Bamboo Stick Thing?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Dan Trommater

Bamboo Stick Thing?

Postby Dan Trommater » January 14th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Please forgive the sketchy details...

I remember seeing someone (Norm Neilsen?) perform a beautiful routine with a bunch of sticks (maybe bamboo) held together with string. He formed different shapes with it, much like a troublewit. What is this thing called? Where can I learn more about it?

Thanks!

Re: Bamboo Stick Thing?

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Dan Trommater:
Please forgive the sketchy details...

I remember seeing someone (Norm Neilsen?) perform a beautiful routine with a bunch of sticks (maybe bamboo) held together with string. He formed different shapes with it, much like a troublewit. What is this thing called? Where can I learn more about it?

Thanks!
I remember this as well. It was available from dealers back in the late '70's. I think the first person I saw with one was Rich Marrotta, or maybe Martin Lewis, not sure. The item came from Japan, if I recall correctly, and it was like a Troublewit, but seemed to hold up better, and offered different types of figures, etc. I'd like to know more about this too - anyone?

Best, PSC

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 14th, 2006, 3:46 pm

It may be a classic Japanese item. I was on a show in Tokyo and a group of Japanese men in "Happy Suits" did this all in unison.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 14th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I believe it's called a Tamasudare, which is a Japanese window blind or mat, but it can be formed into various shapes. Martin Lewis has a wonderful piece using this item. I have no idea where you might find anything on it, but Google might be a start, if I have the name correct.

Dustin

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » January 14th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Google "Nankin-Tamasudare". It's not very well known in the west, so there aren't many opportunities to see it performed as stage entertainment.

Even here in Hawaii, where we have a large Japanese population, few are familiar with it. So, it'll be a bit of a treat for us when the Japan Nankin Tamasudare Association comes here in March for the annual "Honolulu Festival".

Here's a short clip of Mark Mitton's goofy presentation:

Click here to watch

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 14th, 2006, 6:13 pm

I believe Mitton is a registered Silly Goose! Thankx
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 2:29 am

I live in Japan and get the Nankin-Tamasudare for you, however, they are pricey, depending on the quality. Since I don't check this blog often, PM me at mikeapplegate@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 12:08 am

To anyone who emailed me about the Nankin Tamasudare, I need some time over the Xmas holidays to look around in Japan for some. They are not impossible to find, but not exactly overstocked either.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 12:42 am

http://www.japandanceart.com/4/A8_1.htm

click on "bamboo magic" and see the amazing number of things you can do with this "prop"...

And while I haven't explored his site thoroughly, he evidently teaches how to make one.

Thank you for exposing us to this item!

Amos McCormick

Postby Amos McCormick » December 15th, 2007, 3:30 am

Originally posted by castawaydave:
http://www.japandanceart.com/4/A8_1.htm

click on "bamboo magic" and see the amazing number of things you can do with this "prop"...

And while I haven't explored his site thoroughly, he evidently teaches how to make one.

Thank you for exposing us to this item!
I'm sure it's more effective when viewed live...

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 4:00 am

Wow! Amos, in Mississippi I thought the primary use of bamboo was for fishing poles! Here in Alabama we "jug fish". LOL

Good to see you up this early in the morning.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”