Some sound advice

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Some sound advice

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2007, 11:33 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about investing in a portable sound system. I'm curious to know if there are any industry standards that i should know about, or just your recommendations, before i get too far along.

Thanks!

Bob Farmer

Re: Some sound advice

Postby Bob Farmer » November 19th, 2007, 6:50 am

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2007, 7:59 am

That seems like a great place to start!
Thanks, Bob.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2007, 8:26 am

I love my Fender P-150.
I recommend any of those Fender lines.

Mine is about 6 years old now,
but its the bestest thing next
to the world greatest Roland Keyboards

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2007, 9:17 am

There are many excellent sound systems out there - choose the best you can afford. Radio mikes (wireless systems) will offer you greater manouvrability and allow better views (no mic stand) and leave your hands free to do the magic.

I do not know whether there is the same system in the US, but in the UK we have a T-Loop system that allows people with hearing aids (deaf aids) to tune their equipment in to your PA so they are not distracted by ambient sounds - a really good idea.

Tony

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2007, 4:53 pm

I got to see Tim Sonefelt perform the other night at our local magician's meeting. He had a really nice system, comprised of a Paso PA w/built in wireless receiver, an Ipod, Soundtech controller, and a Countryman headset mic. A truly awesome sound, running around $1,200 +, depending on the type of mic you decide to use.

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2007, 8:00 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
Go to:

http://www.magicroadie.com/
Thanks, Bob!
That's my site. I'm not selling anything --- just helping. What I present are application" guides with easy-to-understand-and-apply principles. Nothing anecdotal.

In order to effectively utilize a PA system, you need to have a firm grasp on the principles at work. Trying to use a PA system without applying proven, factual principles would be the same as trying to perform a magic trick without no real understanding of magic principles. Doesn't matter if the trick is "Hot Rod" or "Bullet Catch", and it doesn't matter if the PA system (or wireless mic system) is tiny or truck-sized.

I don't offer buying advice. What I offer are easily-digestible facts that will help you make your own decisions. Let me know if you have questions about audio principles or their application.
Cheers!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 22nd, 2007, 5:34 am

I think if you performed the "Bullet Catch" with no real understanding of magic principles, you wouldn't need your own PA system -- there's usually a in-house system at the funeral home.

Dan -- how does that weird-looking Bose system work? Is it like most Bose stuff -- overhyped and overpriced junk where they spend all the money on the ads and none on the gear?

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2007, 7:14 pm

Dan -- how does that weird-looking Bose system work? Is it like most Bose stuff -- overhyped and overpriced junk where they spend all the money on the ads and none on the gear?
Bob,
I haven't heard the Bose "cylindrical radiator" system, so I don't have a useful opinion. I, too, however, don't trust Bose' marketing, after too many hype-not-met experiences. I know that Todd Rundgren successfully used these as stage monitors for a couple of tours, and I imagine him to be pretty particular. I might try to arrange a demo.

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2007, 8:25 am

Originally posted by Dan McLean Jr-MagicRoadie.com:
I might try to arrange a demo.
Dan:

Please do! A friend and I both had our eyes on that, expensive as it is.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 24th, 2007, 5:32 am

Dan, when I saw that Bose system, it reminded me of an anorexic version of the old Traynor columns. Anyone playing in a band in the late 60s and through the 70s moved these things around alot.

The bands I was in usually ussed four, two pointing at the audience and two pointing across the stage at the band from the sides powered by a 50 watt or 100 watt Bogen (or maybe it was a bogus -- I can't remember).

Readers note: though probably no longer available, the microphone of choice in those wild days was a heavy silver Electro-Voice shaped like a club -- it did double duty because you could use it to hit drunks who attacked the stage and defend yourself when full-tilt boogie bar fights erupted (a regular occurence in Northern Ontario bars catering to miners).

Postby Guest » November 26th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Readers note: though probably no longer available, the microphone of choice in those wild days was a heavy silver Electro-Voice shaped like a club -- it did double duty because you could use it to hit drunks who attacked the stage and defend yourself when full-tilt boogie bar fights erupted (a regular occurence in Northern Ontario bars catering to miners).
We called it the Buchanan Hammer in my day. Named after Buchanan Michigan(?) where Electro-Voice was located. Good mike, too

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 26th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Ray, that's a great name. I guess my version would be the Canadian Club.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”