue.

Also there are some 'super-threads' avaliable now that are so strong it's not even funny. I have a sample of one... and a single strand can be tied to a empty soda can.... and you can swing it around the room??? How cool is that?

Although you might tick off the other performers... since you'll do some super strong magic that will be a hard act to follow!!!

And as always... if the plug offends anyone email me and I'll edit it out...

Have a magical Day

Timotheous

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 3:00 pm

Talking of Soda cans, Healed and Sealed is a great stand up trick.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2002, 9:39 am

YES Anders Moden's Healed and sealed would be perfect for a MC!!!

great idea...

Timotheous

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”