First show.

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

First show.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2002, 4:32 pm

Hello this is my first post. I just gave my first kids show today. It was a bit of a struggle getting everything ready. It was mainly complete chaos until I got to the party and I did great and the kids loved it. Now I only got twenty dollars for a thirty minute show. My question is do you think shis is a good price for my first show?

Jeff Haas

Re: First show.

Postby Jeff Haas » August 11th, 2002, 1:52 am

Ben,

For a first paid show, that's not bad. You've got to start somewhere!

It'll feel chaotic the first few times you attempt an entire new show; it always does. Later when you have a bunch of stuff you know how to do, then you'll put in something new and you'll wonder how well it's going to work until you actually do it.

To make your life easier, use your word processor to create:
- a list of the effects you do in the order you want to do them
- a packing list (everything you need to do the tricks, so you don't forget anything when you're packing the show at home, and after it's over)
- a setup list (how to set up your show when you get there)

You also will learn that, for small shows with less than 50 people, you don't need a ton of props...one case can hold everything you need. When you start doing shows for 100 people or more, then you'll need to find material that plays bigger.

Jeff

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » August 15th, 2002, 12:19 am

All of Jeff's thoughts are very good suggestions for a person who is "new" at doing shows.

I've been doing shows since I was about 11. I think I earned about $50 for half an hour of stuff. I recall the show, it was terrible!

In the effects I use for shows I attempt to find material that is easily works for small groups AND large groups.

I have a number of prop items to fit the bill...I now try to use things that I can make. (over the course of a month I went through Tarbell to find things...and found some very wonderful items)

One thing, too, make sure everything can be transported easily. Try to find a set way for setup and strike-down.

Just some thoughts.

Brad

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 15th, 2002, 11:25 am

Brad,

Fifty bucks for a show by an 11-year-old is pretty good! You must've shown an early aptitude for sales. ;)

Jeff

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » August 15th, 2002, 11:38 am

Jeff,
And to think, the show was for other magicians!

Perhaps it was some kind (and subtle) donation? At 11, I took that money straight to the magic shop.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 15th, 2002, 1:53 pm

Ah, I see. Do you remember if anyone said, "Here kid, buy yourself a couple of Tarbells."

Jeff

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 15th, 2002, 6:34 pm

"Tarbells" ??? No, I think he said "Barbells" the kid was weak! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can still remember the first show I did for the Oakland Magic Circle... I was so bleeping nervous when I finished and got back stage wtih my table I had totally forgotten to do my best trick. It was still standing there, on the table, undone!

:D :D :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2002, 1:25 am

My first kid's party (at nine - $20) I did 30 tricks in half an hour. At 12 I had it done to 15 ($55) at 18 I was doing 10 tricks for $100. I know get $165 I have 6 tricks in my 45 minute kid's routine and I still slay them.

Less is more. (except when it comes to fees)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 18th, 2002, 3:44 pm

Slaying kids? In Australia is it not against the law? :confused: :eek: :confused:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 18th, 2002, 3:45 pm

Favorite OZ story.

Billy McComb flies to Australia, going through imigration he is asked, "Do you have a prison record?" His reply, "No, is one STILL REQUIRED?"
:D :D :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2002, 6:15 am

Pete

Thanks sooo much for sharing that. I laughed for 5 min. straight after reading it. After spending two weeks with Billy I did not think I could laugh that hard for a while.

Cheers Pete
Reesman

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”