Idea for presentation

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Pete McCabe

Idea for presentation

Postby Pete McCabe » February 3rd, 2005, 10:30 pm

It occured to me that someone could do a terrific stand-up routine for cut and restored, by using iPod headphones. The cord could be cut and restored, and the musical accompaniment could cut out and resume accordingly.

This would resonate with just about any audience today.

I rarely perform in a stand-up, platform or stage venue, so I can't really do anything with the idea. But anybody who likes it should feel free.

Brian Marks

Re: Idea for presentation

Postby Brian Marks » February 3rd, 2005, 10:41 pm

Stand up is a forum im in. Ill use it and post my presentation here.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » February 3rd, 2005, 10:50 pm

Another idea is to have your patter stop. And continue 10 or 15 second ahead when restored. I dont work with music in performance.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 4th, 2005, 7:37 am

Brian,

That's a good adaptation, but you might want to cut and restore your mic cord in that case.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 4th, 2005, 11:14 am

David Nixon has beaten you to it I'm afraid.

He has a gorgeous cut and restored mic routine I remember from my childhood.

iPod 'phones is a nice variation though.

esp if you created the song with the pauses in it as an mp3, stuck it on the pod and then did it. Clearly never actually cutting the real ipod phones, but timing the act so that when you cut the dupe, the music cuts out on the (not paused) mp3.

Scott Sullivan

Postby Scott Sullivan » February 16th, 2005, 8:59 pm

Pete,

That's a great presentation. I love ideas like this. I had a presentation a few years ago (2000-2001) that I won a couple awards with (at the MAES convention and Split Rock Spectacular) doing a Pavel Walking knot routine with tin cans on the ends of the ropes. When the rope was 'cut,' the music and voices of kids talking on the tin cans would cut off and be replaced with a dial tone sound.

As the knot moved left and right, the tone/pitch of the voices went up and down.

Perhaps you could do something like this with the headphones. After cutting the headphones and the music stopping, you tie the two pieces together again and the music is playing, albeit slower. As you slide the knot, the music speeds up until it is too fast. Then slide back down and vanish knot as music goes back to original speed.

Scott

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2005, 8:26 pm

I noticed someone mentioned using a pre-recorded break in the MP3 music, I suggest using your music straight through and having a stage hand press a pause button on your music to simulate the break in music. this is easier and will cause less embarrassment, should you not perform on schedule, we performed a vanishing boom box for years and we always used a perfect recording, which was rigged through a guitar treble peddle to make distortion when the radio was covered, then the pause button to stop the music for the vanish, there were times during the routine when the music was stopped and turned back on as my sons apparently messed with each other on stage, one forgetting to turn the music off, the other then turning it back on, every time one turned it off the other turned it back on behind his back, each time the music was really being paused on and off by me back stage... trying to keep perfect timing could cause a nightmare, although knowing when to turn it off could be easy, a certain beat act as if you turned it off, but when to turn it back on could cause problems, it is so much easier to just have a friend turn it off (pause it) for you when they are cued

Hope that makes sense, more important I hope it helps

Ken

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”