Backdrop Help

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Backdrop Help

Postby magicking » August 24th, 2007, 4:31 pm

I have a standard Jet Set anyone have a source for an affordable backdrop that would be suitable for kid shows to use with this?
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Re: Backdrop Help

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2007, 5:40 pm

If you are at all handy with a sewing machine....there are fabric shops that will sell you material by the yard. You should find something to suit.

Bryan

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 8:36 am

My wife and I were able to cobble together a nice sparkly backdrop for my six-foot Jet Set, using material from Hancock Fabrics. We lined it with black material on the back, so that I had the ability to use the area behind the curtain as a "backstage", hidden from the audience's view.

I have seen some guys use the big six foot square silks, like the one with the rabbit in the hat, or the dragon, and they work great for the six foot wide Jet Set. All you would need are some velcro dots on th stand and the silk to hold it in place. Makes for a nice splash of color behind the performer.

The Jet Set comes in two sizes, six and eight feet wide. Which size do you have ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

magicking

Postby magicking » August 26th, 2007, 2:01 pm

I have the 6 foot one...do you have a direct link to the fabric site and which material you use?
Michael King

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 8:22 pm

The store I got my backdrop material from was called Hancock Fabrics. They were just ten minutes from my house, which was a great convenience. Unfortunately,they closed the store this past spring, darnit ! I am pretty sure they are online, but have never ordered from them in that manner.

As for the type of fabric, you might want to just go to a local fabric store, as I did, and get some advice from the ladies who work there.

The girls at the store steered me to a type of material that has sequin-type dots all over it. It was very difficult to sew on a machine, as the sequin dots are plastic, not very friendly to needles.

The store sold us some type of liquid that you can put on the needle every so often while sewing. This was supposed to make it easier to get the needle to pass through the sequins.

It was such a pain to do it on the machine that my wife and I ended up taking turns sewing by hand, something new for me, as is sewing in general, for that matter. This has been a plus, however, as I am now sewing my own strings of silks, sewing buttons on my costumes, etc. Less hassle for my wife !

I think the stuff we used for the liner on the back of the curtain was a type of black polyester. Very opaque. I love how this gives me a backstage area, even at my living room birthday shows.

I strongly suggest you visit a local fabric store, and talk to one of the clerks. They are usually fairly intrigued by someone sewing for a magic act, and are more than willing to make suggestions.

Be prepared to spend some time, though, as it is not like going to the 7-11 ! There are usually a few women waiting to get their supplies for sewing, so it may take some time to get waited on. My patience was always rewarded at the Hancock store. Man, I miss them !

Good luck !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2007, 2:14 pm

I don't know about a Jet Set but I think that a local photography shop may carry backdrops. I don't know if they are big enough but it is just a suggestion

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 10:20 pm

I just recently purchase the Abbott's 8 Foot Jet set. Here in Michigan we have a craft store named Jo'Ann Fabrics and that is where I purchased some polyester type material that does not wrinkle. I had the person who d9oes my sewing make me a set of curtains and they look wonderful. In order to keep the curtains closed I have used velcro dots to secure the front so it is closed and looks full.

Rodney

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 12:09 am

Ron Bauer and Sandra Kort wrote instruction sheets for the Abbott's Jet Set (which I thought you still receive when you buy one form Abbotts). It had some KILLER ideas on how to use them as not just backdrops, but SET PIECES. Really a neat instruction set. You should contact Abbott's and see if you can get them if you don't already have a copy.

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 2:05 pm

I bought my Jet Set from Abbotts a couple of years ago, and there were no "instructions" in the box. Only the stand. This is the first I have heard of this. They were backordered when I ordered mine. I had to wait for almost two months. Maybe they got in a hurry when they shipped them out (since they were backordered), and forgot to put in the sheet mentioned in the last post.

Regardless, I love my Jet Set, and it sure works great. Sets up and tears down in a flash, and the top wingnut serves as a great place to hang my coat while I am setting up my props !

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2007, 12:08 pm

Hi MK,

My wife is a professional seamstress, and when I bought a Spider BD, sent my fabric panels for Jet Set to Ron Allessi (http://www.internationalmagicauction.com/) on consignment. They are in beautiful alternating light blue / deep ble panels with a channel on the bottom for a chain that gives them weight and holds the panels in place.

Ron may still have them - if not, he may have returned them, and, if so, I'll dig through my stage stuff and sell them to you cheap. Contact him.

I hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

HP

magicking

Postby magicking » October 5th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Paul
I didn't see them anywhere on the site..could you check and see if you got them back? You can email me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Michael King

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2007, 9:49 am

Did you email Ron Allesi directly?

Sometimes he doesn't show everything he has.

Let me know what he finds - but I'll look around here.

Paul

magicking

Postby magicking » October 7th, 2007, 4:55 pm

I emailed Ron and no reply yet..have you had any luck finding it Paul?
Michael King

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Hi MK,

I also emailed Ron, and if I don't get a response, I'll assume I lent them out from here.

If you would like, email me privately at preachersparrow@wi.rr.com and my wife said she would be happy to make you a set to your own specs. Anti-wrinkle fabric, a well fitting "crossbar" center panel and bottom chain are what really sets her's apart. We can talk price, color, etc. - but I would truly like to help you out with what will work for your budget. She can make them in a short session, so you would have them to use soon.

Kindest Regards,

Paul

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2007, 9:43 am

In the years while Jet Sets were not generally available, I built my own from drum stands and EMT (conduit or electrical metal tubing). After Jet sets hit the market, I decided I was better off with what I had built. But Jet Sets are cheaper.

The curtains are made from robe velour. It works well because it is light, does not wrinkle, is washable, looks great and available. I'd certainly do it again. When you have a sponsor with a message to post, simply pin their sign, banner, etc. right over the backdrop.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2007, 9:39 am

If you look at the message on Ron's web sites, you will see that he will be away until just before Hallowe'en.

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2007, 9:22 am

...that's right - Ron just wrote me to say he will be back on 10/22, and he will look for the panels.

Paul

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2007, 7:25 am

Metalized (sp) fabrics are terrific they are light weight and don't wrinkle, they are difficult to sew seeking out a seamtress is not a bad way to go how many times do you get tux a
want to add pockets and you don't sew, enough said

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 8:45 am

***Ron Allessi is back in town and has the Jet Set Panels.***

You should call him at:

(513) 678-6146

Paul

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2007, 7:55 pm

O.K YOU GUYS,,GO TO ADORAMA.COM,,GO TO BACKGROUND STANDS,,,,YOU CAN BUY A FANTASTIC SET, 2 UPRIGHTS, AND A CROSS BAR (ADJUSTABLE) WITH NICE CANVAS CASE FOR ABOUT 90 BUCKS I HAVE TWO SETS,,CANT BEAT IT, CROSS BAR GOES TO 9 FEET. DONT MISS THIS ONE STAN KRAMIEN USED BY PHOTOGRAPHERS TELL ME THANK YOU STAN

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 3:45 am

For years I have used a mylar backdrop...it looks great and doesn't cost a fortune, but if you need to hide things behind it it is not what you want...I used mine just for looks.

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2007, 11:21 pm

Kramien,

I think your "caps lock" key is stuck. Or something else is stuck.

You're welcome.

HP

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”