Weller Eggs for Egg on the Fan

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Weller Eggs for Egg on the Fan

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 11:03 am

Weller Eggs which were made of latex are no longer available. I can't find any source for a latex egg. I've been experimenting with getting the membrane from Duck Eggs with only limited success.It would be wonderful if someone on the forum has had experience with the Egg on the Fan and has blown eggs for the membranes. Please help if you can.

Comus

Bob Gerdes

Re: Weller Eggs for Egg on the Fan

Postby Bob Gerdes » November 29th, 2007, 11:51 am

Have you read John Carney's method in The Book of Secrets?

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 8:46 pm

If you haven't already, check out: http://www.leirpoll.com/rubber.htm

JMD

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 9:46 pm

I remember visiting Lou Lancaster who did a wonderful presentation of the Egg on Fan. I had to use the bathroom and found a bath tub filled with duck eggs and what seemed to be several gallons of vinegar slowly disolving the calcium shells.

Duck eggs are preferred because the membrane is thicker. Rubbing with a bit of glycerne is good once you have the membrane free of the shell. It can take time, so be patient.

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » November 30th, 2007, 11:16 am

Comus,
I tried to respond to your PM, but it bounced back. Is your email address right?

Have some more info for you...

Bob

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Hocus Pocus was selling a version that wasn't as good as the Weller egg but isn't terrible. I basically quit duing the effect once the Weller egg's became so scarce.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, FL

Geoffrey Durham

Postby Geoffrey Durham » December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 am

If you can wait a couple of months, my new book Professional Secrets will be on sale in February. It contains full details of how to manufacture the eggs very easily. I have eggs which were made over twenty years ago and still work fine.

www.geoffreydurham.com

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Check out Donato Colucci's book, "The Encyclopedia of Egg Magic."

He provides complete instructions on preparing duck egg skins.

I've made a few using his instructions -- they seem to be quite durable.

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2007, 11:03 pm

Check out Bob Blau's World of Magic. It has the instructions on how to make the duck eggs from the man who put the Egg on the Fan on the map -- Tommy Martin.

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Lucy and I have plenty of real ducks at the ranch and I have also used Weller eggs for several decades.

This is a case of not being "Ducks and Ducks". The real duck eggs will work. However, even the real duck eggs are a poor substitute for a good Weller egg.

In time there will be no choice left. Other brands have been very disappointing to me. They will flatten fine but they don't spring back like a Weller.

It's not that hard to make one from a duck egg. But the Weller egg beats it hands down.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2008, 1:26 pm

I find duck eggs are the best. The Weller Eggs just pop up into an egg too fast. The magic is in the materialization or change from one object to another. i.e. rose petal to egg. I get gasps from my audiences during this change. So spend the time to make your magic eggs from duck eggs. They last for ever as well. Enjoy the process. remember your living your passion!

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2008, 9:46 pm

My memory conjures up the recollection that the earlier Weller eggs were really good for the Egg on Fan as they opened slowly but that the later editions of the egg weren't quite as good. Possibly made by someone else who wasn't quite as skilled as the originator?

There is also the technique used in manipulating the egg skin with the fan, more of a flipping/spinning motion than a straight bounce. I believe Bob Blau's book was mentioned as it has the straight dope from Tommy Martin himself. Worth the time to hunt it up if you want to do the trick. Also, he has a great method for the Spirit Cabinet. The book is dirt cheap for what's in it.

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2008, 9:55 pm

How do we get Bob Blau's book Bill?

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2008, 10:11 pm

Originally posted by Tony Brent:
How do we get Bob Blau's book Bill?
Our H & R Magic Books' website lists a used copy in stock for just $12. I'm not in a position to make a physical check of the inventory until tomorrow, but would recommend you order it to reserve it on the chance (pretty good!) that we do have it.
www.magicbookshop.com

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2008, 6:20 am

The method for creating these from Duck eggs is detailed very nicely in John Carney's "The Book of Secrets", which was mentioned at the top of this thread.
I've made them from John's instructions and they work beautifully.

wanmagic

Postby wanmagic » August 23rd, 2008, 3:01 am

I just bought a very nice egg from Hank Lee Magic Factory looks very good. It is called the perfect egg. Hank lee markets it as the egg on the fan. Just search his site. It cost about 29 bucks. Hope this helps.

Richard Green
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger; Dr. Stanley Jaks

Postby Richard Green » October 3rd, 2008, 4:18 pm

I'd searched for duck eggs to no avail. Used "extra large" chicken eggs and they worked great!

Bob Sanders

Postby Bob Sanders » January 26th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Richard,

I come through Tennessee frequently. If you still have the problem this spring, rattle my cage and see if there is a way to get duck or goose eggs to you. When we have them, we have lots of them!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz
AmazedWiz@yahoo.com
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com

Richard Green
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger; Dr. Stanley Jaks

Postby Richard Green » January 29th, 2009, 10:39 am

Thanks for that, Bob. I was really struggling in working with the egg skins, ended up getting one of the newer latex eggs called "Perfect Egg". It's a great replacement for the Weller eggs, and only cost $20.

Bob Sanders

Postby Bob Sanders » January 25th, 2010, 11:52 am

Although I have tried most of the egg replacements for the Weller Egg, I have not really found the equivalent of the Weller Egg.

I have not (to my memory) seen Ford's egg. But that gives me hope.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@yahoo.com

SilkMagic@DoveLite.com

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » January 25th, 2010, 5:08 pm

the perfect egg is great for that effect! I sell a LOT of them
PERFECT EGG