Tommy Wonder's "The Ring, The Watch, and The Wallet"

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Tommy Wonder's "The Ring, The Watch, and The Wallet"

Postby NCMarsh » September 5th, 2005, 7:06 pm

I am looking to add this piece to my repertoire. As I look to find a machinist in my area to fabricate the metal pieces required for the watch/money feke, I am wondering:
  • has anyone here had this work done before?
  • does anyone have a sense of what a reasonable price for the materials/labor to manufacture the feke is?

best,

N.

Re: Tommy Wonder's "The Ring, The Watch, and The Wallet"

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2005, 3:47 pm

If I wanted one of those and did not feel I could

make it myself I would get in touch with Tommy

Wonder. He has sold his inventions in the past

and shipped them to the U.S. i don't have his

adress or email but it was in the ads when he

advertised the zombie system of his, If not

Losander could probably tell you......Mike

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2005, 6:08 pm

I haven't heard of Tommy ever manufacturing this item for sale.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Is he still boycotting travel to the U.S.?

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2005, 11:05 pm

According to the price list Mr. Wonder sent me in March of this year, the Watch/Ring/Wallet was going for:

Ring Watch and Wallet 1.050,00

Which is a deal in any currency.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 9:24 am

Is that the same "Ring, Watch, and Wallet" that is on Vol I of Tommy Wonder's VISIONS OF WONDER DVD? L&L still has the DVD for $35 bucks or so, according to a quick on-line check....

opie

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 6:45 pm

O -

There is an arcane apparatus involved which most who own the DVD can't replicate.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 7:13 pm

Ah....thank you....

Arcane....So the DVD does not have the secrets that are known to only a few people?

opie

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2005, 10:10 pm

The DVD fully explains how the effect is done. However, to perform the effect you need a certain apparatus that a machinist would have to make for you. If I remember correctly, on the DVDs it says all manufacturing rights are exclusively reserved by Tommy Wonder.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2005, 1:44 am

Thanks Dan...opie

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2005, 5:40 am

From watching the DVD, all I can see is you need a strong R..l and then you need to attach the money to the watch, I really don't think you need a machinist to do that. The mechanism is explained on the DVD, and I believe you can make it yourself. However there are plenty of other ways to attach the money to the watch before its pulled.

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2005, 6:37 am

Originally posted by Vraagaard:
...However there are plenty of other ways to attach the money to the watch before its pulled.
Agreed about there being plenty of other ways to set up this routine. What Tommy Wonder offers as advice in his book is priceless. If you read between the lines, he pretty much tells us that one needs to explore and find solutions that serve our individual needs. And that this process is both labor and materials intensive. Also that the results need to be tested hundreds of times.

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2005, 8:14 am

Originally posted by Shane Cobalt:
devise a method of putting the watch back on your wrist ....-Shane
Did Jeff Sheridan publish his appearing watch?

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 5th, 2005, 5:12 pm

I appreciate the suggestions. A few thoughts:

First, were I inclined to use a pocket watch, I would use Alton Sharpe's beautiful "The Devil's Watch" from Expert Hocus Pocus (a gem of a book that no one seems to talk about). An excellent version of the Burglar trick.

As for Topiting etc. -- I appreciate it. But one of the features that makes Tommy's routine so exceptional is the level of conviction made possible by Tommy's particular method. It is exceptionally clean and, to use a much abused line, looks like real magic.

Vraagaard -- Tommy spends (and I think this is appropriate as the place to learn the construction of the prop is from the book) very little time on the DVD explaining the construction of the watch -- he just outlines how the feke functions. The money is not simply attached to the watch -- indeed, it is not attached to the watch at all -- it is threaded through a brass plate which is attached to the watch by a custom brass hinge. Attached to this hinge is a strip of brass that must have an "S" curve to lie naturally against the fingers. To this strip is attached the piece that the fingers clip. This piece needs to look like a continuation of the watch, so it must be curved and must covered with watchlinks (which have to be ground down and then attached to the brass to be the proper thickness). So, while the function is simple and there is only one moving part -- it does require the ability to bend, cut, and drill metal.

I have thought some about alternative materials (and may make a maquette out of modeler's styrene), but it seems like if i'm going to go to the effort of building the thing -- it would nice for it to have the permaneance of metal.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions -- they are greatly appreciated.

Best,

N.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”